DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Zinsser allcoat exterior
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:56 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Bought 2.5 litres from Crown last week, tinted into a colour. She gave me 30% discount and it was still £53.

As we ran out I thought I'd do a shop around, basically for which stockist could get it to us first, as Crown had to have it mixed by Zinsser and it took several days to come.

I bought the same stuff from Decorating Direct for £36 and that included delivery and a free viper trim paint brush!

Its little wonder shops are shutting. The Internet suppliers bend over backwards on price and service. A £17 price difference on a single product *after they've applied discount* is just too rich for me.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author fitzy has received thanks - 2: aeromech3, Tom d'Angler
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:33 pm 

I don't recall exactly what I paid but it was a decent price online from decorating direct like you, much better than instore and it was delivered to my door. Good paint too. I did only buy it in white though.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Rorschach wrote:
I don't recall exactly what I paid but it was a decent price online from decorating direct like you, much better than instore and it was delivered to my door. Good paint too. I did only buy it in white though.
Scandalous price difference there mate. Wish I'd checked online before I went into Crown.

Yes, very good paint though. We've gone straight onto plastic with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 pm 

Very interested to see this thread.

As a result of previous comment about this paint on this forum, I ordered 2.5l (RAL code) from a small independent chain of merchants (South Wales only) as a walk-in customer, not trade. The price was £36 + vat, £43.20, & I have since re-ordered at same price.

However, you experts say it's good but we struggle with it: over primed new timber it is very thin and takes at least three coats if not four to get any sort of substantial depth of finish. Also, on any sort of warm day it dries off so quick that brush marks don't flow out.

The first can was for emergency diy attention to new window frames in a listed building - we have a professional coming next month to do the remainder of the building properly, we'll see what he says about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

arco_iris wrote:
Very interested to see this thread.

As a result of previous comment about this paint on this forum, I ordered 2.5l (RAL code) from a small independent chain of merchants (South Wales only) as a walk-in customer, not trade. The price was £36 + vat, £43.20, & I have since re-ordered at same price.

However, you experts say it's good but we struggle with it: over primed new timber it is very thin and takes at least three coats if not four to get any sort of substantial depth of finish. Also, on any sort of warm day it dries off so quick that brush marks don't flow out.

The first can was for emergency diy attention to new window frames in a listed building - we have a professional coming next month to do the remainder of the building properly, we'll see what he says about it.
Are are you priming with zinsser coverstain?

The water based exterior paints aren't really designed to be high build products, they're more about flexibility and protection, as the traditional oil based paints would break down due to the chalky brittle nature of the undercoats.

My mate worked in New Zealand for several months some years back and said it was there where he learned how to apply water based finishes by just piling them on heavily. By doing so, you give yourself more chance of keeping a wet edge and less brush marks.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm 

fitzy wrote:

Frame (i) an original casement was taken back to virtually bare wood by sanding/stripping then coated with Coverstain oil-based - it was ordered in the RAL colour but they couldn't supply, so they sent grey, presumably the manufacturer knows what they are doing. Top coating was not too bad, but not easy.

Frame (ii) a new double door unit was supplied ready sprayed with Morells Joinery Coating in the same RAL code but you can see it is slightly different - not yet overcoated with Allcoat.

(iii) adjoining panels were reglazed - the bead supplied pre-primed white, Allcoat barely covers with the first coat.

(iv) Allcoat Exterior says on the tin it does not need priming!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

arco_iris wrote:
fitzy wrote:

Frame (i) an original casement was taken back to virtually bare wood by sanding/stripping then coated with Coverstain oil-based - it was ordered in the RAL colour but they couldn't supply, so they sent grey, presumably the manufacturer knows what they are doing. Top coating was not too bad, but not easy.

Frame (ii) a new double door unit was supplied ready sprayed with Morells Joinery Coating in the same RAL code but you can see it is slightly different - not yet overcoated with Allcoat.

(iii) adjoining panels were reglazed - the bead supplied pre-primed white, Allcoat barely covers with the first coat.

It doesn't need a separate primer for most stuff, but when you read the data sheets it says Bullseye 123 for UPVC and the rep told me to prime bare timber with the coverstain.

Second coat covers much better, but we're finding it needs a 3rd for colour changes.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 am 

fitzy wrote:
arco_iris wrote:
fitzy wrote:

It doesn't need a separate primer for most stuff, but when you read the data sheets it says Bullseye 123 for UPVC and the rep told me to prime bare timber with the coverstain.

Second coat covers much better, but we're finding it needs a 3rd for colour changes.

Zinsser told me that the 123 had the same bonding resin as the Allcoat so not needed, go figure!?!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 am 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Desmondo15 wrote:
fitzy wrote:
arco_iris wrote:
fitzy wrote:

Zinsser told me that the 123 had the same bonding resin as the Allcoat so not needed, go figure!?!
Yeah, we've put it straight onto some Plastic windows and garage doors. Their app says to use 123 though.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 pm 

Quote:
Decorating Direct

I use them for a few bits and pieces but it looks like I need to use them for more stuff if that price is anything to go by!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm 

Allcoat is brilliant stuff, great on fascia's and soffits, I once used it on the plastic handles of up and over garage doors and it lasted years, in fact it shows no sign of wear at all despite constant use.

For this message the author ian gibson has received thanks - 2: fitzy, Rorschach
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 pm 

ian gibson wrote:
Allcoat is brilliant stuff, great on fascia's and soffits, I once used it on the plastic handles of up and over garage doors and it lasted years, in fact it shows no sign of wear at all despite constant use.

I have had it up a few years now on some bits on the house, masonry, wood and metal garage door. The masonry looks brand new, doesnt even get dirty as all the dust washes off in the rain. The wood looks good and the metal door is only suffering from existing rust spots which I obviously missed. I spot treated them last week with jenolite before touching up and they are now looking great again. Rest of the door looks fine.

Recommended the paint by this site and I am so glad I used it, very easy to use and clean up too. Previously I was using oil based on the garage door and it was a nightmare in comparison.

For this message the author Rorschach has received thanks - 2: fitzy, ian gibson