Painting kitchen tiles

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Nicole2933
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Painting kitchen tiles

Post by Nicole2933 »

Just moved recently and would like to paint my kitchen tiles. I know to clean thoroughly beforehand (especially the grout on tiles behind oven)and sand down and I’ve bought some johnstones tile paint (white), after some research. Although johnstones doesn’t recommend using a primer, I’m not convinced so my question is should I use a primer first and if so which one would be best for this situation?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (276.99 KiB) Viewed 402 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (300.84 KiB) Viewed 402 times
dewaltdisney

Painting kitchen tiles

Post by dewaltdisney »

Painting tiles is not a great way but I can understand that you want to brighten up your kitchen and put your stamp on your new home. The main problem is kitchen grease as paint will not stick to that and the grout will have absorbed some of this. The chances are that you will get crazed lines in the paint on some of the grout lines so your focus is on careful preparation. Sugar soap is good using a stiff old toothbrush along the grout and then wash down with some methylated spirit. I would score down the grout lines with a sharp nail or screwdriver to remove any loose granular surface debris. I think using Zinsser BIN as a primer is the way to go. Look at my link below for some guidance, some of which will be useful in this instance. Use the mini rollers to get nice even coats.

Of course, when you have a bit of money together then replacing the tiles is the right way. We will always guide you on here as there is no reason why you cannot do the job yourself better than some of the bodgers purporting to be tradesmen.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Nicole2933 (Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Nicole2933
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Painting kitchen tiles

Post by Nicole2933 »

Can you post the link again please, I can’t see it.
dewaltdisney

Painting kitchen tiles

Post by dewaltdisney »

Sorry, I shoild have been more clear, it is in blue 'Painting with BIN' at the bottom of my post.

DWD
wine~o

Painting kitchen tiles

Post by wine~o »

:withstupid: except Zinsser recommend bulls eye 1 2 3 as a primer for ceramic tiles.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”