Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

kianDonoghue89
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Problem - Matt Emulsion on Radiator

Post by kianDonoghue89 »

Hello everyone,

Recently moved in to a new flat and the radiator in the kitchen has been painted with what I believe to be Matt Emulsion, it's a complete mess and I have no idea how to fix it to make it look normal. I know it will need to be glossed but is there any thing else I need to do?

Please see the pictures attached.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

sajeel
BANNED

Re: Problem - Matt Emulsion on Radiator

Post by sajeel »

You will need to sandpaper or use paint stripper you could also use heat gun to burn off paint, then clean and use enamel radiator paint it's not easy to use and drops a lot so you have literally watch it dry for a nice finish

sent using tapatalk
kianDonoghue89
Newly registered Member

Post by kianDonoghue89 »

sajeel wrote:You will need to sandpaper or use paint stripper you could also use heat gun to burn off paint, then clean and use enamel radiator paint it's not easy to use and drops a lot so you have literally watch it dry for a nice finish

sent using tapatalk
Thank you for the reply, I think I will use a heat gun, god knows how many layers are going to come off.
These users thanked the author kianDonoghue89 for the post:
sajeel
Rating: 7.14%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:
If it is emulsion it may come off with loads of water and a bit of rubbing ... with scotchbrite type stuff perhaps. You don't want to take off the original paint. With a heat gun (try it by all means) you will have a job removing paint from the grooves and I am not too sure heat works on emulsion the same way it woks on oil based paints.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
sajeel
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

OchAye wrote::welcomeuhm:
If it is emulsion it may come off with loads of water and a bit of rubbing ... with scotchbrite type stuff perhaps. You don't want to take off the original paint. With a heat gun (try it by all means) you will have a job removing paint from the grooves and I am not too sure heat works on emulsion the same way it woks on oil based paints.
Heat gun is not the way to go as och-aye say's..

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-pr ... 7QodNXQClQ

(other retailers available) are useful.

Then either a dedicated radiator enamel or gloss. (bear in mind that oil-based gloss will yellow over time)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
kianDonoghue89
Newly registered Member

Post by kianDonoghue89 »

wine~o wrote:
Heat gun is not the way to go as och-aye say's..

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-pr ... QClQ</span>

(other retailers available) are useful.

Then either a dedicated radiator enamel or gloss. (bear in mind that oil-based gloss will yellow over time)
Thank you both for the reply, I will give it a go and see if it will come off with some water, I have no idea why someone would paint it with emulsion.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

I recently had the same problem (friend's new office and I volunteered). Three radiators, one yellowed (it had been painted but with oil paint) two certainly had emulsion, perhaps more than one coat and the same soft sheen dulux trade emulsion had been used on doors.

The emulsion came off the doors whilst trying to smoothen it with wet and dry paper. Once it got some rubbing and a lot of soaking it just came off the door. One of the emulsioned radiators (on the 3rd or so coat of paint) decided to bubble up ... most of it peeled off but enough bits stayed to make it a b@st@rd to strip clean by sanding.

IF you can abrade the paint whilst you are keeping it dripping wet you have a good chance of the paint coming off relatively easily.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You can try this to see if it works as I have used it on light fittings and the like that were splodged with emulsion. Paint a small test area with fresh emulsion leave it for 20 minutes and then give it a scrape. The solvent in the new emulsion helps to soften the old stuff and it will reactivate it. I do not know if it will work on a baked on emulsion painted on a radiator but worth a shot.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
sajeel
p4ult

Post by p4ult »

If your handy with the spanners, depending on the size new rads aren't that expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author p4ult for the post:
sajeel
kianDonoghue89
Newly registered Member

Post by kianDonoghue89 »

I managed to get it off with some hot water with a bit of flash in it, luckily it was only one coat!

Arm is really killing me now though!

:cheers:
These users thanked the author kianDonoghue89 for the post (total 2):
sajeeldewaltdisney
Rating: 14.29%
sajeel
BANNED

Post by sajeel »

Some scrub and rub with elbow grease

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”