Home made saw-bench.

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

Retired

Re: Home made saw-bench.

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks AAA; I used to be involved with cash flow every month when the CEO used to visit me asking me to please get rid of as many motors as possible so that they could be invoiced; I would look at motors which were on "Black list"; " Precise dates" and I would raid the JIT cells after hours because my team in Home Trade Despatch used to work link shift so we could mop up motors after normal hours; with absolutely everything invoiced I could put my hands on; the CEO then would visit again to thank me; we had two top bosses who were respected and trusted; then the takeovers started and these two left; from then on we had takeover after takeover; I would ask on a Monday morning what the company would be called this week? I was always very local to the company pulling more than my weight but one meeting turned me hostile. Every year the union was in negotiating the pay rise and every year there was a strike. This particular year everything had been agreed but the company wouldn't pay the back pay due to everyone which really did start to cause lots of problems especially at shop floor level; this dragged on for months then one day all staff were summoned to a meeting where one of the top idiots would address us; this particular idiot was a full blown idiot; he stood in front of us and openly told us to get down there and sort the shop floor out because he wasn't bothered about paying and if the shop floor kicked up he was quite happy to potter around in his Morgan sports car without a care in the world. Shortly after this two of our trusted top guys went over this idiots head whilst the idiot was away on holiday no doubt along with his Morgan sports car and the back pay was awarded immediately. As soon as the idiot returned both our trusted guys were sacked. I lost all faith in Brooks after that and took voluntary redundancy together with my works pension; Bron and I paid the mortgage off and found that although money was tight I could actually fully retire aged 53; having now reached state pension age and with my works pension we are better off now than when I was working both financially and totally stress free. How do bone heads like this idiot ever get into such high positions; he must have been brilliant at sucking up?

I've enjoyed a brilliant day today; Rufforth this morning with me getting out of bed at 5:30; after dinner I spent quite a while washing and drying the Yeti which looked as though it had been off-roading then I leathered the Yeti dry; our neighbours cat Ruby came to keep me company as I washed the Yeti. I finished off with a nice hour in the garage playing around with the new motor; it's taking ages because I've been remodelling the garage into a full time workshop so I'm having to find things but I'm pottering around so I'm happy and I'm not under any pressure. I've now got a length of heavy rubber insulated cable connected into the motor this is 2.5mm so well on top of the job; this is the largest motor I've ever wired up at home so what cable size do I need for 18A? no problem at all these days just browse the web and here are the sizes;

http://www.cable-ratings.co.uk/

Next session I can connect the motor to the starter then connect the supply cable to the starter but then I need to sort out how to connect to the supply but as I say I'm not under pressure; I'll get there taking my time and ensuring everything I do is safe.

Out of interest I've taken a few pictures of the kind of things I buy at Rufforth Auto Jumble and these are the items I bought this morning;

New 1/4" dia machine reamer with Morse taper; £1.50.

New 1/2" dia reamer with round shank (not seen one of these previously) still with protective coating. £2.

Large square. £3.

Large tension spring new £1.

3 new wooden file handles £1 each or 3 for £2.50.

3 13A metal clad twin sockets £3 each

Heavy threaded brass rod 24mm max dia but if used on the lathe will yield 20mm at 200mm long 2 for £5. (Raw material for projects)

Aluminium offcuts £1 each there were only six so I offered £4 for the lot which was accepted. (Raw material for projects). For our American friends this is Aloooooominum.

2 boxes of 100 each Fischer 6 x 60mm wood screws; £2.50 each box.

Bag of 12mm nuts. £2.

3 long assorted screwdriver bits £1 the three.

2 wire brushes £1 each.

Wheel washing brush £2.

12mm threaded rod long lengths £1.50 each.

When my chum David arrived I explained to David I had just bought the 600mm x 400mm square only paying £3 for it but when I got it back to the car I found it was marked up at £3.99 so as we wandered around I visited the stall again and offered the 99p. The stall holder thanked me but assured me the £3 was correct; apparently his son had attended another event where he was selling these squares for the £3.99; it would have bugged me not to return to the stall and offer the money.

When I set off to Rufforth this morning I didn't need anything in particular but its amazing the urgent things I need once I get there.

Please view my posts more of a story than an actual project; I will end up with a saw bench but I derive as much pleasure out of making things as I do in using them; I certainly have no use for such a powerful saw bench but I simply want one so I'll enjoy making it up as I go along; no dimensioned drawing to work from just experience only and being barking mad enough to give it a go.

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2515.JPG
DSCN2515.JPG (195.54 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
DSCN2513.JPG
DSCN2513.JPG (213.25 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
DSCN2512.JPG
DSCN2512.JPG (197.21 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

Col, you're a mind reader.
Following a misdiagnosis by a GP, I've had to undergo a series of surgical procedures on my right (leading) hand. Eventually leading to the surgical removal of
Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetrum and Pisiform (The Proximal row).
Being a scientist I demanded that I have a nerve block on each occasion, NOT a general, so that I could see and hear what was going on.
Most instructive.

However, I digress.
The construction of my engineering workshop and adjacent store room has therefore been substantially delayed and it is only recently that I've reached the stage where more than temporary/basic elec wiring might be installed and I have the capacity to use both hands.
Your reference http://www.cable-ratings.co.uk/
has arrived exactly at the right time :salute:

I add, somewhat whimsically, that my right hand has been most co-operative in 'teaching' my left-hand things which were previously unknown to it. Somewhat reminiscent of my mother guiding my hand when I signed my 1st Post Office Savings A/c pass-book.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

I'm pleased to have been of use AAA and I hope you are now on the mend doing some serious pottering around. :salute:

I managed to get into the workshop today with the intention of putting some power into the new motor but I was thwarted. The brand new starter is the usual 3 phase type but it's fitted with a 240V coil so will operate from single phase 240V. Pity though that the single sheet of instructions were gibberish to me; strange how nothing seems to make sense; the starter didn't have any identification to match the paperwork and the circuit diagrams were for 3 phase; oh hum what fun.

Rather than mess around I simply emailed the eBay seller of the starter politely requesting connection details to which I received a prompt reply. I've not yet connected up but I'm happy to add the connection details as received and I've added a rough drawing as seen below. I would advise extreme caution whilst wiring motors and starters etc; this motor is easy enough to connect but the starter is something else; I spent a bit of time browsing circuit diagrams on the web but I wasn't able to sort the connections out for this particular starter hence if in doubt always ask first; destroying a motor or starter is costly and can be highly dangerous; I'm not electrically trained so I would much rather spend a lot of time researching which always pays off ensuring what I do is correct whilst ensuring my personal safety and the safety of others.

I'm all ready now to connect the motor up for a test run which I plan to do tomorrow; I'll add the details once known but I wanted to add the circuit diagram before I forget. I hope my drawing is easy to understand. :thumbleft:

This is the sort of thing I was browsing and how confusing it can be;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=singl ... AroQsAQIGQ

Kind regards, Col.
Sawbench wiring diagram..JPG
Sawbench wiring diagram..JPG (45.69 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
Razor

Post by Razor »

Colin your work ethic puts most of us youngsters to shame!!

I will update the other thread when I get time but I managed to find a single phase, 4HP, 4 pole motor on ebay for 35 squids, secondhand of course!!

I had to open the pulley out from the old motor by nearly 200 thou to make it fit the shaft then I had to cut a new keyway.

I put the lathe in neutral and did it all by hand although I could only manage 8 thou at a time when boring the hole and a couple of thou when doing the keyway - made me wish you lived closer it would only have taken a couple of mins!!

This weekend I'm upgrading the electrics, I can confirm that 16Amp breakers really don't like 4 HP motors :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author Razor for the post:
Retired
Rating: 7.14%
I think I'll take two chickens...
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks Razor. I've said many times I was brought up when to eat meant to work so immediately I left school in 1962 after a medical I was straight into the pit and have been grafting ever since apart from the last month where illness has slowed me down but I'm raring to go once again in fact I've already had a session in the workshop this morning.

Well done Razor in bagging the motor at such a bargain price it was worth at least double if in good condition. A bit of bad news though; I thought my workshop supply was 16A but when I checked it I find it's actually 32A and at 32A my oil cooled welder trips the breaker as does my new 4hp motor which I've run for the first time this morning. The 32A is OK but I think it will be the "B" type breaker responding to the sudden power draw; I have however already bought two 32A "D" type breakers (mcb's) for when I install the new consumer unit so hopefully the "D" type breakers will sort the tripping problem; when I install the new consumer unit I'll split the workshop circuits; at the moment they are one circuit for power another circuit lighting with everything in the workshop connected even the boiler; my plan is to run a dedicated 32A circuit just for the welder and new saw bench protected by a "D" type breaker but then the general power circuit (ring) with a 32A "B" type breaker and the usual lighting circuit at 6A again with a "B" type breaker. I'm going to be busy once the weather turns milder.

Good luck Razor with your lathe; you're already getting the hang of using it even without power; yes it is very tedious turning by hand but now you know it can be done even if it does take a lot of time and is hard work; the finish on the work won't be brilliant but for a pulley it will suffice; well done and I'm hoping to hear you've got the lathe under power shortly; the 4hp motor will make light work of anything you intend to use the lathe for; my Colchester had a 5hp 3 phase main motor this being a two speed. The problem with big single phase motors is the massive starting amps and high running amps compared to a 3 phase motor; for a home workshop I think 4hp (3kw) will be about the largest motor that will be used; generally they are 3hp.

As usual I have to continually fight to make any progress with absolutely everything I do. Getting this new motor under power for the first time was fun. The new motor connections were clearly shown so it was very easy to connect the power lead. The starter however proved to be a pain; it being a 3 phase starter the 415V coil had been changed to 240V which is standard practice but it was supplied with the 3 phase circuit diagram so how do I connect it to the motor and to the supply. This is where a novice would have major problems; browsing the web as I did only confused the problem further because these starters can be connected a number of ways and with 32A from the mains supply being fed into it there could be serious consequences to get the connections wrong; I've connected many motors both single phase and three phase without problems but then I simply followed the correct circuit diagrams.

Having now received the correct connection details from the starter seller I wandered into the workshop this morning thinking it will be very easy to get the motor running but as usual my rotten luck accompanied me. I took my time to ensure all connections were correct and that the screws were nipped up; the starter cover was then installed and with power now on drat it nothing is happening; the lot appeared to be dead so all is normal. Surely after so much care and patience I hadn't messed up but nothing for it but to check and double check every thing. As expected all the connections were correct but the motor didn't even kick and the starter remained dead on the start button? Out with the DMM multi-meter and take some voltage readings WITH POWER SWITCHED ON SO NOT FOR NOVICES AS ITS DANGEROUS. Voltage as expected was showing on L1 & L3 so the new 32A socket and plug could be ruled out so it's now either the starter or the motor but at this point I knew the starter to be at fault because pressing the start button absolutely nothing happened. I isolated the starter from the supply and took a resistance reading across the on switch and it was fine; all the wiring and connections looked as they should be so once again NOT FOR NOVICES I connected the supply and using a heavily insulated screwdriver gently pushed the start switch and suddenly the motor jumped bursting into life; so the fault was in the start switch actuation? Power off and isolated again I had a look at the push buttons in the starter lid; both the actuating levers were distorted the start lever can be seen in the picture below; the top right bend should be a right angle; clearly it isn't; I removed the screw then using a pair of pliers bent the lever to 90 degrees; the stop lever was distorted in another place so I nipped this in the big engineering vice to re-align it; care was taken not to let the spring of each disappear into the black hole under the bench; upon reassembly the motor now runs as it should but as I say I simply cannot shake off all these silly little problems that beset me; a novice wouldn't have a clue in this case but I've been around a while so won through in the end. I tripped the breaker a couple of times because it doesn't like a big 4hp motor hanging onto it with a "B" type breaker installed but this will be changed to a "D" type breaker to prevent tripping.

The new 32A socket is safely attached to the wall but at the moment fed by 2.5mm cable which for this motor is plenty big enough but once I install the new consumer unit I'll run a new cable suitable for at least 32A rating because a single 2.5mm cable is unsuitable for 32A.

As I say every little thing winds the big key up in my back the push buttons taking the Mickey and now the "T" box lid rubber gasket which as it was would be useless because no way would this gasket seal the lid; oh hum out with the contact adhesive and glue the gasket to the lid.

To any novice I would say please do not take any risks at all; as an example I've included another circuit diagram showing a single phase starter circuit diagram and the connections are quite different to the connections of the starter I've just wired up. Motors and starters can be replaced but life cannot. Here are the connection details from the starter seller and which work on this particular starter.

Hi,
Live to L1, neutral to L3 then take a link from L2 to T1
Live to motor to T2 and neutral to T3

I'm pleased the motor is now running; better doing this on the bench where these silly little problems can be resolved than after it is installed into the saw bench. In a way its good that these little problems keep cropping up then I can explain how I resolve them.

I can now concentrate on making the actual saw bench which I'm looking forward to but this afternoon it being nice and sunny (so far) I think a trip out with Bron is in order.

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2523.JPG
DSCN2523.JPG (188.56 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
DSCN2524.JPG
DSCN2524.JPG (191.33 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
DSCN2522.JPG
DSCN2522.JPG (215.43 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
DSCN2527.JPG
DSCN2527.JPG (177.76 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
DSCN2526.JPG
DSCN2526.JPG (205.15 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
DSCN2525.JPG
DSCN2525.JPG (166.3 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
240V starter.JPG
240V starter.JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

What fun I do have. Yesterday afternoon I took Bron over to Gordon Riggs Garden Centre in Todmorden; whilst there I spotted a box of new 100mm dia castors and as these looked perfect for the new saw bench I bought a pair costing only £6 the pair; whilst at Rufforth last Saturday I was at a stall and picked up two very rough looking plastic wheels; the inner bearings were in place but no spindles; at £5 each I walked away so I was pleased to buy these castors from Riggs. :huray:

At last; today I could have a full day in the workshop; at 9.15 this morning I popped to the toilet; strange how just a bit of toilet tissue can wind the big key up in my back; after six flushes it finally disappeared by which time I thought I would need a drink and sandwiches because I had now dug in determined not to be beaten by this bit of tissue. I then wandered down to the workshop but before starting on the saw bench remembered the warning on the Yeti dash requesting Adblue topping up; might as well do this because I had previously bought 5L of Adblue in readiness; the Yeti had done well having now covered 4,600 miles and this was the first Adblue top up so shouldn't take long? The Adblue filler is in the Yeti's boot and I couldn't work out how to physically handle the 5L Adblue heavy container without giving the boot floor a wash; I had a clean empty plastic washing up bottle so cut the bottom off intending to use this as a funnel; drat it the filler opening was too far beneath the boot floor for the new funnel to reach. By now I had removed the heavy spare wheel and plastic compartments to gain better access; nothing for it but to search for my proper plastic funnel and plastic jug; as I was sorting the Yeti out another unwelcome visitor was just above my head at our front door stuffing more rubbish through the letterbox this time offering a free month being 13 months for the price of 12 months at the local "Totalfitness"; this of course a limited one time offer; did I dash to join up? By 10.15 I was finally ready to make a start but what the heck why not now make a brew?
At last I was in the workshop with the doors closed hiding me from the world; I set about cutting the new angle iron for the saw bench framework using my big angle grinder in the home made hinged stand; I added a stop to ensure the lengths were the same which is important. After dinner I was broken off so my full day in the workshop was rapidly becoming a dream; I've just managed another hour cutting the notches out for the angle iron joints in readiness for welding; I've also cut four 50mm square x 4mm thick pieces of steel these will be the feet. In the end my full day turned out to be about 4 hours but progress is being made; I still wonder what retirement should be like because I've now been fully retired for the last 16 years and cannot find the time to potter around; I'm more determined than ever to end up with a working saw bench; I've called it a day because I know if I try to do more work something else will drag me away; nothing but distractions which seem endless; tomorrow is another day; will I manage to do any welding? First job planned for tomorrow is to replace the 16A plug on the welder with the new 32A plug I've now bought; now I've filled the Yeti with Adblue the dash warning sign now says 4,000 miles range and I've got to find out how to clear this message because it's annoying me; lots and lots of little problems are generally what my days are made up of. The pictures below show the fun I can have if left in peace. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2528.JPG
DSCN2528.JPG (198.89 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
DSCN2529.JPG
DSCN2529.JPG (191.54 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
DSCN2530.JPG
DSCN2530.JPG (209.95 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
DSCN2531.JPG
DSCN2531.JPG (213.57 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
DSCN2532.JPG
DSCN2532.JPG (174.29 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
DSCN2533.JPG
DSCN2533.JPG (165.36 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

did I dash to join up?
Don't keep us all in suspense Col... We all know how you Yorkshiremen like a bargain... :lol:
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Retired
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks wine~o; yes I dashed over to take advantage of the incredible fitness special offer asking if both Bron and I could join? :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

I've just browsed the web regarding topping up the Yeti Adblue; of course I knew I had to switch on the ignition and leave it switched on for over 30 seconds before driving off after topping up the Adblue; I've been out in the Yeti since topping it up so I've just switched the ignition on leaving it on for two minutes but as usual I've now generated another problem because the dash sign won't disappear. When I top up oil; water; fuel etc I don't need to switch the ignition on for 30 seconds; I just love electronics let me get back to steam. ::b

If I can't clear the message the Yeti is due its first service in June so the dealer can sort it out; I just want some peace to potter around.

Kind regards, Col.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

No moaning at all so far today; last night when I went to bed I thought its time I started to enjoy my retirement a bit after 55 years hard graft so today is now Col's day and going very well indeed. I was out of bed by 7 o'clock this morning and into the workshop for 8 o'clock. First job was to swap the welder 16A plug for the new 32A plug otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the welder because I've already swapped the 16A socket adding a new 32A socket in readiness for the new saw bench. With the welder ready for action I spent a while ensuring squareness and tack welded the first angle iron frame; after another check I then fully welded the frame. This was repeated for the second frame. Accuracy is important so please note the big square which I used to align the frames.

With both frames now fully welded I assembled the full frame inverted on the bench working at a comfortable height; I clamped everything tightly and for the lower frame used a wood gauge to ensure it was aligned perfectly before tacking it all together with weld; all was well so I fully welded.

Space was tight as I worked around the frame welding and this affected a few of these welds which aren't very pretty but are certainly strong enough; if I wanted to be fussy I can always fettle the poor welds with the angle grinder but I thought I would show the poor welds because I too am not perfect. I double welded the joints welding both back and front for added strength; poor welding would be highly dangerous on this saw bench. I used Screwfix 6013 2.4mm electrodes leaving the welder on 100A but I could have turned it down a bit; I don't fuss too much as long as the welding is strong.

A lot of care is needed to ensure everything is square because if such a frame is found to be out of square after welding its time to cry. Once the frame was fully welded I then welded the feet into place; I don't want sharp angle iron digging into the concrete floor; I'll add a pair of wheels which will allow the saw bench to be moved around. The frame top measures 26" x 24" and finished it will stand 31.5" tall. (660 x 610 x 770 mm). The height matches the height of the bench but no particular reason for the other sizes apart from it being as big as I want to go in the limited space.

For over twenty years I used a 140A SIP Weldmate for all my welding but I've always yearned for a nice industrial oil cooled Oxford welder; a few months ago I finally achieved my dream and bought a lovely Pickhill Bantam (Oxford) 180A oil cooled welder; I was taught welding on big 3 phase Oxford's in the pit. The SIP was actually a very good welder and served me well; I used to nurse it along switching it off after each weld to lengthen its duty cycle but for larger welding jobs it would occasionally cut out then I would have to wait 30 minutes for it to cool down before commencing welding; this wasn't a major problem because whilst it was cooling I could busy myself on other work. These Oxford welders however will run continuously without fear of them cutting out; this morning I powered the welder up and left it under power whilst I was aligning everything; normally I would have been switching the SIP on and off. I can't fault this Bantam at all; it does a superb job only limited by me; it strikes much easier than the SIP but it is incredibly heavy hence I made a wheeled stand for it. I gave the SIP to a friend who will make good use of it. For a novice looking to buy the first welder please look at the "Duty cycle" the shorter the duty cycle the shorter the welding period before the welder cuts out.

More confetti has just landed on the carpet; it never lets up here and it's only about ten minutes ago the postman dropped a lot more through. GRRRRRR.

I've done a bit of fettling using the angle grinder to remove sharp edges but the saw bench base is now looking good and time I started work on the actual saw unit but I'm delighted with the progress this morning; space is rather limited in the workshop but once the new saw bench is operational I think I'll sell the Shopsmith which is a pity but I won't have further use for it. I've been welding with the workshop door wide open to let the welding fumes escape and for once no one has interrupted me; what joy and I'm happy. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2534.JPG
DSCN2534.JPG (200.89 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2535.JPG
DSCN2535.JPG (211.94 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2536.JPG
DSCN2536.JPG (195.18 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2537.JPG
DSCN2537.JPG (184.76 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2538.JPG
DSCN2538.JPG (194.51 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2539.JPG
DSCN2539.JPG (158.97 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2541.JPG
DSCN2541.JPG (213.4 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
DSCN2542.JPG
DSCN2542.JPG (187.59 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

Retired wrote: ... another unwelcome visitor was just above my head at our front door stuffing more rubbish through the letterbox this time offering a free month being 13 months for the price of 12 months at the local "Totalfitness"; this of course a limited one time offer; did I dash to join up? By 10.15 I was finally ready to make a start but what the heck why not now make a brew?
About a year ago I was called in to my GPs' practice to have a routine checkup.
A kind and enthusiastic person ran thru' a list about diet, alcohol, smoking, etc - top marks there.
Then came the questions about exercise
Q How many times a week did I go to a 'Gym'?
A None
Q Ditto home exercise bike
A None
Q Ditto walking machine
A None
Q Ditto rowing machine
A None

Q But, Mr Patient, your
BP is fine,
blood O2 tops
pulse spot on
Body mass index - on the mark - how do you do that?

A You and I and lots of others know the answer to that one, Colin.
Mens sana in corpore sano = A sound mind in a sound body".

‘You are old, Father William’ (1865)
Lewis Carroll

“You are old, Father William,” the young man said,
“And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head –
Do you think, at your age, it is right?”

“In my youth,” Father William replied to his son,
“I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I’m perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again.”

“In my youth,” said his father, “I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life.

“I have answered three questions, and that is enough,”
Said his father; “don’t give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I’ll kick you downstairs!”

http://www.poetrybyheart.org.uk/poems/y ... r-william/
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks AAA. I'm too tight to even consider visiting a gym and I'm not into any sport whatsoever unless its chasing a dropped item from the bench which disappears into the black hole; no foreign holidays in fact no holidays from home in the last 39 years; no alcohol; no smoking; no drugs; no chasing other women; no jealousy; no envy; no greed and I don't pray to the god of money; Bron and I are happy in our own little world we've created without a bit of help from anyone.

What an absolutely marvellous day I've enjoyed today; lots of useful progress in the workshop and as the day is like a summers day I knocked off and have taken Bron for a 20 mile trip into the countryside for a run out in the Yeti; we seldom get such beautiful days so might as well make the most of it.

With the main framework welded this morning I started work on the actual saw unit platform this afternoon which is coming along nicely; I'm making it up as I go along using offcuts of metal; the basic platform now receives the saw spindle as seen in the pictures; next job will be to sort out the motor mounting which is critical because it will need to align with the spindle regarding drive; at this stage drive belt length isn't a consideration because this can easily be sorted once the spindle and motor are located. I plan to fit double drive belts. The spindle sits on top of the platform whilst the motor will be under slung; I'm including pictures of the main frame base joints which are also welded from below leaving the top faces free of weld.

I managed to take a picture of the home made angle grinder hinged stand in action which is most impressive if I apply a bit of pressure; I rigged up a rough shield to contain the sparks a bit; not pretty but it works and saves a lot of cutting with an hacksaw.

Every day should be like today. Tomorrow I'm unable to get into the workshop and the afternoon is taken visiting the nurse for my blood/urine test results and to see if I'm still ticking?

Kind regards, Col.
DSCN2543.JPG
DSCN2543.JPG (184.13 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
DSCN2544.JPG
DSCN2544.JPG (197.09 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
DSCN2545.JPG
DSCN2545.JPG (223.4 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
DSCN2546.JPG
DSCN2546.JPG (202.93 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
DSCN2547.JPG
DSCN2547.JPG (179.25 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
DSCN2548.JPG
DSCN2548.JPG (235.92 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

I'm :cb and :lol: with both envy and admiration, Colin
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Nice welds Colin, mine would be covered in snot :lol:

DWD
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks AAA and DWD. :salute:

I'm not rushing this project but if I was nicely set up in the workshop and didn't suffer silly problems like the new DOL starter being faulty I could have completed this saw bench in a couple of days; I'm slowed down do to having just remodeled the garage into a full time workshop with new layouts etc so it feels very strange at the moment but I'm enjoying myself which is the important thing.

The welds aren't bad DWD but once I get used to the Bantam welder I'll be producing excellent welds; the stinger and cable on this Bantam are much heavier than those on the previous SIP welder and this does make a lot of difference but I'll get used to it.

I'm grounded today but it doesn't prevent me from thinking about the next step which is how to mount the heavy motor; the motor will be under-slung in relation to the spindle; if I mount the motor to the right it will mean a lot of extra metalwork but if I mount the motor to the left it will save a lot of extra work but then I'll need to determine the position because the motor is quite long and the fan cover will be directly in the path of the saw blade; this isn't a major problem but I also need to make allowance for dust extraction so although generally making the saw bench isn't difficult for me this is the section where I need to be careful because it's so easy to concentrate on only mounting the motor and to forget there is a 12" dia blade to take into account; over the years I've seen lots of simple mistakes so it pays to think ahead; once something is fully welded it won't come apart easily to make adjustments. At work one of the maintenance guys was installing a crane by the shrink wrapper and the crane support gantry was to be braced by a length of heavy angle iron welded to the wrapper; he welded the end of the angle iron to the gantry whilst the other end of the angle iron was supported on a ladder rung. There were a number of us watching including his manager as he started to weld; I stopped him and he was puzzled until I pointed out he was imprisoning the ladder because the angle iron was passed through an upper and lower rung; strange though how his manager was also watching but never spotted the mistake? Welding is pretty permanent so a lot of care is needed to get everything just right and to think the job through. I've been welding for the last 55 years but I can and still do make silly mistakes.

Kind regards, Col.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Just a thought Col, but can you mount the saw shaft pulley directly behind / on the same side as the saw blade? Motor wouldn't get in the way then. My Luna is set up something like that only with a flat belt.
Looks as if it's all coming together well. :thumbright:
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
Retired

Return to “Metalworking Forum”