Router speed for masons mitre

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Blakey

Post by Blakey »

Hi all,
I have managed to get my hands on some odd lengths of laminate worktop, to have a practice at cutting a masons mitre, before being let loose on the real thing, I have read up, and watched a few people on YouTube, but no mention of router speed, all I have found in my router instructions is “ slow speed for big cutters, high speed for smaller cutters”, I have a DeWalt 626 router that I believe goes from 800 to 2100,
As always all/any advice greatly appreciated as to what speed I should be setting the router.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is really referring to diameter of the cutters. With the wide panel raising bits the tips would be going much faster than the centre on full speed and this causes cutting issues so you slow it down. When you do a worktop the cutter is usually a half inch diameter or so, so the faster speeds are okay. Worktops bugger cutters and you only get two or three joints out of each by the time you cut the profiles and the dog bones. Now I am sure that others will have a favourite brand but the £40 set blunts up the same as the £15 one.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Blakey (Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Blakey

Post by Blakey »

Thanks DWD
I’ve got a brand new trend cutter for the main job, if I get that far, and one to play with, don’t mind buying another one if it increases the chances of a better finish.
fin

Post by fin »

jus set it to maximum speed

also use a hoover attached to the router if possible. particularly on the tie bolt cut outs. i did offer this advice on here a while back and someone replied saying that it took far too much time faffing about. absolute rubbish. takes very little extra time and makes the cutter last loads longer.
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
Blakey (Thu May 07, 2020 7:40 pm)
Blakey

Post by Blakey »

Thanks fin,
The router has a see through vacuum port attached, so will take a few seconds to connect, the fitters who fitted my worktops a few year back, cut them in my drive and the mess was unbelievable.
Follow up question, how many tie bolt cut outs do you need for a 600 worktop.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Three. I also put biscuits in mine just to keep it level and I also varnish the ends to prevent it swelling in case of water ingress. Some say it's over kill but it makes a really good job of it.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
Blakey (Sat May 09, 2020 9:34 am)
fin

Post by fin »

i go three as thats what my jig has on it. my jig is the unika multi surface jig which does both 10mm inset and 23mm inset mason mitres.

good tip spend the extra on zip bolts rather than the standard bolts. make it a bit easier to do them yourself and you can quite easily slacken and retighten with a screwdriver rather than a spanner. that way ya can fine tune the joint

i normally just use what is provided so in most cases its colorfill
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
Blakey (Sat May 09, 2020 9:36 am)
fin

Post by fin »

actually.....

my biscuit jointer is a cheap aldi thing. ive never used any other i dont think. i wonder what a bisucut blade on my router would be like.... with my biscuit jointer the biscuits arent like a tight fit or anything. so the worktops are never set level theres still movement of sorts.

also i find that a lot of the time the worktops are somehow trapped so using biscuits is basically impossible.

also its usually only possible to get a couple in by the time ya deal with the tie bolts aswell.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I haven't used my biscuit jointer in a while but it was loose horizontally not vertically so it kept things nice and tight.

I can't remember it's make. Think it's an Erbauer from Screwfix.
Blakey

Post by Blakey »

Thanks once again for replies, I do have a biscuit jointer, so I will have a practice with that,

Argyll, last question ( hopefully), when you varnish the ends, do you leave them to dry and then assemble them or assemble them when tacky,
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Blakey wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 am Thanks once again for replies, I do have a biscuit jointer, so I will have a practice with that,

Argyll, last question ( hopefully), when you varnish the ends, do you leave them to dry and then assemble them or assemble them when tacky,
Sorry been busy the last few days so just read this. I actually give it 2 coats letting each coat dry. I understand though sometimes that's not possible due to time restrictions.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
Blakey (Wed May 13, 2020 4:30 pm)

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”