DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:58 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I have not been able to get hot water out of the taps for 5 mins or almost a full sink bowl for over a month now. The pressure has been at 0 for over a month and would not go increase when turning the filler key.

I have had a gas man come out yesterday who had to add a new filler pipe to the bottom of the combi boiler. This one has two black mini levers that you turn to let flow through.

The pressure now increases when you turn these. The heating is working fine, however we still have the same issue with the hot water taking ages to heat up. For some reason it seems to come out quicker if i turn the heating on, which is silly.

Also, there is no LED light showing near the tap icon on the boiler either.

The gas man did mention that the large red cylinder had water at the back (which was dripping at times), but said he would be reluctant to touch this unless it gets worse as due to the pressure being low for a long time i might have an effect on it.

Any advice on why I am still not getting hot water as quickly as thought would be appreciated. From your posts it sounds like it could be Diverter Valve, but I am by no means familiar with heating/plumbing.

Thanks Graham

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 pm 

I would have though the RGI stood in front pf it would have been the best guy to ask.

Are you say you have plenty of water, just it isn't very hot.

With the boiler pressure on 1.3bar, how high does it raise too when the boiler is working.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 am 
Gas/Heating Expert

It sounds like a diverter valve fault.

Replacing these is a difficult job.

Perhaps the gas man was cleverer than he looked and knew that but did not want to get involved.

Obviously as you leave it for a month you have little interest in your boiler working correctly but obviously it needs the expansion system sorting as well as the diverter valve.

Tony Glazier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 am 

I would advise calling Worcester in on a fixed price repair.

Sounds like the diaphragm gone, but usually you have to replace the diverter on these. b*stard job, one that I never take on either.

Expansion vessel shouldn't have water coming out of the test valve.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm 

your div valve has definitely gone, not such a bad job as some say, i do them in about 40 mins. I charge £190 to do it. if you have a prob with the expansion vessel as well then its a no brainer get worcester in. They will do both for £215. i couldn't do both jobs for that! :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]