2 way switch wiring, all wires same color

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

dlldxb
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by dlldxb »

Hi

I am replacing a light switch on a 2 way circuit. All the wires are yellow except the yellow/green ground which seem to be the only one to code. On the first switch there are 4 other wires, which will be L1 L2 and common, but all are yellow. 2 have black tape, would this indicate they are the live? The wires were loose from the connectors so I cant backtrace where they were connected. I have pulled the other switch out and it has the yellow wire with no tape or marking whatsoever.

I come from a 110/60hz world so still getting used to UK wiring and lack of neutral (miss my Wemo's back home)

thanks
Scotty001

Post by Scotty001 »

Where the wires were loose are the fully out of the connector so you have no way of telling which connector they were in?

Re the black tape being switched live, I would only hazard a guess as yes (it's only a guess) , simply because although there is nothing to say it must be wired this way with these colours, generally people stick to the what is expected and don't throw in the same colour wire for everything. Without the right test equipment / multimeter it's not going to be straight forward to find Out.

Others more knowledgeable (Inc qualified electricians) will be along to assist better than I, if you could post some pics of both switches and wires in site that will help them a lot.
These users thanked the author Scotty001 for the post:
dlldxb (Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 am)
Rating: 7.14%
dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

photos of switches
Attachments
switch 2 copy.png
switch 2 copy.png (2 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
switch1 copy.png
switch1 copy.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Correct me if I am wrong, but do I see 4 yellow wires, two have black tape, and two are just plain yellow?

Is the switch in the picture the new switch? or is it the old switch?

Before you did anything, could you turn the light on/off at say, the bottom of the stairs, the top of the stairs AND on the landing?

If that switch is the new switch, do you have a picture of the old switch ? (If so, does it have 4 terminals?)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

switch in picture is the other switch but both are same. Before light was working, but then stopped. So i am assuming when painters pulled covers, wire came loose. Yes all are yellow except the ground, The black tape I am assuming is the live
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Sorry, but you are there I am not, so.............

What do you mean "other switch"

Also, when everything was working, how many switches/places were there that you could turn the same light on and off from? Oh, pull cord switches count too.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

To expand on what I am thinking.

You have 4 wires at one switch (Not counting earth) We don't normally have 4 wires for one switch, normally it is just 2 or 3 wires.
We do however have ONE "situation" (For want of a better word) that does require 4 wires, and it would be logical to mark just two of the wires, as get it wrong and it will not work.

Now the "fun" part.

I am guessing that all the switches were taken off at some point?

Take a picture of the back of each switch that was removed.

I am looking for a switch that has 4 actual terminals.

dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

2 way wired switches
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I am trying to help you.

As I said I am not there, so I (and anyone else) can not seek the information required for ourselves. If you continue to choose to give short statements and to ignore the questions fine, It is not possible to help you further.

dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

the short answer was to your question "What do you mean "other switch"" Its a two way switch circuit. the two pictures show switch in place and the wires of the removed switch. both switches are as the one shown. I am thinking that the un taped yellow wires were twisted together attached to common and the tapes are L1 and L2. Like i said both were "pulled away" for painting but only the switch with the 4 wires came loose.

like I said, i am used to standard American wiring, so the mono colored UK wiring is new to me
Scotty001

Post by Scotty001 »

Dlld mono Coloured wiring is not standard, that's where part of this issue is, each wire should be a different colour but who eber installed it probably didn't have enough length of the correct cable so thought they would use anything to hand, in this case all the same colour.

This
Old wiring colours

Or this
New wiring colours

Is how it should look.
*Note if you have metal switch plates you would also connect the earth to the switch plate as well as the metal back box (if it's a plastic back box it won't need the earth connected to it.

https://www.flameport.com/electric/ligh ... twoway.cs4 gives a good description of how it should be and the colours.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

What the colours should be does not matter since it has already been wired using Yellow.

I can not help but wonder as it has 4 wires is it an intermediate switch?

Since the wires are all yellow, you have 2 choices. (As you may have guessed, yellow is not a standard colour on its own.)

1) Trial and error
2) Use a multi meter to find out what does what.

There is however a vague chance that one of the other switches may give a clue. Can you post a picture of the other switch please. (Not the front but the back with the wires connected.)

dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

thanks drawing you supplied is the first one i looked at, and yes the wire counts are different. ground does attach to plate. enclosed is the secondary switch
Attachments
switch 2 copy.png
switch 2 copy.png (2 MiB) Viewed 2863 times
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Scotty001 I know it's a week old post and the OP will never get back. But this is a conduit installation and used the old colour scheme. Now whoever designed or installed it has used yellow as it's a 3 phase system and that lighting circuit was on the yellow phase. They almost certainly did not just use whatever cable they had to hand.

It would be typical on a conduit system for there to be 3 cores at one switch and 4 cores and the other switch. One switch would have perm live in and a perm live out to the next switch (in the COM terminal) plus two strappers to the other switch. The other switch would have the two strappers and one switched live (in the COM terminal) to the light fitting.

It's rare to see such things in a domestic property as they are not often 3 phase but not uncommon in offices and schools.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post (total 2):
Scotty001 (Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm) • LadySpark (Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
dlldxb
Newly registered Member

Post by dlldxb »

Got a multimeter and tested the marked wires. When connecting to either unmarked as common and the taped assuming hot, they test out as 2 way. I also found drawing for the house and enclosed the area
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 1.15.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 1.15.14 PM.png (100.89 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
I am referring to.

Return to “Lighting”