Painting Utility Room

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

mrsparks

Painting Utility Room

Post by mrsparks »

I'm just about to embark on painting our new utility room. It's been plasterboarded and skimmed so I'm waiting for that to dry fully - someone suggested a couple of weeks.

Looking for recommendations for the best type of paint. It's not going to be steamy room, but it will have a washing machine and tumble dryer. I was thinking Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt? It'll be white on the ceiling so I'm thinking I should do the whole room in white first and then paint colour on the walls.

I know I have to mist coat first. Last time I painted bare plaster, many years ago, was a disaster. I don't think I watered down the first coat and my roller technique was probably too vigorous - ended up pulling pieces of paint off leaving and awful surface. Lesson learned I hope.
mrsparks

Painting Utility Room

Post by mrsparks »

Hmmmm. Just seen some advice to not use a watered down vinyl matt as a mist coat.
bitzz

Painting Utility Room

Post by bitzz »

I think it was written somewhere by Dulux that you can use their thinned vinyl matt as a mistcoat (shows how poor quality their paint is)
I'm still old school and use a proper mistcoat reduced by 20% - 2 litres water to 10 of contract matt been using this strength for years never had a problem with it.
Neelix

Painting Utility Room

Post by Neelix »

Does your new utility have an extractor fan ?
mrsparks

Painting Utility Room

Post by mrsparks »

Neelix wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:31 pm Does your new utility have an extractor fan ?
Yes, it does.
mrsparks

Painting Utility Room

Post by mrsparks »

bitzz wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:29 pm I think it was written somewhere by Dulux that you can use their thinned vinyl matt as a mistcoat (shows how poor quality their paint is)
I'm still old school and use a proper mistcoat reduced by 20% - 2 litres water to 10 of contract matt been using this strength for years never had a problem with it.
Contract matt seems to be the way to go. I see various ratios recommended - even as much as 50:50. I guess too thin is better than too thick.
Megaross

Painting Utility Room

Post by Megaross »

50:50 contract matt is what I use in mist coating, you want to avoid at all costs it not properly adhering else you're just in a world of hurt. All you're trying to do with the mist coat is reduce the porosity of the plaster.

Long as the plaster us uniformly dry you're fine to paint it. Full thickness bonding/ hardwall with skim on top will take a few weeks but skim on plasterboard a few days to a week depending on temperature, humidity etc.

Dulux trade vinyl matt would be fine, any quality trade paint.
These users thanked the author Megaross for the post:
mrsparks (Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 am)
Rating: 7.14%
mrsparks

Painting Utility Room

Post by mrsparks »

Cracking on with painting our new utility room. I've done the walls and ceiling in contract matt so far. I've bought vinyl matt for the walls but I'm wondering whether I could leave the ceiling as contract matt. The utility room will have a washing machine and dryer, a sink and combi boiler and is fairly big - about 5m x 2m - if that matters. Any opinions?
dewaltdisney

Painting Utility Room

Post by dewaltdisney »

As long as your tumble drier is vented or a condensing type, there should be minimal moisture present and that will not cause issues in my opinion.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
mrsparks (Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:44 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”