DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:05 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Would this work?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 am 
Newly registered Member

Please bear with me if I've got terminology wrong, I'm not a computer whizz-kid.
I have recently got a new wireless router which is far better than my old one and is installed near my incoming cable downstairs, (I'm with Virgin). It gives a very good signal with good coverage over the whole house and including the garden except for one room, (ironically my office upstairs), which is out on a bit of a limb. My PC in the office is cabled from the downstairs router and works perfectly fine with a broadband speed in excess of 60mbs. The question is, could I connect my old 'D-Link' router to this cable in my office using some sort of splitter so that when I need to use wireless equipment there, (laptop, iPad etc), I can get a decent signal? Any suggestions would be very welcome but, please, in layman's language. Thanks in advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Would this work?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 am 
Troll Headbutter

What's the model of the old d-link router?

You might be able too, but there are a few settings needed (if it allows) to make it work without odd issues.

Mega router >> Cable >> Wired switch >> d-Link router (configured as an access point)
>> PC plugged into switch, as before

You'll end up with two wireless networks though, which can cause issues of it's own accord (they won't be "helping" each other, they will be competing essentially). If you don't tune the power and other settings, you might find they your devices will latch onto the wrong one and have a poor experience.

Can you move the good router somewhere more central in the house for better coverage and keep the wired connection to your office anyhow?

BG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your reply, BillyGoat. I think, from your comments, that trying to relocate the new router somewhere more central in the house may be the best option. It will mean extension cables but hope this, in itself, won't cause any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm 

Might be worth having a look at plug in wifi extenders.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

johnM20 wrote:
Please bear with me if I've got terminology wrong, I'm not a computer whizz-kid.
I have recently got a new wireless router which is far better than my old one and is installed near my incoming cable downstairs, (I'm with Virgin). It gives a very good signal with good coverage over the whole house and including the garden except for one room, (ironically my office upstairs), which is out on a bit of a limb. My PC in the office is cabled from the downstairs router and works perfectly fine with a broadband speed in excess of 60mbs. The question is, could I connect my old 'D-Link' router to this cable in my office using some sort of splitter so that when I need to use wireless equipment there, (laptop, iPad etc), I can get a decent signal? Any suggestions would be very welcome but, please, in layman's language. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Yes you could,

Is the "WAN" port on the D-link an RJ45 port? I have FTTC broadband and the WAN port on my router is the RJ11 type.

If your "WAN" port on your D-link is RJ45 then all you need to do is put the cable from the main router into the wan port and login in to the D-Link and setup the wireless. If you make sure the SSID (wireless name) and the wireless password is the same on both routers then you will be able to roam throughout the house and the wireless device (ipad etc) will pick up the signal from which ever is strongest.

It is important however that you configure both routers to allocate seperate ip address ranges or you could have a situation where one router has assigned an ip address to a client and the second gives out the same address.

I could configure this for you pretty easily if you wanted to share a webex session from a computer who had access to both routers. Needless to say you would then just change the SSID passwords to your own choice when we were finished.

Hope this helps

Vlb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:09 am 

With my super hub I found the further receivers (netflix) and mobiles worked better off the lower rate 2.4GHz if that makes sense!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:53 am 

SurrealDeal wrote:

I had the exact same problem in my garage,I bought the BT 500 power line extender,simplicity itself,just plug one into the wall next to your router,plug your router into that then put the second unit in your preferred location ,

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:04 am 
Newly registered Member

Cannyfixit wrote:
SurrealDeal wrote:

I had the exact same problem in my garage,I bought the BT 500 power line extender,simplicity itself,just plug one into the wall next to your router,plug your router into that then put the second unit in your preferred location ,

i use powerline to my garage too. And i have a 4 server home lab and NAS running test enviroments for my day job. I also used powerline to my upstairs office for a while until my missus agreed to let me run CAT6 up the outsiide of the house :)

Powerline is decent stuff.