Acrylic Sheet fronts for cupboard doors

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

annjames
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Acrylic Sheet fronts for cupboard doors

Post by annjames »

hi any one use Acrylic Sheet to put over my old kitchen unit doors for my caravan
i found a place that cuts to size www.*****.co.uk/coloured-a ... ylic.html/ just wondering if anygood or not thanks for any help
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Re: Acrylic Sheet for cupboard doors

Post by moderator2 »

:welcomeuhm: The site you are referring to are on our banned list for spamming the forum. Personally I would choose a company that doesn't resort to such underhand tactics.
These users thanked the author moderator2 for the post:
moderator7
Rating: 7.14%
annjames
Newly registered Member

Re: Acrylic Sheet for cupboard doors

Post by annjames »

moderator2 wrote::welcomeuhm: The site you are referring to are on our banned list for spamming the forum. Personally I would choose a company that doesn't resort to such underhand tactics.
hi thanks didnt know there were banned just looking to find out if acrylic sheeting was any good for cupboard doors for my caravan if so could some one point me in the right place thanks again for any help
wine~o

Re: Acrylic Sheet fronts for cupboard doors

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

I used http://www.plasticsheets.com/black-perspex-sheet/ when I needed some acrylic sheet for my Tardis. I was pleasantly surprised by the price, not much more than the single sheet I bought and tried to cut myself :error: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Delivery was about 5 days IIRC.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
annjames
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

wine~o wrote::welcomeuhm:

I used http://www.plasticsheets.com/black-perspex-sheet/ when I needed some acrylic sheet for my Tardis. I was pleasantly surprised by the price, not much more than the single sheet I bought and tried to cut myself :error: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

thanks nobody seems to have tried them on kitchen units i try a sample size and see how it looks ill try plastic sheets .com thanks wine~o
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

annjames wrote:

thanks nobody seems to have tried them on kitchen units i try a sample size and see how it looks ill try plastic sheets .com thanks wine~o

:dunno: Never owned a caravan so can't say whether the perspex sheet is suitable or not.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

wine~o wrote:
annjames wrote:

:dunno: Never owned a caravan so can't say whether the perspex sheet is suitable or not.
doesn't have to be for a caravan any kitchen will do
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Are you looking at bonding acrylic sheet to the existing doors? If so then you need to bond inside and out as the back will need a balancer sheet fixed to equalise the potential curvature to the door by fixing one side only.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
annjames
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

dewaltdisney wrote:Are you looking at bonding acrylic sheet to the existing doors? If so then you need to bond inside and out as the back will need a balancer sheet fixed to equalise the potential curvature to the door by fixing one side only.

DWD
yes thats right but im not sure what a balancer sheet is thanks dewaltdisney
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

annjames wrote:
dewaltdisney wrote:Are you looking at bonding acrylic sheet to the existing doors? If so then you need to bond inside and out as the back will need a balancer sheet fixed to equalise the potential curvature to the door by fixing one side only.

DWD
If you glue something to one side of a timber based product, you need to glue something to the other side otherwise it will bend, (unless the substrate to the glued product is securely fixed to something all over), which a door won't be.

If you look at the underside of a kitchen worktop you won't see the chipboard that it's made from, you'll see the balancing sheet glued to the chipboard.
One day it will all be firewood.
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

ayjay wrote:
annjames wrote:

DWD
If you glue something to one side of a timber based product, you need to glue something to the other side otherwise it will bend, (unless the substrate to the glued product is securely fixed to something all over), which a door won't be.

If you look at the underside of a kitchen worktop you won't see the chipboard that it's made from, you'll see the balancing sheet glued to the chipboard.
thanks ayjay do you where do i buy balancing sheets and what do i ask for thanks for the help
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Something of the same thickness and substance as you use on the front. As it is not showing you can use a cheaper acrylic. In times gone by I laminated some coloured Formica on to some kitchen doors and used a cheap white formica as a balancer. The doors never bowed but it was a lot of poncing around. The only benefit was getting high on the thixotrophic glue I used.

I cannot help thinking that this is going to get prohibitively expensive for some caravan kitchen doors. It might be a cheaper option to get some made to measure. Here is an example, not a recommendation https://www.larkandlarks.co.uk/kitchens ... tchen-door You could get some black gloss doors made like here

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
annjames
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

thanks for all your help
annjames
Newly registered Member

Post by annjames »

just got double sided tape they stuck on no problem job done
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

If the door is sound I would use a decent architectural grade vinyl like 3m Di-noc to cover it, I wouldn't like to say if acrylic aka Perspex wont fade over as its not UV resistant - the added weight to the door may be another issue it also goes brittle with swings in temperature

Lexan aka polycarbonate may be a better option

As its going to be in a confined area you will have to round the edges and flame/polish the edges
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
annjames

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”