Painting a plastic inspection chamber cover

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

adam-uk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Painting a plastic inspection chamber cover

Post by adam-uk »

Hi

We've recently had some building work done at home and have had a new white tile patio laid. Unfortunately, due the the layout of the drains there is a black palstic drain inspection chamber cover slap bang in the middle of it (screwfix part number 78458).

The Mrs is keen that I should paint it white, I agree - however I am unsure what paint (if any) would be suitable. I've tried to google "external floor paint for plastic" but havn't had much luck. Any suggestions??

Cheers all!!

:-)
gmoore
Newly registered Member

Post by gmoore »

Firstly it should not be painted, but if you do then something like Blackfriars Problem Solving Primer (White) then overcoated with a good floor paint.
adam-uk
Newly registered Member

Post by adam-uk »

thanks for the tip. why should it not be painted?
coatingman
Newly registered Member

yep it shouldn.t

Post by coatingman »

Plastic does not take to paint too well, though acrylic paint is better than vinyl . Have you thought of having some polycarb or pvcu cut to shape. (in white) and just laying it on top? :roll:
A head full of useful information....honest
gday2uk

Post by gday2uk »

Just spray it with plasti-kote super. Suitable for outside. If it's going to take traffic though you may end up painting it every year; but so what!
adam-uk
Newly registered Member

Post by adam-uk »

thanks for the tips. i think i'll give it a go with plasti-kote super. fingers crossed!!!
handyman

Post by handyman »

dulux trade weathershield gloss will do fine, it states on the tin you can paint straight onto plastic without any prep apart from cleaning (ie no sanding)

As long as knowone walks on it too often it should be fine enough.
adam-uk
Newly registered Member

Post by adam-uk »

Hi all

I primed the inspection cover with a 3 coats of plasti-kote primer then did 4 coats with an external maisonry paint. That was a few weeks ago and so far all looks good!

Thanks for all the tips :)
python
General Builder

Post by python »

next time get whoever lays the patio to replace the old manhole cover with a recessed one that he can pave into, like the one shown here - http://www.creteprint-driveways.co.uk/c ... p?image=30

I wouldn't ever use anything else on a patio, the cost increas for someone competent would usually be around £100 per cover (I'm estimating, including cost of new cover, labour to instal cover and extra work laying slabs in it), which as a % of the total cost, compared to %effect it has on the finished look of the job is almost always a no brainer step to take.

Return to “General DIY forum”