Brushes - an apology...

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tom d'Angler

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Tom d'Angler »

I've been involved in a few heated debates on here regarding brushes. For many years, my view was to buy cheap(ish) brushes and chuck them away after use, justifying this as a tax-deductible expense and time-saving exercise. Some people disagreed with me and I always rigorously defended myself because the brush I was using did a very good job.

Last year, my go-to brush brand changed it's manufacturing process and I found none of their brushes were no longer as good as they once were. I then tried lots of different brushes, including some really (to me) expensive brands, but I couldn't find one that I liked.

Then, by chance, I discovered Prodec Ice Fusion brushes. Given the price (a set of 3 for 23 quid from Painters World), they're probably not what most pros would call top of the range but, after using them for nearly six months, I can honestly say they are the best brushes I have used in the last 15 years, no matter what paint I use them with.

Because they're not cheap I bought one of those Dandy brush cleaner gadgets and a 25 ltr fermenting bin and I now wash all my brushes every Friday. To my pleasant surprise, the brushes seem to get even better after washing.

So - here's the apology - my apologies to those I lambasted for "wasting their time and money" on buying and cleaning better brushes. I can now see why you defended your position with such enthusiasm.

(An added benefit to spending 30 minutes outside cleaning my brushes - it keeps me from under Mrs d'A's feet while she is hoovering the house. :huray: )
dewaltdisney

Brushes - an apology...

Post by dewaltdisney »

I can see that it is different for a pro painter to consider washing. I have found that I am washing more now I use water-based paints, I still chuck the hybrid paint ones though. I use rollers a lot and I tend to chuck them although I have washed one out on occasions but it had a bit of a stiff pile after. I have often used a plastic bag to keep brush and rollers alive overnight. I still have a load of Poundland brushes which I find surprisingly good :lol:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:17 am)
Rating: 7.14%
dynamod
Elephant Man

Brushes - an apology...

Post by dynamod »

In a time long ago, in a galaxy far, far away I once was an apprentice who lived in a world where synthetic brushes barely existed and all that we had to use was Hamilton Perfections (really nice) and various dubious offerings from Harris (really not).

The way it worked was to hammer new brushes in emulsion for around a month, then move them into oil, as the flags had been split or worn round. Natural bristle straight from the shelf was truly appalling in trim paints, hence the transition period the brushes went through. It bred a mind-set of looking after the brush, as what you were doing walls and ceilings with one month, you'd be glossing doors with the next. Times were very different, but it meant you COULDN'T throw anything away. Plus I'm way too Scottish to chuck gear away.

My mantra with brushes has always been to get the best I could afford (for higher end work at least) and give them TLC. It does pay rewards down the line, as I have some Coronas that are real delights to use, and they're over 2 years old.

Do I use budget brushes? Yes, but normally for emulsion, and only certain makes/models.

Do I chuck brushes? Again, yes. But only with BIN.

Tom, no apologies needed, as brushes are a very personal thing, but fair play to you for saying this. :thumbright:

I'm from an earlier time as some, and old habits and methods do tend to make for a degree of 'inflexibility' let's say. To drop oil and become a brush fetishist took a hell of a leap on my part in all honesty.

So many brushes, and so little time..... :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author dynamod for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:17 am)
Nihil expectore in omnibus
Puma

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Puma »

The cheap synthetic brushes used to be absolute crap, it used to be Purdy or nothing for years which were way to expensive to twizz. Now the cheap ones I've tried all seem fine but I am way to eco minded just to throw stuff away, so they are all kept as long as they will last.

A splash of meths on a Bin brush to loosen it all up and the rest washes out with water I found to my amazement the other day.

You can use alcohol as a dilutent for hybrid paints if you need things to dry a bit quicker and it might help with washing the brushes out too, they do tend to get a bit claggy after a while.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:18 am)
Puma

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Puma »

Sorry to go off track I am glad you aren't twizzing them anymore Tom they are worth washing out in my book.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:18 am)
hiace_drifter

Brushes - an apology...

Post by hiace_drifter »

Is there any way to refurbish paint brushes? I have some harris brushes that are about 15 years old. The bristles have some paint residue on, and have splayed slightly. I like to avoid chucking stuff, and wasting money, but appreciate they might be beyond saving.
Grendel

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Grendel »

I gave this stuff a try,
https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinseer-brus ... 0mls/6504t
Seemed to work pretty well in combination with one of those brush comb things.
hiace_drifter

Brushes - an apology...

Post by hiace_drifter »

Grendel wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:55 am I gave this stuff a try,
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinseer-brus ... 504t</span>
Seemed to work pretty well in combination with one of those brush comb things.
Would it be ok in sealed jar, or does it need to vent? I'm hoping to use in a large kilner jar, with some kind of wire stand so the brush isn't resting on the bristles.
Grendel

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Grendel »

Don't know really. Without finding it out I seem to recall it says to only soak for about four hours agitating every so often. I just used a glass jar without any sort of lid.
dynamod
Elephant Man

Brushes - an apology...

Post by dynamod »

hiace_drifter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:43 am I have some harris brushes that are about 15 years old
I'd be surprised if they can be salvaged. Once paint has cured, even the most effective brush restorer will struggle. A dried brush (not cured) is one thing, but when the paint has gone through the curing process is another.

If by some miracle they can be recovered, rubbing them out on a roughcast wall (somewhere unobtrusive) can work wonders, though a few goes with brush cleaner beyond this stage will still be required. There's also no guarantee the brush will recover its original profile and shape. Good luck with it though. :thumbright:
Nihil expectore in omnibus
Grendel

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Grendel »

I've seen a friend attack a solid paintbrush with a hammer and wire brush to get it back to something like usability but after that it was used for daubing red oxide so nothing that required any finesse. To be clear that zinseer stuff I linked to was used on brushes that had started to build up at the base of the bristles. That worked pretty well. I did try it on an older brush and it required several longer soaks and more work and didn't really get it back to perfect condition. It may have worked if I had continued but one has to make the balance between the value of the brush against the cost of restorer and the time and effort involved.
Desmondo15

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Desmondo15 »

Big fan of the ice fusion, probably the best I’ve used and continue to use. Razor sharp lines and smooth finish. Only negative is they aren’t magnetic.
Tom d'Angler

Brushes - an apology...

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Desmondo15 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:18 pm Big fan of the ice fusion, probably the best I’ve used and continue to use. Razor sharp lines and smooth finish. Only negative is they aren’t magnetic.
Exactly the same thoughts. Best brushes I've every used. Stand up really well to cleaning in the Dandy.
hiace_drifter

Brushes - an apology...

Post by hiace_drifter »

Grendel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 am I've seen a friend attack a solid paintbrush with a hammer and wire brush to get it back to something like usability but after that it was used for daubing red oxide so nothing that required any finesse. To be clear that zinseer stuff I linked to was used on brushes that had started to build up at the base of the bristles. That worked pretty well. I did try it on an older brush and it required several longer soaks and more work and didn't really get it back to perfect condition. It may have worked if I had continued but one has to make the balance between the value of the brush against the cost of restorer and the time and effort involved.
I might take this opportunity to chuck the old brushes! Every time I see them it "adds yet another job to my list", but i never get round to doing it. Plus, as you say, it would not be a good use of my time :)

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”