Painted white wooden floor disaster.

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Janku
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Janku »

The professional decorator has left and I’m now trying to rectify the damage. Can anyone advise me please of the best method of clearing out the paint from between the floorboards? The decorator primed the floor with Zinsser BIN and I believe that two coats of V33 floor and stair paint were added. Many thanks.
4841C1C0-774F-4DB2-A8E6-3078720B1F33.jpeg
4841C1C0-774F-4DB2-A8E6-3078720B1F33.jpeg (203.2 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

If I'm reading this right you want only the top surface painted and the edges unpainted?
I'd use something like a tenon saw to rub the joints , they look to be open enough and finish off with a piece of folded sandpaper.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Janku (Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:32 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Is it not normal to caulk the gaps before paint? You run a shaped bit of wood along the gaps to drop the caulk level slightly before the caulk sets. The whole is painted then giving a complete finish with sealed grooves

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Janku (Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:32 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Janku
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Janku »

Thank you both very much indeed for your helpful suggestions. I think both would work, as my objective is to get a more uniform appearance. It’s going to be a bit of a marathon, though, as it’s pretty much the whole house that needs doing. Regarding the caulking, is there a particular type of caulk that you would recommend?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

There are a lot to choose from, it has to be paintable and flexible. Decorators caulk might work but I am not sure of the gaps and greater movement in flooring. Have a look at the various caulks available.

DWD
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I thought about suggesting caulk . It would be a lot less work and make cleaning easier and if the gaps are uneven probably look better too.
Other options that I have done in the past ( under instruction I will add) is to lift the floor and relay tighter or to cut slithers and glue in the gaps. Neither I'd really want to do again if I could avoid it.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”