Holly tree stump...............

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Holly tree stump...............

Post by stevewestern » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I have just cut down a small (9ft) holly tree in my garden as it is sitting directly next to a manhole and above my clay drain pipe.
All thats left is a 2ft stump, and I want to stop it sprouting again, and ideally get rid of whats left.
I don't want to try to dig it out for fear of damaging the pipes so what would you suggest is a good approach - I've read that drilling a load of holes will help kill it, as will glyphosate. However, is there anything that I can use to try to speed up the rotting process, ideally at the same time as killing it off ?

Thanks for any suggestions !
User avatar
arco_iris
Senior Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm
Location: SW Wales & W Tenerife
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by arco_iris » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Cut it down as low to the ground as you can get, then light a bonfire on top of it?????

There's a video on youtube of this, it takes a few days but it is quicker than waiting for it to rot - & it shouldn't harm clay pipes (wouldn't recommend on top of plastic ones though). Once smouldering it will keep going as long as banked up.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
stevewestern
Rating: 7.14%
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by stevewestern » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:44 pm

arco_iris wrote:Cut it down as low to the ground as you can get, then light a bonfire on top of it?????

There's a video on youtube of this, it takes a few days but it is quicker than waiting for it to rot - & it shouldn't harm clay pipes (wouldn't recommend on top of plastic ones though). Once smouldering it will keep going as long as banked up.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd not thought about a fire.
I'd need to try to find a way to contain it as the neighbour has a wooden fence within 2ft, and also, the stump seems to be oozing liquid - water I think, so may need to wait for that to stop (we have had it pretty wet here, and I just hope its not the roots sucking it up from the drain...
User avatar
arco_iris
Senior Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm
Location: SW Wales & W Tenerife
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by arco_iris » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 pm

stevewestern wrote:I'd need to try to find a way to contain it as the neighbour has a wooden fence within 2ft
Depending on what is available to you, some saturated sacking or other material, a couple of plasterboard offcuuts, a pile of old bricks, in front of the fence 2' away ought to protect it - we are not talking Guy Fawkes, you can start the fire small and build it up. Barbecue charcoal???

Then bank it up to keep the heat in.

Proviso - it's an idea, I haven't tried it!
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by stevewestern » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm

arco_iris wrote:
stevewestern wrote:I'd need to try to find a way to contain it as the neighbour has a wooden fence within 2ft
Depending on what is available to you, some saturated sacking or other material, a couple of plasterboard offcuuts, a pile of old bricks, in front of the fence 2' away ought to protect it - we are not talking Guy Fawkes, you can start the fire small and build it up. Barbecue charcoal???

Then bank it up to keep the heat in.

Proviso - it's an idea, I haven't tried it!
Again, thanks !
I'd imagined a hotter fire, but BBQ charcoal and plasterboard are not so hard to get, so will look into it over the next few days...!
I may try to get hold of an old dustbin and cut off the base to form a casing for it, which will also help keep it going.
Might need some marshmallows though.
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 320 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by Argyll » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Ammonium sulphamte is your best bet. Drill a few holes, dilute the mixture with water and pour in every few hours until used.

Ammonium sulphamte can be bought from ebay and is basically nuclear strength.

Some people use diesel but nothing else will grow afterwards. Ground with ammonium sulphamate will be fertile again after a year or so.

I've used it several times.
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3826
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 320 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by Argyll » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

User avatar
Timllfixit
Senior Member
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by Timllfixit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes, Diesel(or Creosote/ Paraffin or even old engine oil) works. In my experience it doesn't seem to leak out of the roots into the soil. But maybe I was lucky, and all very much unapproved of and I no way recommend or condone it.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Holly tree stump...............

Post by stevewestern » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Well, at this stage I've got a garden waste incinerator that I've cut the bottom off and placed over the stump. Holes drilled into the stump and filled with paraffin, then charcoal on top. It's been burning for a few hours and I hope to keep it going for a couple of days. I'll report back then!
Post Reply

Return to “Gardeners World”