Making Ply - then and now

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Making Ply - then and now

Post by dewaltdisney »

I came across this by chance and enjoyed watching. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF5LVBW1vl8 I like the machine that patches the knots out.

Not changed that much just less labour.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 4):
GadgetdarrenbaJob and KnockDave54
Rating: 28.57%
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Making Ply - then and now

Post by Job and Knock »

There used to be one firm in the UK who were quite well known for manufacturing rotary veneer lathes - Pickles of Hebden Bridge. When they ceased trading around 1970 they were the last firm to have offered such machinery - none of the post WWII major manufacturers (e.g. White's of Paisley, Sagar, Robinson, Wadkin, Wilson Brothers, etc) having ever offered such machinery AFAIK. Somewhere or other I still have a Pickles catalogue
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

wonder how many times the fella at the start had fallen in the water when he was on the logs haha
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Job and Knock wrote:There used to be one firm in the UK who were quite well known for manufacturing rotary veneer lathes - Pickles of Hebden Bridge. When they ceased trading around 1970 they were the last firm to have offered such machinery - none of the post WWII major manufacturers (e.g. White's of Paisley, Sagar, Robinson, Wadkin, Wilson Brothers, etc) having ever offered such machinery AFAIK. Somewhere or other I still have a Pickles catalogue
But then of course we actually made stuff here.
And the tools and machinery to make it.
The only time I've actually seen any Pickles machinery, was at a closing down sale nearly 30 years ago.
There was a huge 36" Pickles planer there. I quite fancied it, but TBH it looked pretty scary!

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”