PaulyP
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wallpapering Advice

Post by PaulyP »

Hi,

I need a little advaise.

I have been renovating a rarely used shower room. There has been some plaster skimming on some walls and others have been filled. All walls were then painted with 2 coats of screwfix bare plaster contract matt white. The ceiling I then painted with Dulux Easycare Bathroom washable. As I liked the finish I decided to paint the walls with it as well. I painted a couple of walls with the first coat of Dulux Easycare. Thinking I had a another can of paint, I started painting the next wall but half way through the wall I realised I didn't and ran out, so blended out the paint to leave it smooth so I could continue when I next could get paint.
So, Right now I have a couple of walls with 1 coat of Dulux Easy care and the largest wall is about 1/3 easycare, 1/3 contract matt and a blended out bit in between.

You're probably wondering why I titled this as wallpaper advise given I only mentioned paint so far so here goes.

We have now decided to wallpaper instead (I know wall paper is not ideal for bathrooms but we have paper in there previously for 15 years without issue). We got the paper now which is a Vinyl based paper by Gallerie and a paste the wall kind.

So how do I proceed from here?

Given its all just in the process of decoration all walls are in perfect condition and I really don't want to sand anything now.

The contract matt area isn't sufficient for wall papering on given its too absorbent for the paste and the Dulux Bathroom which I assume is vinyl paint with a soft silk isnt suitable for sizing with Solvite wall sealer as its only for use on porous surfaces.

I was going to use the Beeline primer sealer but that requires different dilution rates depending on how absorbent. 1 to 1 for non absorbent and 3 to 1 for absorbent - so I cant really use that practically given the different absorbtion levels on the same wall.

Should I continue to paint the walls with the Dulux bathroom care and then use the Beeline at 1 to 1 or is there something I can paint on that will seal the contract matt areas while still sticking well to the vinyl painted areas (and the blended bit in between)?

Didn't think about this before buying the paper but now I have bought it, given how much it cost, I am going to stick with papering.

Any guidance and advice would be much appreciated, as with it being quite an expensive paper, I want to make sure I get it right.

Many thanks

Paul
bitzz

Wallpapering Advice

Post by bitzz »

An interesting scenario, but, first look at the finished product label it will advise that the wall should be crosslined, if so then equalise all the surfaces with a neat coat of the primer sealer.
This will provide a good surface for the lining paper, what you then have to remember is to use the same paste and strength for the lining paper as well as the final wallcovering.
I used this prcess earlier this year I had to redo a room that some "insurance" backed decorators had done when I stripped all the walls back there was a real mish mash of sudstrates and paint - so I used the method above only I crosslined, then lined on top then emulsioned and its absolutely fine, flat and a good finish.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”