Tikkurila

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tom d'Angler

Tikkurila

Post by Tom d'Angler »

I'm in the process of changing to Tikkurila after using Dulux Trade for 15 years. I always liked DT but the quality has declined sharply in the last six months, especially the quality of mixing (from several suppliers), and the amount of dry "bits" around the lid and rim of the tin.

I have always assumed Tikkurila was expensive but they discount they offer pros means many of their products are virtually the same price that I was paying for DT.

I have used Tikkurilla's Anti-Reflex 2 on ceilings for over a year and it really is terrfic stuff.

This week I ordered a tub of Tikkurila's vinyl matt to use on a marked wall in my own lounge. I like the packaging as the design of the tub means it’s very easy to open and there were no bits around the rim ( :lol: ). It looks like the tint is added through a small cap in the lid so the main lid is still sealed properly. The paint was very easy to stir and looked fresh without any separation. It was a dream to put on with both a brush and a roller and the colour-matching to the DT on the adjacent walls is spot-on.

I'm a convert :cheers:
BuntyCollox
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Tikkurila

Post by BuntyCollox »

Welcome to Club Tikkurilla. I too made the switch after being slowly but surely ground down by the inferior quality of the mainstream brands. As you say, their vinyl matt is just lovely and goes on a dream. No picture framing and in 99% of cases I've found 2 coats is giving complete opacity. I can recommend the optiva range but do make sure you use the primer with it. The trim paints are very decent but there are better out there. My personal preference these Days for trim is caparol and I've heard great things about isomat. 👍
These users thanked the author BuntyCollox for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:10 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Tom d'Angler

Tikkurila

Post by Tom d'Angler »

BuntyCollox wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:58 pm I can recommend the optiva range but do make sure you use the primer with it.
:thumbright: I asked Tikkurila about the Optiva range and they said they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't flash but the could guarantee that for their vinyl matt.

When you use Optiva and their primer, does the Optiva need two coats, so three coats in total? Seems a bit overkill when their VM covers in two (unless someone wants a silky finish, of course).
BuntyCollox
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Tikkurila

Post by BuntyCollox »

So I've found that the lighter shades especially with the optiva grin like a Cheshire cat, so if the client wants the scrubbable option then I price in for a tinted coat of primer and then a couple of optiva 5. If you're covering a strong colour underneath then it might be better to go 2 coats of primer. All that said, the vinyl matt is washable so adequate in most scenarios.
I know of one or two who say that they've not experienced the same issues as me with the optiva opacity so I sometimes wonder if I'm being way too fussy.
These users thanked the author BuntyCollox for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:22 am)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”