DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Re: Xmas cards
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:34 pm 

Rorschach wrote:

Haha thats a bit like an ebay purchase earlier in the year. The seller lived one road over from us, I can see her house from my bedroom window. It was free P&P so I paid via paypal for the protection, expecting it to be dropped through my door with maybe a receipt to sign etc. No, the silly woman took it a mile in the opposite direction to our local Post office, paid to post it recorded for it then to be delivered about 100 yards from where she lives to a house she can see from her window! :lol:

Ahh well, didn't cost me anything :mrgreen:

There's weird people on eBay that I can't figure sometimes. I've been looking for a new jacket for some time now, a specific make and style of jacket.

Brand new and normal retail they're £140 - you can sometimes pick up slight seconds or sales demonstrators on eBay from the manufacturer for between £70 & £100.

I'd been doing a regular search for one for a couple of weeks, but had missed a few days last week - I looked on Sunday and there was one on there for £70 (or best offer) ending in about three hours time - there were 15 people watching it.

I didn't bother watching it, I bought it.

It arrived yesterday, it's perfect.

Merry Xmas to me. :mrgreen:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 am 

For the second year I haven't given out Xmas cards at work. Instead I use this money to give two homeless people their Xmas dinner. With 9,000 ex forces on the street it is a charity close to my heart.

http://www.itison.com/f/11702-11c755

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 am 

With you on that Argyll. I've given up on all charities. Until the law is changed to make them indicate in BIG numbers, the percentage of funds that actually go to their cause, then I totally and utterly refuse to give them anything.

There are some charities that pass only 1% of their income to their 'chosen' cause - disgusting.

Instead I look after two local churches (voluntarily and, sometimes, at my own expense) for their maintenance and we look after and feed stray cats in our area - one we've kept 'alive' for 3 years now.

I reckon I spend much MORE on my own chosen causes now than I ever did when 'forced' to pay by collections etc.

Next year we plan to cut back on the cards and direct the money saved to other causes (that WE chose).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:27 pm 

I am being much more choosy about donation, as you say, far too much goes on admin, eg. Kids Company. The NSPCC is another one similar, and they won't support boys against genital cutting, only the girls. Africa is another sink for money from Europe, and much is wasted or stolen.

Today, I received a card sold by M&S, but printed in China with image from the Getty collection, and the Woodland Trust loge. But all they get out of it is when it is recycled through M&S. It could easily have provided employment for printers, artists and photographers in the UK

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Time zone: Europe/London