Hole found in roof felt in loft - is there quick fix?

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

nick200

Hole found in roof felt in loft - is there quick fix?

Post by nick200 »

Hi all,

I hope that this is the reight place to put this?

Not sure what to do here but I went into the loft and noticed that part of the felt has a hole in (probably about an inch across) and the wood has gone white along it (does not feel wet). Is there a way to fix it so that the tiles do not need to come off and I can do it internally? Can a felt patch be cut and then a quick seal/all weather roof repair be used to secure it in place? I have attached a photo but it is not the best quality...sorry but I can go back up later if required. If possible I would like to do the work myself and internally due to financial issues but if we need to I will get someone in to get the tiles off :cb

If the felt can be repaired internally then what is the best way to clean the wood off? Now I have read that once the wood is dry then to clean off the wood (some say with bleach solution) and then treat the wood once dry with something like Cuprinol?

Many thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMAG0751 resized.jpg
IMAG0751 resized.jpg (81.81 KiB) Viewed 19779 times
Nick

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/
cotswold builders
BANNED

Re: Hole found in roof felt in loft - is there quick fix?

Post by cotswold builders »

Can you fit a section of felt, make it large enough to lap over the bottom section and tuck under the top section.
Failing that Duct tape would do a temp repair.
Theres more work involved to do it properly, ie remove tiles and battens, new bit of felt, rebatten and tile.
These users thanked the author cotswold builders for the post:
nick200
Rating: 7.14%
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Hi Cotswold Builders, thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a felt flap, what would i use to stick it to the existing felt. At least that gives me time to save.

Thanks. :thumbright:
Nick

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

nick200 wrote:Hi Cotswold Builders, thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a felt flap, what would i use to stick it to the existing felt.
Duct tape.

How old is the house and and who built it? And is that part of the roof South facing.

I ask because I have a Wimpey built home, late 80's, where they used some material that apparently originated in Germany. And it breaks down with time, turning to powder/dust. Initially on the South facing side. Many of the houses on the estate have had to have the complete roofs off to be re-felted. I'm lucky. The house is sound but the garage is knackered but, being a garage, does it matter? Just a few MORE draughts. :lol:

And from my experience with cars, a draughty garage is actually an advantage, in that it helps to remove any rain/moisture from the bodywork that otherwise could lead to rusting. :-)
These users thanked the author Grumps for the post:
nick200
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

A mate of mine once had a hole in his felt like that and he fixed it by applying some flash banding primer and then flash banding over the top of the hole. Flash banding sticks like sh!t to a blanket on most surfaces and sticks even better if it is heated a little- just another possibility :wink:
These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post:
nick200
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Grumps wrote:
nick200 wrote:Hi Cotswold Builders, thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a felt flap, what would i use to stick it to the existing felt.
Duct tape.

How old is the house and and who built it? And is that part of the roof South facing.

I ask because I have a Wimpey built home, late 80's, where they used some material that apparently originated in Germany. And it breaks down with time, turning to powder/dust. Initially on the South facing side. Many of the houses on the estate have had to have the complete roofs off to be re-felted. I'm lucky. The house is sound but the garage is knackered but, being a garage, does it matter? Just a few MORE draughts. :lol:

And from my experience with cars, a draughty garage is actually an advantage, in that it helps to remove any rain/moisture from the bodywork that otherwise could lead to rusting. :-)
Thanks Grumps I will go and get some :thumbright:

The house is from the 80's but not sure if Wimpey's? The roof, apart from the hole, looks fine (well I assume fine) but it is not a powder/dust. I think that a few yeas ago someone punctured it but that it was never noticed (well I hope so!).

I bet the ventilation helps with the cars, the last thing you want is a damp car going in and staying damp :-)
Nick

nick200

Post by nick200 »

ultimatehandyman wrote:A mate of mine once had a hole in his felt like that and he fixed it by applying some flash banding primer and then flash banding over the top of the hole. Flash banding sticks like sh!t to a blanket on most surfaces and sticks even better if it is heated a little- just another possibility :wink:
Thanks UHM :thumbright:

Sounds like it should work but what is flash banding?! :scratch: :lol:
Nick

cotswold builders
BANNED

Post by cotswold builders »

Flash band is a silver/grey tape with bitumen on the back, available in the buiders merchants, wickes and some diy stores, normally used as a flashing alternative to lead, where roof adjoins wall.
Someone mentioned heating the tape, good idea as it makes the bitumen more pliable, and sticks better.
Be warned, dont use a naked flame, use a hot air gun or hair drier.
These users thanked the author cotswold builders for the post:
nick200
nick200

Post by nick200 »

cotswold builders wrote:Flash band is a silver/grey tape with bitumen on the back, available in the buiders merchants, wickes and some diy stores, normally used as a flashing alternative to lead, where roof adjoins wall.
Someone mentioned heating the tape, good idea as it makes the bitumen more pliable, and sticks better.
Be warned, dont use a naked flame, use a hot air gun or hair drier.
Thanks, I will attempt that soon :thumbright: but without flame!!
Nick

Return to “Building Forum”