What's good?

All games can be posted in here.

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

What's good?

Post by kellys_eye »

Wow,

either we're too clever to bother or we're too lazy - either way the games corner hasn't had a post in it for coming up two years!! Time to update the subject a bit.....

Android gaming seems to be taking over where PC gaming (and console) left off but the last game on any platform that enthused me was the DukeNukem series. I'll happily play any version from #1 to the last one before they ruined it by trying to make it like every other first-person shooter game.

Basically the platform-ish concept worked well and the game play was excellent hence the days of enjoyment.

But what's good these days? I haven't played a game for a number of years now (Mrs k_e is engrossed in a 'Farmville' kind of thing) and I've even checked out the top 25 platform games for Android but none seem to enthuse (possibly because I simply can't be bothered to try-before-I-buy ?? ) so I'm going to try asking for recommendations before just getting them willy-nilly.

If anyone is familiar with the DukeNukem genre in particular and can suggest somewhere to start with a replacement I'd appreciate some feedback :thumbleft:
Don't take it personally......
steviejoiner74

Re: What's good?

Post by steviejoiner74 »

My two boys are gamers but other than the odd game of FIFA with them I find console gaming just to time consuming for me now,plus there are around a dozen buttons to contend with.
I play 8 ball pool on my iPad,it's pick up and play so it's great.
I stopped gaming a while back tbh. I was playing some retro games on world of spectrum. Pretty much every spectrum game available online,it was a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane.
I'm sure duke nukem is available via an amiga or Atari st emulator online,I'm not sure tho!

Here's my top 5 games ever tho on all platforms.

1-jet set willy-spectrum.
2-outrun-arcade
3-sensible soccer-amiga
4-championship manager-pc
5-Steve Davis snooker-spectrum.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I'd have said that "Serious Sam" and "Painkiller" are probably the most like DN. Oldish now, available for Android too by the look of it.
I like the "Thief" series. The first one is still the best. Don't know if that's on Android
Just played the first "Dishonored" on the PC. Thought that was excellent.
Max Payne is good as well in all it's versions.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Jet Set Willy (classic) and Serious Sam were both games I played in the Spectrum era. I'm not looking to recreate those games (although I wouldn't mind trying them on an Android platform with 1080p resolution) but trying to locate alternatives that offer the same type of gameplay but are specifically designed for use on Android.

Like you Stevie I can't cope with the multi-button joystick controllers and am happier with left/right, jump/shoot kind of thing.

Reminds me that I started playing with F1 on the XBox a year or so ago and found the realism to be excellent - it makes the appreciation of the real F1 races more acute as you learn the track from the drivers point of view - but the controller was total crap..... the steering was 'little bit (no response), little bit more (still no response), little bit more - off the track or spin out! It wasn't the controller as I'd tried others including 'real' steering wheels etc as I was so enamoured with the game I wanted to get it right, it was in the software (I think) and there was nothing I could do about it other than drive like the track rod ends were loose or disconnected :lol:

But Jo plays Laura Croft and can manage 8 triggers, 8 buttons and two joysticks in multifarious combinations but then she's a lot younger than me :lol:
Don't take it personally......

Return to “The games corner”