Gas has been a valued service in our homes for much longer than electricity. Gas lamps were often seen in most houses during the Victorian age and some still exist to this day, whilst we rely on it mainly for Cooking and Heating, Gas tumble driers exist, although they are still rare compared to electric models.
Natural Gas is colourless, odourless and non Toxic, However it is Highly Flammable therefore Gas suppliers add a chemical (mercaptan) that smells like rotten eggs to make it distinguishable.
IF YOU SUSPECT A GAS LEAK
- Do not smoke.
- Do not light matches.
- Do not operate any electrical switches including light switches as these can cause a spark.
- Do not Use a mobile phone or land line telephone.
- Locate the gas meter in the property and isolate the incoming gas.
- Leave the door open and any windows that are already open.
- Leave the building immediately.
- Got to a nearby phone and call TRANSCO 0800 111 999
Gas is considered too dangerous for DIY so please use a Gas safe Registered engineer.
- Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with the Gas Safe Register.
- Do not use any appliance or fittings that you suspect of being unsafe, get them checked by a registered Gas Safe Engineer.
- If you rent out a property it is essential that you get all gas appliances serviced and checked regularly, your Gas safe engineer will supply you with a gas safety certificate every year- Keep it in a safe place!