Anyone know what happened to Painters Pitstop

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Puma

Post by Puma »

Hmm seems to be on a prolonged down period at the moment, as in it looks like the whole site has been deleted.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

url? the one I tried they havent paid the bill
pp.jpg
pp.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
waterbased (Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Puma

Post by Puma »

Yeah that's the one. painterspitstop.com A bit a shame there seems to be no info about its demise. It has been down for over a week now.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Put it this way, if you owned a website/forum what ever, and you could not pay the bill and so it closed, would you want to tell anyone it closed and that you hadn't paid the bill, and if you did want to reveal all, where would you tell everyone? you couldn't do it on your own website...........because it isnt there.

TBH I would say they are having "technical difficulties" and that it will be back sometime, if a website closes and is no more you will get

not found

the requested url was not found on this server.

In your case, you don't see that, so it is there, just you can't access it, hence technical difficulties

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

I'd be surprised if it had been deleted, but you never know I suppose. Wouldn't admin make an announcement prior to any server maintenance to prevent speculation and inform the users?

For it to just die off is odd. :scratch:

Was it getting much traffic/use/posts as I'm never on PPS these days.

The Wall2Wall debacle a few years back killed any interest I had, as it was nothing but arguments for weeks on end.

It was a good resource though.
Nihil expectore in omnibus
Puma

Post by Puma »

Hi mate, yeah the wall2wall stuff was absolutely epic! My God weeks of arguments, it was such a load of b*llocks.

Painters Pitstop had, I am pretty sure, been getting quieter and quieter so I think Tim might just have thrown in the towel. He could have lost a sponsor or two as well. It is a real shame as he seems to have taken the site down; there was a lot of useful information on there.

Anyway hopefully he will bounce back from whatever is going on. The way he has left it now with no explanation or anything is disappointing.
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

In all honesty, I can't help feeling that forums in general are in decline and have been that way for a while.

I know Facebook gets blamed a lot in this respect, but assuming traffic and sponsorship provide the financial means, it's easy to see how once a forum starts to slip it would be hard to bring it back.

Bib n Braces got pretty quiet and may also be gone. I think correct moderation goes a long way towards creating the right atmosphere, but some forums tend to self-moderate anyway.

I always found PPS a strange place if I'm honest. There were a lot of quality posters, but it had more than its quota of outright bell-ends. There was a one-upmanship about much of it that I simply didn't care for at all. Everyone is learning from everyone else. There are no 'stars' or 'wise old men'.

Not really a criticism as such, but more of a personal observation. :salute:
These users thanked the author dynamod for the post:
Puma (Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:00 pm)
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

dynamod wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:25 amWouldn't admin make an announcement prior to any server maintenance to prevent speculation and inform the users?
You are overlooking the obvious...............unless you were not here when it happened.

Click here

It happens and the site owner has no control or notice that it is going to happen, so no, it is not normal to get a notification a site is going offline, and once it is offline, how can you get a notification?

Puma

Post by Puma »

S -E It has been down for a couple of weeks now, that's why I posted it seems to more than just a server outage which are, in my experience, always fixed in less than 24 hrs.

Dyna - Yeah the snob factor on Painters Pitstop was pretty high and there are lots of people going to extraordinary lengths just to decorate a room. Generally the quality of info was great though.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Puma wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 amt has been down for a couple of weeks now, that's why I posted it seems to more than just a server outage which are, in my experience, always fixed in less than 24 hrs.
If the site had gone bust you would see

not found

the requested url was not found on this server.

But you don't, you see a web error page, so the server is working

It may be that it is run by a one man band and he is off long term sick?

dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

Puma wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 am Dyna - Yeah the snob factor on Painters Pitstop was pretty high and there are lots of people going to extraordinary lengths just to decorate a room. Generally the quality of info was great though.
Agreed. It was also a good resource for new materials/products, as someone always seemed to be trialing new gear. Some worked, some didn't, but it was useful to get the drop on new stuff.
Puma wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 pm the wall2wall stuff was absolutely epic! My God weeks of arguments, it was such a load of b*llocks.
It was little more than a willy waving contest between 2 people as I remember it, and I suspect it did a lot of damage that the site never fully recovered from. In my humble submission it was handled very poorly by the mods as it rumbled on for far too long and dragged far too many people into its path. It split the forum into factions which was very unhelpful. Like many things in life, some simply got too close to it all and really needed to stand back to see the bigger picture, minus their egos.

Hopefully something will take it's place in a 'New and Improved' fashion a la Dulux. :thumbright:
Puma

Post by Puma »

Yep it was a weird one, it was as if there was a forum war for a while. As you say the mods did let a few moaners stay on the site being an absolute bore for ages.

Anyhow it's gone for the time being. The way it was closed is a bit of an insult to those who spent quite a lot of time putting reviews up there. Tim should have handed it on just as it was given to him many moons ago. I guess it might just come back, time will tell.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post (total 2):
dynamod (Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:58 pm) • waterbased (Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:53 am)
Rating: 14.29%
Theo Arboria
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Theo Arboria »

I heard through the grapevine that Tim was off on hols when it went down and nobody else to sort it out. Sounds a bit odd but who knows. It was a good resource and recently most posters were forward thinking people sharing useful info. Unlike the F~B Dec Forum that seems to be mostly 15 year old school boys with a 1980s mentality!
These users thanked the author Theo Arboria for the post:
waterbased (Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 am)
Puma

Post by Puma »

Thanks Theo, I should have probably mentioned that Wayners who was a regular poster got in touch to say the same thing - the system went down whilst Tim was away. It is looking like a permanent failure at the moment so Wayne has set up https://pro-painters.freeforums.net Thanks again.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Meh, it's just another abandoned forum, owners lose interest, or it's not making enough to cover the bills, typically the site will stay up until the domain expires, or the server is taken down

its now gone

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”