All games can be posted in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoovie
Borders Bodger
Has thanked: 0

To All The People Who Were Born In The 1920's, 30's 40's, 50

Post by Hoovie »

To All The People Who Were Born In The 1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, and 60's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy fruit tingles and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks > with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

We built tree houses and play houses and played in the river.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no DVD / video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather straps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of, They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade'

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS :thumbright:
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
Tryanything

Post by Tryanything »

That all brings back memories :cb :lol:
There would be less trouble in the world
if l had not had six daughters
EJJ150847

Post by EJJ150847 »

Yes memories :cb :cb

And taking the Leclance cell to the garage to get charged for the wireless, and that was before I was of school age!

Sugar rationing
Potato Cake

Seeing my first banana, and trying to eat with the skin on!
Apparently according to my Mum that was the reason I wanted to join the RN from age 5, as they had bananas :lol:

John
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not!
DougJones

Post by DougJones »

And don't forget how we used to respect the local Bobby!
Like you John - sitting down during the winter evenings and listening to the wireless, like d*ck Barton, The Goon show, Journey into space etc.
All these things worked your imagination, and made you think for yourself, like Hoovie says. :thumbright:
Retirement is an Illusion
EJJ150847

Post by EJJ150847 »

I loved the Goon Show and 'Educating Archie'.

Was allowed to stay up late to listen to Eamon Andrews commentate when the Don Cockell took on Rocky Marciano in 1955.

John
Last edited by EJJ150847 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not!
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

If you guys want to relive this at all, all these old radio shows are still available to listen to via the Internet (do a search for OTR or "Old Time Radio")

Mostly US shows admittedly, but there are great shows from the 1940's and 1950's that make a good change from todays stuff.

I download them and listen to them in the car as a change from the radio.
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
Telmay

Post by Telmay »

Late sixties for me, remember most of that too
"Where would we be without rules?
France! And where would we be with too many rules? Germany!"
Mooncat

Post by Mooncat »

Round The Horne, Life With The Lyons, Cool For Cats on tv, Saturday Club and many more.
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Alice

Re: To All The People Who Were Born In The 1920's, 30's 40's

Post by Alice »

I used to love watching my dad lighting the fire,
shoveling the ashes in the bin
twisting news paper ,some fire sticks and the white block firelighters then the coal
in no time the fire would be roaring, then the dross on top, the blower on to heat the water
the cleak,the poker, sound of the crackling, sitting watching the coal fire was just,soooooo
very comforting, and exciting knowing Santa Claws, would come down the lumb-or chimmney, oh im feeling sad i want ma mammy, :cb

Return to “The games corner”