DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:49 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: wiring a 3 gang switch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:31 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys,

I have just read this wiring-3-gang-switch-t21907.html

And i have the same problem, although i have also a 2 gang switch on the landing. I have connected as images on like above but stii have 3 wires left!!

Am i doing this right?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 am 

Simple answer if you have three wires left is "No".

With a ganged switch each switch in the gang "should" be independently wired. One cable to each single way switch and one or two cables to each two way switch depending if first or second.

However as shown Image with this picture from link you have given it is all too common for electricians in the past to wire two way switches using twin and earth strappers rather than triple and earth strappers and borrow a line wire off another switch. Since 2008 when regulations changed this has caused a lot of problems.

If there were no links originally then it should be reasonably straight forward. With switch on left 4, 8 and 9 is one switch, and you can plainly see how the three switches are arranged side by side. With switch on right 1, 5, 6 is switch one, 2, 3, 7, is switch two and 4, 8, 9 switch three. There "should" not be any cable which has wires going to more than one switch.

The wire colours and arrangement shown on switch to right is unusual and although maybe correct for that installation would not normally be found looking like that. The switch one and two are wired single way and three is wired as a two way switch.

This is a general diagram Image on how house lights are wired.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your reply, i need 2 switchesto be 2 way and the outside light to be one way of course, i have all the wires shown, and an aditional 3 which are 2 red and one yellow!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 pm 

If you look at my diagram for the two way switches one have 5 wires the other has three. So counting cables one has two cables the other has one.

The colours should be all red but in the real world we use red and black for switch to lamp and red yellow blue between switches but since they all should be red the colours mean nothing there is no standard.

For one way switching the two wires go either end of switch normally one is marked com the other S1 but not all switches have same markings.

For two way the two wires red and black go to S1 and S2 and not to com and the three wires go to same terminals in both switches of the pair.