Moderator: Moderators

Bob3435
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strip or sand old wood trim

Post by Bob3435 »

Hi guys

I need to freshen up old painted trim and was wondering what is the best way to go, should I use a paint stripper to strip the wood first then sand and re paint or can I skip stripping the old paint and just sand and paint? I want a very nice finish?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It depends on the existing finish, if it is sound then wet and dry to flatten off and degrease and then go over with water based undercoat and top coat. I like Johnstone's Aqua system. If it is flakey it might leave a map like finish so this needs a thin cost of filler to bring up the surfaces level before painting.

DWD
Bob3435
Newly registered Member

Post by Bob3435 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm It depends on the existing finish, if it is sound then wet and dry to flatten off and degrease and then go over with water based undercoat and top coat. I like Johnstone's Aqua system. If it is flakey it might leave a map like finish so this needs a thin cost of filler to bring up the surfaces level before painting.

DWD
So the paint is flackey, also have a lot of gaps which need filling etc, what fillers would you recommend for flakey paint and to fill gaps, chips etc?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

If it is flakey remove all loose stuff and smooth the firm edges. I use a decorators caulk to fill the bigger gaps as it takes paint well. Any filler will work for the flaked voids but wait until it begins to go off and wipe it smooth with a damp cloth to get it level as this cuts down a lot of the sanding smooth later.

DWD
Bob3435
Newly registered Member

Post by Bob3435 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:11 am If it is flakey remove all loose stuff and smooth the firm edges. I use a decorators caulk to fill the bigger gaps as it takes paint well. Any filler will work for the flaked voids but wait until it begins to go off and wipe it smooth with a damp cloth to get it level as this cuts down a lot of the sanding smooth later.

DWD
Thanks, much appreciated

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”