plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

MalloryWeiss
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Kitchen sink plumbing

Post by MalloryWeiss »

Hi first time poster.

I recently had kitchen worktops fitted and new sink and mixer tap with pull out spout installed. There is a problem with hot water supply to the tap with very low flow (was fine with previous tap). Really too low to be of any real use. I checked and the tap connector has been installed with a kink in it (the tap came with what I think are proprietary push in connections on the end of the supplied tap connectors which look vaguely like the audio connectors in the image below!)

Photos of the installed pipework - best photos I could get. The HW supply was originally the copper pipe at the rear pointing to the left. All the other bits of plastic/copper pipe were added by plumber.

To my untrained eye the plumbing seems completely illogical. Plumber denied there was a problem and said it was a safety feature of the tap (which probably is a thing but there is only a dribble of water coming from the tap).

Am I correct I saying it has not been a job well done? Any reason why I should just have a go at removing some of the excess pipework and trying to get things straightened out myself?? Will the tap connector now be kinked forever?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone-Else

Re: Kitchen sink plumbing

Post by Someone-Else »

Get your plumber back, and let him fix it. Those are flexible connections and they are kinked.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

MalloryWeiss wrote: To my untrained eye the plumbing seems completely illogical. Plumber denied there was a problem and said it was a safety feature of the tap (which probably is a thing but there is only a dribble of water coming from the tap).
Your plumber is a cowboy. The flexis should have no kinks at all (because kinks cause the flow problems that you're having). And, while everyone has bad days occasionally, the really unforgivable thing is he didn't hold his hands up and apologise for his mistake when you pointed it out to him, instead spinning that yarn about it being a safety feature of that tap, which is complete and utter BS.
Am I correct I saying it has not been a job well done? Any reason why I should just have a go at removing some of the excess pipework and trying to get things straightened out myself?? Will the tap connector now be kinked forever?
Yes, you could fix it yourself. The existing flexis themselves may be alright if you unkink them, although they may be irreparably damaged. They're basically rubber hoses with a braided metal protective outer layer. After being severly kinked, they either may not "unkink" properly, or they may leak if disturbed. You should be able to buy replacements if you need them - they usually have either 10 or 12mm threaded connectors that go into the base of the tap and seal with rubber O rings. https://www.screwfix.com/search?search= ... +tap+tails
These users thanked the author chrrris for the post:
MalloryWeiss
Rating: 7.14%
Haste is the enemy of quality.
wes56

Post by wes56 »

no plumber installed that mess. you might have problems if you have to get up to reconect atthe tap tails. shortening all that bits an peces of pipework will take the kinks outof the flexis.
youve not asked but the installer seems to haave cut out the back of the unit to bring in the supplies. an do you have a prper trap?
maybeyou should pull the lot back to where the supplies come into the cabinet and then redo it all.take care the pull out hose isnt fouling the flexis
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
MalloryWeiss
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I didn't notice the trap till you mentioned it. What a dog's dinner. Bodged everywhere.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
MalloryWeiss
Newly registered Member

Post by MalloryWeiss »

Thanks for the replies.

I shortened the pipework and straightened the flexi hose and water flow is acceptable!

The black hose is draining the 0.5 of a 1.5 bowl sink. It then connects into a proper trap. This is the same configuration as it was previously. I assume that is ok?

Needless to say that 'plumber' won't be back.
someone-else wrote:Get your plumber back, and let him fix it. Those are flexible connections and they are kinked.
If he didn't take the care (or have the skill/knowledge) to do it right in the first place, I really wouldn't trust him to put it right.

Thanks all

mike10
Newly registered Member

Post by mike10 »

MalloryWeiss wrote:The black hose is draining the 0.5 of a 1.5 bowl sink. It then connects into a proper trap. This is the same configuration as it was previously. I assume that is ok?
It looks as though it drops quite a way before coming back up into the trap. Having the bottom half full of water isn't ideal.
Can you get a picture from slightly further back so we can see the pipes better.
These users thanked the author mike10 for the post:
MalloryWeiss
MalloryWeiss
Newly registered Member

Post by MalloryWeiss »

mike10 wrote: It looks as though it drops quite a way before coming back up into the trap. Having the bottom half full of water isn't ideal.
Can you get a picture from slightly further back so we can see the pipes better.

Sorry for the delay - been away over New year. I have attached photo. It does dip down and then come up to the trap. Should I shorten the black hose in this case?

This 'plumber' lost himself some work as my hot water storage tank has sprung a leak (the joys of buying and old house!) and he definitely didn't get the call for the work!

Thanks

Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I would reduce the black hose length definitely. You'll get water sat in the dip which will smell and eventually build up with scum and grime.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Ktuludays for the post (total 2):
mike10MalloryWeiss
Rating: 14.29%
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
mike10
Newly registered Member

Post by mike10 »

Yes, as Ktuludays says, it would be best to shorten the black pipe so that less water sits in it.
These users thanked the author mike10 for the post:
MalloryWeiss
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

That black plastic flexi is a bodge. (waste) Your so called plumber isn't even a decent handyman...

you need summat like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-dou ... 40mm/71787

1/2 an hour job for a competent plumber/handyman.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Ktuludays
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

:withstupid:

Wine~o's right. It should really have a proper 1.5 bowl waste and trap. The black flexi is an overflow waste connection and isn't really designed to carry the volume or type of waste from a kitchen sink (bits of food, grease, fat, etc). Unless you're very careful about what you put down it, it'll block eventually if left.

PS. Well done to the original poster for sorting out the tap connectors, and well done also on making the correct decision not to get the so-called plumber back in. I wouldn't even want him in the same county as the pipework in my house! :-)
Haste is the enemy of quality.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”