External pipe insulation

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

b9jobber
Newly registered Member

External pipe insulation

Post by b9jobber »

I have got to run a hot and cold water feed down the outside wall of my house - there is no way they can be run internally. I shall be using 15mm JG Speedfit pipe.

My question is what pipe insulation would you recommend that's waterproof and possibly brick coloured or could be painted to blend in with the brickwork. The pipe runs are 4m length each with 4 x 90 degree elbow joints. Also, how would I fix the insulated pipework to the wall, and how to insulate the elbow joints.

That's three questions..... sorry
Someone-Else

Re: External pipe insulation

Post by Someone-Else »

I insulated my condensate pipe, after a year it looked ***t the insulation "crumbled" the zip clips securing it couldn't hold it as it crumbled under them, so it fell off in places, if you really can't run the pipes inside, then take the inside outside and box them in.

In the end I zip clipped a heater cable to it and leave it plugged in 24/7 (my one has a stat on the cable itself)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
b9jobber
Newly registered Member

Post by b9jobber »

Many thanks someone-else - I've been toying with that idea. If I box them in, I could always use something like climaflex to insulate them.

I am of course open to other suggestions.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Pretty ununsual situation if you state it's 'impossible' to run he pipes indoors. What is the reason for this?
Don't take it personally......
b9jobber
Newly registered Member

Post by b9jobber »

kellys_eye wrote:Pretty ununsual situation if you state it's 'impossible' to run he pipes indoors. What is the reason for this?
I'm taking a "spur" from upstairs (bathroom) to a conservatory below I'm about to build to install hand basin with hot and cold feed. The roof line is some 2m below where the existing pipes I'll be running them from are located. I don't want to pull floor boards up, chase out plaster etc to run pipes to new location.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

But it would be better if you did.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Plumbing Forum”