DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

I have an old metal up and over garage door. At the point where the up and over support arm hinge attaches to the garage door via a bracket and small stress crack has appeared on the door itself. This is a common fatigue failure with this garage door type (Henderson, Merlin)

This is at the moment a small crack, however the door under goes a lot of stress (shear?) at this point. My idea to re-enforce it, before it becomes any worse, is to fill the crack as much as possible with some epoxy filler (JDWELD?) and then place a strip of metal of over it (hinge plate) perhaps allowing the epoxy to fill the hinge holes and securely hold the plate.

Then I would rivet the hinge plate so that it was very securely held in place over the weak area.

Does this sound like a good repair?

If so, what type of rivet is best to use? I also head that using a washer behind the rivet gives extra support? Is this correct?

Many Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 am 

As I understand it, rivets are only used when you can't access both sides. (or for cheapness)
So I would ask, have your not considered nuts and bolts, something like (my old favourite) 6mm gutter bolts?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:49 am 
Newly registered Member

That is an interesting one. I was considering nuts and bolts but I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that lots of small rivets were a more secure option and neater. I thought that drilling a larger hole in what is thin galvanised steel would make it even more weak.

Something to consider though.

If only I had a welder.....I think that is probably the best long term solution.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 am 

Pop rivets would be the ones, 4.8mm by something like 12mm long would do depending on the thickness of materials, a washer is not needed if the hole is the right size and material is thick enough. Be warned cheap pop rivet guns are not worth it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:56 pm 

Is it just the sheet metal panel that's cracked, or is the frame (I assume there is one) cracked as well?
Anyway I mended our old garage door with pieces of steel sheet bolted (with gutter bolts as suggested) on behind.
Pop rivets come with various heads and diameters and the grip length (ie the thickness of material they will join) is given on the pack if you look. Drilling a small hole at the end of a crack can stop it "running" any further.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]