Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Gobley
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Water based black gloss on front door query

Post by Gobley »

Hi all newbie here

After some advice please I’m painting our front door black it was black anyway and not in bad condition but needed a new lick of paint to get it back to its best.
I believe it was an oil based gloss previously so gave it a thorough clean then sanded it down and cleaned again because of the drying time I thought I’d go with a water based gloss (first mistake maybe) I used Ronseals high gloss black gave it a first coat rolling on the flats then laying the brush going with the grain used a brush to do the inlays. Wasn’t impressed with the finish but thought it may get better after the 2nd coat but it hasn’t I’m finding if you go back over this water based gloss even after 10 seconds it loses its sheen and becomes more of a satin finish.
So now I have a dilemma do I buy a different water based paint and try doing a light key or can I go back to using an oil based gloss which I’m more confident with.
Any advice would be most grateful.
BuntyCollox
Newly registered Member

Post by BuntyCollox »

Hi there, this is one that splits many decorators opinions right down the middle! I personally use water based trim paints 95% of the time now both internally and externally. Although I can achieve a completely brush mark free finish, it's taken me a good few years to get to that level. Unless you're completely confident you can do the same, you might be better going with an oil based undercoat and gloss. As for sheen, I think you'll always get a higher sheen level from oil than you will from acrylic. My personal preference for water based gloss is Tikurilla but it's probably only about an 80% sheen. It will get better the more layers you build up but still won't match oil. Hope this helps / makes sense?!
Gobley
Newly registered Member

Post by Gobley »

Thanks Buntycollox I think I’ll go with an undercoat and a couple of coats of Dulux Weathershield Gloss, only problem I will have I expect is the door sticking can’t keep it open being a front door anyone got any tips as to how to get round this.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Nowadays, oil-based paint for exterior doors and windows is no longer practical, especially at the time of year, because of the extended drying times. It would be virtually impossible for it to be dry enough to close even if you wait until late at night to close it.

The only solution is to use water-based, and then you can get the problems you've seen. I use Bedec MSP for exterior doors and I have had a lot of success with it. I've not yet used Tikkurila for exterior doors but, given how terrific their other products are, I wouldn't be surprised if their exterior paint is also terrific.

However... having said all of the above, I wouldn't be doing any outside painting at this time of year because, although we can get nice warm sunny days like today (where I am, at any rate), the temperature drops away so much after lunchtime that the paint won't cure properly. Not only that, there is going to be a lot of moisture in the air, especially overnight, and that will affect both the finish and the longevity of the paint.
Gobley
Newly registered Member

Post by Gobley »

Thanks Tom, that was my main concern from the start with oil based paint. I only started the door as the temperatures were going to be warm for the time of year but now it’s dragging on a bit hoping to finish it this weekend, my thoughts now are to go with a decent water based paint so will give either the Bedec or Tikkurila a try.
Do I put it on as a third coat then possibly 4th coat or lightly sand the Ronseal then put a primer on and start again then the Bedec/Tikkurila.
These users thanked the author Gobley for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Tom d'Angler wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:00 pm Nowadays, oil-based paint for exterior doors and windows is no longer practical, especially at the time of year, because of the extended drying times. It would be virtually impossible for it to be dry enough to close even if you wait until late at night to close it.

The only solution is to use water-based, and then you can get the problems you've seen. I use Bedec MSP for exterior doors and I have had a lot of success with it. I've not yet used Tikkurila for exterior doors but, given how terrific their other products are, I wouldn't be surprised if their exterior paint is also terrific.

However... having said all of the above, I wouldn't be doing any outside painting at this time of year because, although we can get nice warm sunny days like today (where I am, at any rate), the temperature drops away so much after lunchtime that the paint won't cure properly. Not only that, there is going to be a lot of moisture in the air, especially overnight, and that will affect both the finish and the longevity of the paint.
Just finished a job , exterior decorating with oil based that had been delayed a little while. I was lucky with regards to the weather , that little warm spell at the end of october really helped. However , almost at the end with just a downpipe or two to paint I glossed them and it rained shortly afterwards. Looked like acne the next day. Got it rubbed down and recoated successfully but you are right , it's not the best time of year.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:04 pm)
BuntyCollox
Newly registered Member

Post by BuntyCollox »

Yes great point about the temperature dropping. I wrote that reply from sunny Spain where I've been for over a month, You kind of forget its getting cold back home!
Tom, have you ever used terebene driers when using oil? A capful in your kettle does wonders for it curing if the weather's getting a bit iffy and if you're painting doors and windows; I've found as long as you get your gloss on by lunchtime, you shouldn't have a problem with sticking. I am however, a massive fan of the water based stuff now I've cracked how to use them, used some caparol externally during the summer and it looked great. Afraid the sheen level of water based gloss isn't quite there yet though.
These users thanked the author BuntyCollox for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:04 pm)

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”