Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

MarkP1
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Paint lead platforms - Checkatrade, mybuilder, etc

Post by MarkP1 »

Hi all!

Newbie here, I have a question for the professional painter/decorator who runs their own business.

How many of you use a service like Mybuilder, Rated People, Checkatrade, etc?

I help painters with their online marketing and when I analyze their activity with these platforms it turns out that a lot of them are bleeding money. Most don't even know if it's profitable or not.

The overall feedback is also not very positive. Most complaints that I have heard are:
  • These platforms keep raising their fees
  • The leads are worthless, but you still have to pay
  • Qualified and trained professionals are competing against rogue traders who will ALWAYS beat you when it comes to pricing
  • And...(sadly) there are competitors who create fake jobs in order to have you spend your marketing budget :cussing:
What are your experiences with this platform and what do you rely on to get new business? word of mouth, Facebook?
Curious to hear your opinions and perhaps I might be able to provide some tips. :thumbright:

Cheers
Mark
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

All I know is good tradesmen never look for work, it comes from recommendations mainly and they have long lead times. These purported trade sites are purely there to make money for the site owners they seem to have a tarnished reputation with false reviews, chancers professing expertise, and so on. You may as well use Yell for what good they are.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Neelix

Post by Neelix »

Don’t waste money on check a con man , or the others - their reviews are questionable to say the least

Most good trades get work by word of mouth, so advertising isn’t necessary
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

MarkP1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 am I might be able to provide some tips.
At what cost?

Are you anything to do with the website "mylocalpainter"
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
banjerbill

Post by banjerbill »

My first thought was this is spam, I wait to be proved wrong.
These users thanked the author banjerbill for the post:
aeromech3 (Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:08 am)
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

MarkP1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 am What are your experiences with this platform
Hi Mark

As you've seen from the comments so far, not many professionals need to use that type of service because we get most of our business through word of mouth. When I first started I had some business cards printed and delivered those to houses in my area. I got plenty of work form that and then the recommendations started rolling in. I advertise on my van and in the local church magazine, but this is mainly as a "memory jogger" for people (I've lost count of the customer who say something like "I've been meaning to call you for ages and then I saw your van outside Mrs So-and-so's..."

Unfortunately, the public is taken in by the exaggerated promises of sites like Check-A-Trader and believe they are getting a verified skilled tradesman when they are often getting the opposite.
These users thanked the author Tom d'Angler for the post (total 3):
Neelix (Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 am) • bitzz (Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:31 pm) • MarkP1 (Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:12 am)
Rating: 21.43%
MarkP1
Newly registered Member

Post by MarkP1 »

Someone-Else wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:27 pm
MarkP1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 am I might be able to provide some tips.
At what cost?

Are you anything to do with the website "mylocalpainter"
Hi Someone Else,

At no costs whatsoever. A forum like this is where you share knowledge right. So if someone has any questions related to marketing I am happy to provide my 2 cents.
And I am not sure how you got to mylocalpainter, but yes I have indeed done some consultancy for those guys :)
MarkP1
Newly registered Member

Post by MarkP1 »

Tom d'Angler wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:29 am
MarkP1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 am What are your experiences with this platform
Hi Mark

As you've seen from the comments so far, not many professionals need to use that type of service because we get most of our business through word of mouth. When I first started I had some business cards printed and delivered those to houses in my area. I got plenty of work form that and then the recommendations started rolling in. I advertise on my van and in the local church magazine, but this is mainly as a "memory jogger" for people (I've lost count of the customer who say something like "I've been meaning to call you for ages and then I saw your van outside Mrs So-and-so's..."

Unfortunately, the public is taken in by the exaggerated promises of sites like Check-A-Trader and believe they are getting a verified skilled tradesman when they are often getting the opposite.
Hey Tom, thanks for your response. Word of mouth is indeed still the best form of advertising anyone can get. I think it is also easier to establish yourself as the go-to- guy for any paintwork in a smaller village or town. But if you work in let's say London where there is a lot of competition, you will need to showcase your expertise in order to stand out.

As for these platforms, you are right. I believe they have been created solely for consumer and not for the tradesmen. For consumers its easy (and free) to ask for some quotes and use that to compare or - too often - negotiate the price down. Unfortunately, too many people only look at price and don't seem to understand that if you expect quality work you will need to pay accordingly.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

MarkP1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:34 am I believe they have been created solely for consumer and not for the tradesmen.
You are kidding ? The likes of chuck-a-trade are there for no-ones benefit, purely to make money for the company themselves.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
bitzz (Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:52 pm)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

MarkP1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:34 am I believe they have been created solely for consumer and not for the tradesmen.
I'm sorry but I disagree - these platforms have been created to make a profit for the companies that own them. Tradesmen are suckered in to spend money in the hope they will get more work and consumers are suckered into believing they will get a better tradesman for a lower price.

The best way, by far, to build a profitable long-term business is to build up a base of satisfied customers who use you again and again and recommend you to friends, family, and neighbours.

I found the best way to start building a customer base is to advertise locally; business cards through letterboxes, an advert in the local parish magazine, and signwriting on my van. It's is a much cheaper and far more reliable way to attract those initial customers.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

MarkP1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 am I help painters with their online marketing
You'd be better off helping painters with their offline marketing.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”