Moderator: Moderators

fisha206
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Van

Post by fisha206 »

hey all
ive been working out of my car for about 18 months now doin a fair bit of domestic work i have gained a good reputation around a particular area and now,having plenty work on now i think its time to upgrade to a van.
i was wondering what people are using ideally it would fit 8x4 boards in to save time and money

Cheers Ben
trowel monkey

Post by trowel monkey »

Hi Ben,

i'd been doing the same until this year, decided to chop the car in for a van, spent much time deliberating on what to do, cost of running a big van over a smaller one etc and size of what i'd need to carry.

like you i was considering a van big enough to carry 8x4 sheets but consider the fact that they would need to go flat on the floor so your tools will need unloading first then in reverse when you want the boards off.

i finally decided that i would get a citroen dispatch, big enough to fit all my tools in and more than enough plaster for a days work as well as 4 or 5 8x4 boards on the large roof rack i fitted, if need more boards than this then i'd get them delivered to site, you will of course have to cover the boards if it's a wet day but think i've found the best solution for me doing domestic work as you do.
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

When I worked for myself, I had a double deck, or secret floor which hinged up.

Tools all went in the bottom out of sight, and the material on the top. Ideal if you carry large sheets, plus the van is wider above the wheel arch :roll:
fisha206
Newly registered Member

Post by fisha206 »

ive seen a few guys at the local plasterin merchants with the secrect floor type seems like a gud idea but i was thinking about just havin them stood up on the end pushed up to the bulkhead then i would have the rest ov the van to put tools and plaster etc...a mate ov mine has the renault master but thats far too big but does the job... push comes to shove i think ill go for the smaller one n get a roof rack know quite a few ov the lads at the merchants so im sure they would wrap up the boads before they were loaded

cheers for your advice
any other is more than welcome
Raf

Post by Raf »

how often do you need 8x4 sheets?

at a local merchant if i spend over £50 i get free delivery otherwise its a fiver (within a certain radius).... if i needed sheets now & then it would probably work out cheaper to get a smaller van and pay for delivery.

however if you use a lot of sheets or delivery isn't an option (too expensive/unreliable etc) then go for a bigger van now.

a van i like the look of is the old vito.... can you fit an 8x4 sheet above the arches? tis a small van..... otherwise trannys... the nations favourite!
fisha206
Newly registered Member

Post by fisha206 »

need the 8x4 quite often due to overboarding artexed celing which most ov my work seems to be lately, they do do certain delivery deals in loacl ara but am traveling quite a distance just to get work at the moment, im off to look at some this weekend so will keep ya informed :D
coatingman
Newly registered Member

van'il do

Post by coatingman »

i have a Ducato which is similar, most front wheel drive vans have better roof between the arches. I was a glass van before I got it and has a slanted 3x2 timber frame inside that I can lean 8x4's against, It also makes a great storage area for tools etc.
I also find that if you have a) a business and b) a van, get is sign written. For a few £00's I had full colour whole van done and get regular calls ref; I saw your van......
A head full of useful information....honest
Geewizz

Re: van'il do

Post by Geewizz »

coatingman wrote:I was a glass van before
That explains a lot.
Phil
Advise rhymes with rise. Advice rhymes with rice.

Return to “Plastering Forum”