DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all

I've searched the forums and found a similar issue but not the same one so apologies if I'm re-treading old ground.

We've got a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior or 28i Junior - not sure which as the manual is for both, I can't see it written on the boiler anywhere, and it was here when we bought the house.

Anyway I noticed recently I was having to top it up quite often as the pressure kept dropping from 2bar down to 1 or lower. I assumed I had a leak and started to worry. I had a dig through the forums here and thought I'd try a different tactic.

So, while it was down to 1bar, I turned the heating on. After about 20mins, I checked the gauge - it was back up to over 2bar. It's continued the same way for 2 weeks - I've not topped it up once, and every day it sits at just below 1 bar (basically just into the red) then if I turn the heating on, it leaps up by around a bar or so (slightly more I think) comfortably into the green but it looks like a massive jump considering the scale of the gauge. Then after the heating is off, it gradually settles back down to where it started.

Any ideas what this would be? Is it going to be expensive? Is it going to have been costing me a fortune in some way or have had any detrimental effect? The heating and hot water are seemingly fine so I'm wondering where to go next, rather than just calling someone out immediately.

Any advice very much welcome.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited by Joonyer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm 

:dunno: if you are topping it up every day or two..you have a problem..

If you were to set the pressure at say 1.2 bar, run it for a few hours, and it settles on cold at the same pressure..then you have no problem..

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Joonyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi mate cheers for the quick reply

Just to clarify, I've stopped topping it up. That was my strategy initially. In the last couple of weeks though, I've not been topping it up - it sits at around 1bar, then I turn the heating on and the pressure goes up to over 2 bar. I turn the heating off, and it drops back down.

If I top the boiler up when it's off (while at 1 bar) to say, 2 bar, then run the heating - the next day it's back down to 1 bar again. So could it be that it's overflowing when I top it up?

I just can't understand why it keeps going up when on, and down when off. Is there some sort of diaphram thing that could be knackered? I don't think it's a leak, because as I say, I've not topped it up for 2 weeks now and it's not gone any lower than 1 bar when off.

ta
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 pm 

Check the pressure relief pipe stick through the wall for drips when the heating is on.

Sounds like an expansion vessel problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:19 pm 

i dont think there is a problem

just leave it on 1 bar when cold

For this message the author LordCross has received gratitude : Joonyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 pm 

LordCross wrote:
i dont think there is a problem

just leave it on 1 bar when cold

When you think about it you are probably right.

The pressure will rise when the heating is on and drop as it cools.

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Joonyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 pm 

As Scruff said earlier sounds like a flat expansion vessel.

thescruff wrote:
Most likely the expansion vessel.

Give the valve on the top a quick press and see whether you get a squirt of water or air.

There's two or three videos here that will help.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/video/c ... /index.php

Check out the vids. It does need sorting firstly because the don't repressurise themselves and secondly the pressure may well rise more when it's snowing and the heatings whacked right up!

Luckily topping up the expansion vessel is really easy on a Junior :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : Joonyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Expansion vessel that's it! When I was searching the forums it was that which gave me the idea to try not topping it up (to see if the symptoms were the same), then I couldn't find the threads/links again and couldn't remember the name of that vessel.

I reckon it is that, from what the other thread says - I'll give that a go tomorrow and let you know. Thanks a million gents hugely appreciated.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 am 

Theres a few videos on how to check and top up correctly, worth watching before you start.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/video/c ... /index.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Evenin all :)

The manual I have doesn't mention the vessel anywhere. It's "User instructions and customer care guide" - I assume there's something more detailed elsewhere.

Does anyone know how I can get to my expansion vessel? I don't want to remove something and blow the house up or total the boiler. My knowledge of heating/boilers is precisely zero.

More than happy to have a go though, I'm pretty handy with other DIY and cars, it can't be that hard! There's a white round thing which looks to be a knob right at the top above the unit, where it goes outside. Is this related?

cheers
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm 

Right at the top at the back looking vertically down under the flue. You're looking for a car tyre type valve:

Here's a pic of a Junior expansion vessel that I just happened to have in the lockup taken from the same sort of viewpoint :wink:

Attachments:
greenstar exp.jpg
greenstar exp.jpg [ 94.27 KiB | Viewed 3213 times ]

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]