Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

aidy55
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Exterior paint coming off

Post by aidy55 »

Ive been avoiding this job for some time now but off for a few days and want to get it sorted out.

This wall was painted a couple of years ago and within 6 months was coming off, even some of the paint still on is bubbly and ready to come off.

On the other side of the wall is below ground level so maybe its the moisture of soil affecting wall.

Another thing is there is a 4 inch hole drilled through the wall which was a make shift gully from the paving we had done in the garden.

I dont want to just slap on more paint with the same thing to happen again. Is there a chemical paint stripper i can get, do i need a primer etc, anything else i need to do to prep walls before i paint.

Is sandtex paint any good, thats what i used, should i go dulux or johnstone exterior paint?
Attachments
IMG_20220706_054505.jpg
IMG_20220706_054505.jpg (430.05 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Puma

Post by Puma »

Your best bet with that section is to leave it bare imo. It looks like it is damp, and most paint won't stick to damp substrates. And if you find a damp resistant paint it will seal the damp in which might well travel elsewhere and cause problems. Another problem is that the cement might have had some kind of silicon additive which might be causing adhesion problems.

I would get a paint stripping gel apply it and wire brush and remove it.
aidy55
Newly registered Member

Post by aidy55 »

Yea the builder chose to paint my house white which is already starting to look worse for wear.

My house is red brick at front, i though, grey (unpainted) was ideal but he refused.

I will try to get a decent paint stripper and scrub this paint off but i think its worth another go as it will look terrible unpainted and rest of wall white.

Maybe this stuff will help the paint stick better

Sandtex quick dry stabilising solution
Puma

Post by Puma »

No that's for friable surfaces and masonry paint does not adhere to it that well (strangely enough). If you want to have a go at getting paint to stick I would put some alkali resistant primer on and then any masonry paint. I believe this area should not even be rendered though and should be allowed to breath or the damp ends up going up interior walls. Please cross post to the builders forum to see what they say.
aidy55
Newly registered Member

Post by aidy55 »

Its a masonry stabilising solution. What other paint would you be using other than masonry paint?

The base of my house isn't great either, no damp, just lots of cracks and chips. I was thinking of using red brick cladding on my house base as a large section of my house is already red brick.

Perhaps i could use the same cladding to cover the base of this wall?
Puma

Post by Puma »

Well if you read my post carefully you will see what paints I recommend - brand not that important as they all have approx the same formulations.

Your best bet might be a coloured render. There isn't really a perfect solution though.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”