My first router table

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

My first router table

Post by Rorschach »

Built my first little router table, just something basic to make using my new Katsu router a bit safer and more convenient with dust extraction. Made entirely from scraps I just wanted something small and easy to store that could be setup in a workmate. MFC for the table top and some framing lumber for the fence which I trued up with a jack plane so it is straight and square to the table. Could do with putting some melamine or something on the face so it slides a bit easier, I may re-visit the fence in the future. Happy with the table top though. And happy with the single pivot principle of the fence.
Works a treat, nice and stable and feels very safe. Dust extraction is superb, nothing seemed to escape once the cutter was in the workpiece, the auto socket on my parkside vac makes it super simple to use and I don't have to reach under to switch the router on and off.
Attachments
IMG_20171103_130955.jpg
IMG_20171103_130955.jpg (173.49 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
IMG_20171103_131147.7 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20171103_131147.7 - Copy.jpg (219.77 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post (total 2):
Job and Knockmultiman
Rating: 14.29%
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: My first router table

Post by Job and Knock »

Nice one! :thumbright:

Thanks for sharing

It's the sort of thing I've made up on job sites a few times over the years (albeit a bit neater in the execution!), the main differences being that my fence would generally either be a straight rip of 18 to 25mm ply or a bit of 3 x 2 PSE softwood and that mine sit on top of two trestles or sometimes a box. BTW a quick rub with the nub of a wax candle on the bed and face of the fence can work wonders in terms of "slideability". Works on the soles of hand planes and bottoms of routers and power planers, too

How'r you finding the Katsu? I notice that they've recently added an offset base to the range of accessories but at under half the price of the OEM version. The Katsu bases fit the RT0700 as well. Bit of a niche market item but nevertheless good to see they've done it.
Katsu offset base 001-01.jpg
Katsu offset base 001-01.jpg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
The plastic sub-base on that offset base together with a handle makes a good extended base for extra stability, something AIM Tools must know as they offer a complete unit now
Katsu fixed base with extended sub base 001-01.jpg
Katsu fixed base with extended sub base 001-01.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

This is far from neat as it is only made from scraps I had laying around but the important things are there, the router is square to the table and the fence is also square to the table and locks securely in place.
I am really quite pleased with the Katsu, sure it has a few rough areas here and there but the motor is quiet and very smooth, everything works as it should and it seems to have enough power as long as you are conservative with your cuts. Dust extraction using the trimmer base is superb, even better when using it on my little table. For the price I think it's a stonking bargain.

I did see those offset bases, not something I think I will use but good to have such an accessory available.

I think the first thing I will use this table and router to build is a base that will slide along my track saw tracks as I reckon that would be really good for doing dados.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

If it's any hep Makita already do a guide rail adapter which fits and might be the right thing for housings providing your cutter matches the timber thickness:
Makita guide rail adapter for RT0700 001-01.jpg
Makita guide rail adapter for RT0700 001-01.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
One of the good features of the RT0700/Katsu is that the fence rod diameter (8mm), spacings, etc are identical to those on the Makita RP1110C, deWalt DW615/621/622, Elu MOF96/OF97, Trend T5, etc. so there are many options open to you for expansion in that direction
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

That's good to know. I was thinking of just making my own since I am pretty sure I have rods of the right size and I I would just make my own little guide block from wood. Something to research anyway.
From what you say about accessories I think getting the Katsu and selling the Bosch was a good plan.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Looked through my collection and I found I have a couple of feet of 5/16th Chromed rod which will do very nicely for making up a guide rail adaptor I think.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I made my first router table around my Blacker and Decker drill stand as my first B&D router (1979) was more like a drill fitting. Mounted overhead I used a variety of guide pins and fences to do what I wanted. Necessity is the mother of invention and looking back I managed quite a lot. My purpose made router table has been great though and I have done loads of different routing work.

I am sure you will move forward to a shop bought table in due course but what you have made will do plenty of jobs to broaden your experience. :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
multiman
Rating: 7.14%
multiman
BANNED

Post by multiman »

Nice work

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I finally did get around to making that track adaptor for the router, have started a separate thread for it.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

nice job well done
missed this thread the first time round :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “General DIY forum”