Hotmail & "Whats App" spam emails

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I have Hotmail email address, it's fairly easy to deal with spam on there and I don't actually get very much anyway.

Recently I've been getting spam emails from "Whats App Service" (not something I've ever used) which my message filters don't seem to be able to deal with.

With one off spam mails I just block the sender, but these all come from different senders and so I set up message rules to deal with all the various permutations of sender and subject (always very similar), but the damned things are still getting through despite matching the parameters on my message rules.

It's not a huge problem, only one email per day usually, but it's frustrating that the filters won't deal with it.

What am I doing wrong, or what else can I do to stop these emails?
One day it will all be firewood.
Argyll

Re: Hotmail & "Whats App" spam emails

Post by Argyll »

I think you can stop the domain. BG I think will be the expert on this.
ayjay

Re: Hotmail & "Whats App" spam emails

Post by ayjay »

Argyll wrote:I think you can stop the domain. BG I think will be the expert on this.
The spam is all coming from different addresses, it's not actually from WhatsApp, only pretending to be.

That may be part of the problem with the filters, the emails show the sender as Whats App, but it's not.

I do also include the various different forms of the subject in the filter but those are being ignored too.
One day it will all be firewood.
ethan12
BANNED
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ethan12 »

ayjay wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:49 am I have Hotmail email address, it's fairly easy to deal with spam on there and I don't actually get very much anyway.

Recently I've been getting spam emails from "Whats App Service" (not something I've ever used) which my message filters don't seem to be able to deal with.

With one off spam mails I just block the sender, but these all come from different senders and so I set up message rules to deal with all the various permutations of sender and subject (always very similar), but the damned things are still getting through despite matching the parameters on my message rules.

It's not a huge problem, only one email per day usually, but it's frustrating that the filters won't deal with it.

What am I doing wrong, or what else can I do to stop these emails?
Usually the flow slows down and eventually stops if you move them to spam and simply leave Google, hotmail, yahoomail, to auto-delete in the pre-set 30 day cycle. If you interact with those messages in any way, you simply confirm to the spammers that the account is active and being monitored by a real human, so please resist the temptation to open, reply or click on any links or attachments in them.

This worked for me, and today my Spam folder is actually empty. At most I only ever get 1 per week now, after having to recover from perhaps 100 in my list a long while back.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I use Protonmail as my primary email provider. It costs me £5pm. I get no spam what so ever.

I have a gmail account which I rarely use.

Return to “Computers”