DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Xmas cards
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:34 pm 

Living right in the corner of the Close and being from London I still don't know the names of most of my neighbours after 8 years :roll:

So why do I get cards pushed through the door with messages like 'To all at no ?? from those at number 8?'

What's the point of sending it if you don't know each others name and you don't even put your names in it??

Although perhaps it's the houses that are sending the cards to one another - that may make sense then :dunno:

If that's the case my house is going to be unsociable yet again this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Xmas cards
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:09 pm 

We've lived in the bottom corner of a 10 house cul-de-sac for fifteen years and generally don't see any of the occupants from day-to-day. Our neighbours immediately left are elderly/infirm/built their home sixty years ago, if we have occasion to see them we enquire as to their welfare but they don't seem to want our offers of assistance.

Immediately right 20 yards away we have not seen in the flesh for many years, if I saw her in the village I wouldn't recognise her, though her husband sometimes shakes a charity box outside the local shop so I ignore him.

Only in the last six months have I learnt the names of the other households and some in the next road, due to corresponding by email with each other over a mutual objection to a planning application by one of them.

Christmas cards? Not a hope! I keep a couple of blanks by the door, in case I need to make a return, but don't think they'll be needed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 am 

It could be worse, where I live the bloody neighbours want you to go in and have a drink with them a Christmas. I'm all for a drink but trying to make small talk with people who I have nothing in common with kills me. It like death by a thousand paper cuts!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 am 

...........and there was me thinking I was an anti-social old scrote - seems I'm just normal after all. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:38 pm 

I'm looking after the two cats who live next door so that their usual servants can go to see the family for a few days, All the people the other side are dead, so I don't hear from them.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:58 pm 

dandan wrote:
It could be worse, where I live the bloody neighbours want you to go in and have a drink with them a Christmas. I'm all for a drink but trying to make small talk with people who I have nothing in common with kills me. It like death by a thousand paper cuts!

Similar here. To be honest some of them aren't that bad, but I'm an antisocial git. Builder mate who lives down the lane here did pop in last Christmas to have coffee and a chat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:07 pm 

When I lived in London I only knew the name of my next door neighbour to the right of me. No one else would speak.

When I lived in the North east of England I knew about half the people on my street. Now I live in Scotland I know everyone on my Street.

It's a fact the further north you go in the UK people are friendlier.

Except Dickie and SJ. Those two are c**t :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:17 pm 

Apart from Mooncat and Argyll you are all anti-social old scrotes......

We moved in here (Detached) about 6 years ago; we exchange cards with both our immediate neighbours and get on well with them to a degree..

We also still exchange cards with our neighbours from the previous address (Terrace) or at least those that still live there.

@ Argyll, Nowt to do with how far North you live..some people are just more friendly than others.....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:25 pm 

Mrs k_e posted our cards to the neighbours the other day - shes actually used the post box right opposite their houses in the village to do it instead of dropping them straight into their letterboxes!

Money to burn....... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 pm 

wine~o wrote:
@ Argyll, Nowt to do with how far North you live..some people are just more friendly than others.....

I would disagree with you there but I think it's more to do with the culture they are brought up in rather than the people per se. I have many friends who are Londoners but it took me a long time to get to know them. As with most southerners they wouldn't talk to you on the street but would chat to you in the right circumstances.

I remember when my ex partner and I went for a night out in Stirling. I got chatting to some guy in the taxi rank. My ex asked me later who he was and I replied 'no idea'. She couldn't get her head round that I could just chat to complete strangers. The North East of England is very similar in terms of you could chat to strangers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:16 pm 

Hi,

Bron and I tend to rub along well with our neighbours; some are better than others and just one really bad family of burglars; druggies and car thieves occupying two properties which we ignore as much as possible and definitely don't send a card to. I walked the cul de sac a couple of nights ago posting the Christmas cards during a very brief lull when the monsoon was turned off. Neighbours at the head of the cul de sac have a large Labrador type dog they like to leave outside barking all the time but fortunately we are far enough away not to be unduly bothered by it. We are on speaking terms with all our neighbours even the really bad ones; we tolerate these just in case we need to move at some point? Neighbours head for our door when they have a problem or need help; if they go on holiday they let me know and I keep an eye on their home plus pull the wheelie bins out; it costs nothing to be neighbourly but we don't live in each others houses. For what its worth it wouldn't bother me if Christmas was cancelled because it is so false. I'm not a church goer and don't believe in god but I do like Christmas carols and a bit of goodwill towards me.

Years ago the nasty neighbour next door to us sent in a very blunt objection to us when we applied for planning permission to build a detached dwelling in our rear garden; he objected quite forcibly about his privacy being compromised. When I was shown the letter I too sent a letter into the planning office saying I could very well understand his worry about lack of privacy; perhaps he wanted his son to burgle his next door storing the stolen items in his garage without being seen? The son got caught and got away with a token wrist slap. I included the half page out of our local paper about the court case. Why travel to burgle when you can burgle next door? :thumbleft:

Here's a card from Bron and me to everyone.

Kind regards, Col.

http://www.123greetings.com/events/christmas/merry_christmas/christmas_filled_with_fun_and_joy.html

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:55 pm 

Mooncat wrote:
All the people the other side are dead, so I don't hear from them.

Hmmm. Could be worse - they could be in touch with you. In which case you might be tken as "touched", I suppose

wine~o wrote:
Apart from Mooncat and Argyll you are all anti-social old scrotes.......

I'll take that in the spirit in which it was intended. I'd cross you off our Christmas card list, but as we don't have one even that simple pleasure has been denied me

I send Christmas cards to a few of my neighbours, but not to most of them on this street. After many years on this street and some really shitty behaviour out of some of them I'm not about to be two faced at this stage! The few people who are decent and honest in their dealings with me I always send cards to, but then those are the folk I'll stop and pass the time of day with in any case. Judgemental? Hell, yes, but who isn't?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:21 pm 

i guess south shields must be canny friendly like. always got loads on our old street. and where we live now theres a canny few been hoyed through the door.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 pm 

ayjay wrote:
...........and there was me thinking I was an anti-social old scrote - seems I'm just normal after all. :lol:

Haha I was thinking the same. I am perfectly happy with a smile or maybe a hello from the neighbours, that will do it thanks. Emergency situations are different, I am happy to help out then, but small talk etc, no chance. On the few occasions in the past where I have been friendly with neighbours it has always bitten me in the arse, some have stolen items, others just taken advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Mrs k_e posted our cards to the neighbours the other day - shes actually used the post box right opposite their houses in the village to do it instead of dropping them straight into their letterboxes!

Money to burn....... :roll:

Haha thats a bit like an ebay purchase earlier in the year. The seller lived one road over from us, I can see her house from my bedroom window. It was free P&P so I paid via paypal for the protection, expecting it to be dropped through my door with maybe a receipt to sign etc. No, the silly woman took it a mile in the opposite direction to our local Post office, paid to post it recorded for it then to be delivered about 100 yards from where she lives to a house she can see from her window! :lol:

Ahh well, didn't cost me anything :mrgreen:

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]