Exterior wood paint advice please

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

idkhow2diy

Post by idkhow2diy »

I need to paint the wood facias and soffits, plus our remaining wood window frames. 15 years or so ago I painted all round and it has lasted well but is showing its age now - plus there is one bit I could never get to.

Back then I think I used Sandtex exterior gloss - that is, I found a tin of it in the garage and I remember I had a similar sized tin that was a one-coat paint. But reading posts here people mention Zinsser. And there are any number of others, cheap or otherwise and I only really want to do this once.

Not particularly fussed over gloss or satin but the existing gloss looks fine so will prolly go with the same finish.

I know this is a difficult ask but what do people recommend for the terminally lazy like myself that prefer a one-coat but want it to last forever?

There is one bit of masonry to do as well - a concrete beam over the front door that supports a balcony. This is now well stained, not sure by what. The Zinsser product suggests it is an all surface paint but I am not sure what gloss will look like there - maybe a matt finish would be better. Anyway, the wood is the most important.

Thanks
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

There is no exterior paint that will give longevity without proper preparation and a number of coats to ensure correct adhesion. The best idea for you is to get the windows and exterior wood replaced with UPVC as this will give a largely maintenance-free exterior.

DWD
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

dewaltdisney wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:30 am The best idea for you is to get the windows and exterior wood replaced with UPVC as this will give a largely maintenance-free exterior.
Reluctantly, I no long do exteriors. The drying times, even for water-based exterior paints, are just too long now. Customers need to close their windows and doors before going to bed and this always causes problems. Not to mention customers wanting their exterior woodwork painting when it is too late because the rot has already set in and then they wonder why it fails after a couple of years.

One customer recently asked my why the paint on her front door was scratched and marked just 6 months after I painted it. I pointed out that her husband ramming the door with her wheelchair several times a day was the cause and she said "It says guaranteed for 6 years on the tin!" I politely suggested a replacement door was in order.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”