DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wireless extender
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm 

My wife is having problems connecting wirelessly with our router, even though I have moved the router closer, we have two brick walls between the router and where she uses her Ipad, I have no problem with my Lappy.

I have considered the long time solution would be a Cat5e or 6 network, however to extend our present range I have considered a Wireless extender.

I have tried explaining that the problem could just be network capacity and we are a long way from the exchange ::b

Any one any suggestions I can do for less than 50p, oh go on make it £50.

John

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

Post subject: Re: Wireless extender
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 pm 
Pro Carpenter

many a cheap solution :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... XqSco_nWZo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 pm 

Network capacity or distance to the exchange isn't relevant when the signal emanates from your wi-fi router. The problem is antenna orientation - the laptop antenna is usually upright (in the lid) whilst the iPad can be anywhere from horizontal to vertical.

If there is a signal strength monitoring function on the iPad (should be as part of the wi-fi setup) then try watching it as the pad is moved position - THEN thumb your nose at her...... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm 

I would be looking at installing a Wireless access point in the room your wife is struggling for signal with the iPad.

But to do this you will need to run a length of Cat5e from the current router to the new access point ideally. Or you could go with using power adapters to do it.

An alternative, is to use one of the wireless access points that connect to your current wireless point via wireless then broadcast their own signal and you could place this half way between your current router and your problem area if you don't want to run cables etc.

However, before you go spend any of your hard earned...download a program called InSSIDer. It will let you see if your signal is being degraded by other wireless networks from neighbours etc all fighting for the same channel and therefore decreasing their amplitude. You may get away with a free solution of changing the wireless channel on your current router.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:00 pm 

If you have a look at my thread ( help-setting-up-a-range-extender-box-t58034.html ) about a bleeding wireless extender you will not bother. Kelly recommended the Ethernet connections that use the mains wiring. A three pin type plug by the router and one near the PC and two Ethernet cables to connect at either end which is teh easiest way to go. £30 on Amazon.

By the way, I still have not got the f****** going but after seeing what was on offer on Sky Anytime + when my son wired his Sky box up to his router I do not think I will bother now ::b

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 pm 

The issue then is the fact the iPad really needs a usable wi-fi signal in the room to get online. I'm not an apple expert (I dodge them where I can :lol: ) but as far as I am aware they don't come out the box with an RJ-45 ethernet port so need wi-fi provisioning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

Ahhh.... I did not clock that it was an Ipad. Anyway, good luck if you go down the wireless extender route John.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

I've moved the router closer and higher and get decent reception in the study for my desktop and the lounge where I use my Lappy and where WMBO uses her Ipad :thumbleft:

I have considered routing Cat 6 cable through the house sometime in the future, but according to the BT website we should be getting BT Infinity here soon.

I'll be back to ask about Infinity a bit closer :wink:

We had Cable at our last place 20 years ago none out here, yet we're only 3 miles from Fareham and a growing community.

Eee lad, it were nowt but farms when we moved in, nice smells :lol:

John

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]