It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: which is most efficient?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm 

would anyone happen to know which is most energy efficient:
- electric fan heater
- electric oil radiator
- electric halogen heater
with the cold weather i've got all three at home in diff rooms, someone told me i'm better off using the central heating more as electric solutions are expensive & not efficient

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 pm 

If you have central heating then this would be the most economical in my opinion. I think it is best to leave the system on 24/7 during this cold weather and just put the thermostat down a little at night. This way the fabric of the house wil warm up and this helps maintain an evenn temperature. Of course this will depend on the level of insulation and double glazing you have.

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 pm 

Use your central heating system, the portable electric heaters are all more expensive to run, and less safe where people are moving about.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 pm 

All electric heaters are around 98% efficient - the only problem being is that they are horrendously EXPENSIVE to run.

If you want 'spot heating' then I'd suggest a fan heater used sparingly!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:52 pm 

zahmed wrote:
- electric fan heater
- electric oil radiator
with the cold weather i've got all three at home in diff rooms, someone told me i'm better off using the central heating more as electric solutions are expensive & not efficient

In terms of bang for your buck you're generally better off using your central heating and ensuring that the temperature difference within the house is not too great.

Too big a temperature difference between adjacent rooms tends to lead to draughts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:11 am 
Pro Carpenter

a unit off gas although only around 75 percent efficient is around 1/3 the cost so less than 1/2 the price off electric so to warm the room with electric may cost 20p an hour with gas will be 8 or 9p an hour

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:36 am 
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

zahmed wrote:
- electric fan heater
- electric oil radiator

It depends on when and how you want to use the heat.

If you want to heat the room fast but only for an hour or so and not the rest of the house, then an electric fan heater is probably the most efficient and central heating the least. A kitchen/diner is the sort of room where this heating may be appropriate.

If you want to heat people rather than the room, fast and for a short period, then the halogen heater is probably the most efficient. A bathroom and a conservatory would be the place for this.

The electric oil filled radiator comes into its own for a small flat heated for an evening.

Using gas central heating in these situations is inefficient. The 75% efficiency someone quoted is too high for any of the above situations. There is the warm-up time to heat the water in the pipes and radiators, the heat loss from pipes not in the room where heat is required the cost of electricity to run the circulating pump and electrically operated valves.

For whole-house heating over several hours a day, gas central heating is the answer. Pipe and radiator heat-up time becomes a gain rather than a loss; heat losses from pipes help to heat the house, so are no longer a loss.

An alternative to gas central heating and costing much the same to run is electric heat pump central heating, although this has a capital cost disadvantage. That's over 300% efficient, that is, 1 kW of electricity produces more than 3 kW of heat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 am 

Heat pumps in whatever form are the most efficient means of electric heating but consideration must be made to air source not working when the weather is like it is at the moment. The AC unit in my office is spending a lot of time trying to defrost the outside unit with little sucess, with -2 and less outside and RH of 85+% itsnot supprising though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm 

Sparky James wrote:
Heat pumps in whatever form are the most efficient means of electric heating but consideration must be made to air source not working when the weather is like it is at the moment.

Not true.

The home/office I'm typing this in is heated with an air source heat pump. It's 25 deg C in here. (I like it warm) :mrgreen:

If yours isn't working, it needs to be maintained.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 pm 
Pro Carpenter

Stoday wrote:
zahmed wrote:
- electric fan heater
- electric oil radiator

It depends on when and how you want to use the heat.

If you want to heat the room fast but only for an hour or so and not the rest of the house, then an electric fan heater is probably the most efficient and central heating the least. A kitchen/diner is the sort of room where this heating may be appropriate.

If you want to heat people rather than the room, fast and for a short period, then the halogen heater is probably the most efficient. A bathroom and a conservatory would be the place for this.

The electric oil filled radiator comes into its own for a small flat heated for an evening.

Using gas central heating in these situations is inefficient. The 75% efficiency someone quoted is too high for any of the above situations. There is the warm-up time to heat the water in the pipes and radiators, the heat loss from pipes not in the room where heat is required the cost of electricity to run the circulating pump and electrically operated valves.

For whole-house heating over several hours a day, gas central heating is the answer. Pipe and radiator heat-up time becomes a gain rather than a loss; heat losses from pipes help to heat the house, so are no longer a loss.

An alternative to gas central heating and costing much the same to run is electric heat pump central heating, although this has a capital cost disadvantage. That's over 300% efficient, that is, 1 kW of electricity produces more than 3 kW of heat.

whilst i would agree if he means to heat a restricted area the efficiency will drop
indeed heat will be disributed to parts you wish not to heat putting asside the boiler losses already mentioned in general only heat leaking from pipes under the floor is actually wasted

any way my interpritation is he is burning 3 heaters in different rooms to warm the place up so actual costs will be nearer my estimation
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:58 pm 

Stoday wrote:
Sparky James wrote:
Heat pumps in whatever form are the most efficient means of electric heating but consideration must be made to air source not working when the weather is like it is at the moment.

Not true.

The home/office I'm typing this in is heated with an air source heat pump. It's 25 deg C in here. (I like it warm) :mrgreen:

If yours isn't working, it needs to be maintained.

Mine and lots of other systems in my area, some only recently installed by proper fridge firms.

Mabe yours has electric defrost on the outside coils rather than hot gas, but the electric defrost drops the efficiency dramatically.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 am 

My outdoor unit is a Daiken RXYSQ5P7V3B which has a defrost cycle taking a maximum of 10 minutes in defrost mode. The manufacturer says that it operates in heating mode with an outside temperature down to minus 20°C wet bulb. Click & goto P5

I can't believe that a competent refrigeration engineering firm would install a cooling & heating system that can't heat when it's most wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm 

Manufacturers claims and what works in the real world can be two different things....-20 at what RH? The fridge gas may work to -20 but how do the coils keep clear? electric def heaters like a commercial coldroom? sort of takes the shine off the energy saving with a hoofing great heater cycling on periodically defrosting a outdoor unit.

There some people will believe anything manufacturers way :boxing:

My AC unit which is fully serviced and full of the right gas was working today but needed to defrost on a regular interval and the condensate drain was frozen solid. Fujitsu Inverter split running the latest gas (newest model last year). :B

A good freind of mine the the area sales manager for Daiken BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:11 pm 

Yes you will loose some efficiency with lower temperatures with a heat pump, that stands to reason, but it will never be below a COP of 1.

They work by harvesting heat into the gas and compressing it, and can do this at any temperature above absolute freezing which is -320c ish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm 

thescruff wrote:
Yes you will loose some efficiency with lower temperatures with a heat pump, that stands to reason, but it will never be below a COP of 1.

They work by harvesting heat into the gas and compressing it, and can do this at any temperature above absolute freezing which is -320c ish.

Quite..... but when the outside evaporator coil is a block of ice they struggle and pump a lot of energy into getting rid of the said ice either by electric heating elements or reversing the cycle and producing heat for the iced up coil by cooling the room they are ment to be heating.

Iam a lover of heatpumps but they are limited when it is cold outside.