How to adjust UPVC door hinges?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Stealthwolf
Newly registered Member

Post by Stealthwolf »

The front porch UPVC door has dropped slightly and the top bit of the door is catching on the locking mechanism. Clearly it needs to be adjusted but rather than calling someone out, I'd like to attempt it myself:

Pic of one of the hinges:

How do I do this?
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

The type of hinge you have is a flag hinge, if you search for how to adjust a flag door hinge ( there are quite a few videos to choose from ) they are better than someone explaining what to do.
Sometimes all that is needed is a quarter turn at a time so don’t get too carried away.

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
Stealthwolf (Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Stealthwolf
Newly registered Member

Post by Stealthwolf »

London mike 61 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm The type of hinge you have is a flag hinge, if you search for how to adjust a flag door hinge ( there are quite a few videos to choose from ) they are better than someone explaining what to do.
Sometimes all that is needed is a quarter turn at a time so don’t get too carried away.
Thanks. It's about 1-2mm clearance that's needed at most. The videos I've seen show an allen or hex bolt but there's nothing on mine. Is it likely to be under a cap? I don't want to damage the hinge in an attempt to open a cover that's non-existent.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

To show you the various types of flag hinge and how to adjust them, type flag hinge adjustment into google and click on the image tag, that will give you a good selection of the types and how to get to the screws that adjust the door.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Post by Gadget »

The 'flag' part of hinge should flip open, inside you'll see the adjustment screws for lateral and vertical adjustment. The hinges on one of my doors are exactly the same as the one in your pic.
Edit, to flip the hinge open poke a small screw driver under the end of the 'flag'
By eck! ©
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Loosen the 2 screws you can see on each hinge a pull the metal cover towards you and this will give you access to the outwards and inwards adjustment. To raise or lower the door it’s the Allen bolt on the vertical part of the hinge you can see from underneath.
You’ll have about +-5mm on all adjustment. It’s worth spraying the rubbers with some silicone spray as well as all the moving parts of the locking system as well.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.

Return to “General DIY forum”