DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm 

Based on running the OS on identical machines, which would be faster, Win7 or Win10?

The base machine is a dual core E5300, 2.6GHz and 1600MHz bus with 4Gb RAM (a scrap machine with no other purpose so ripe for playing with....)

It currently has an unused Win10 installed but I have a Win7 Pro package I could fit - and I'm happy with Win7 on my other machines but would consider keeping Win10 just to get familiarisation.

But the general question is whether Win7 or Win10 is faster?????

Anyone?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm 

4gb ram is borderline on both 7 and 10 both will load the cpu and hdd as its using the hdd as a swap disk - 10 is more stable and less resource hungry than 7 even was

It may make a useful Linux box if your into that sort of thing

Do you know what ram inc spec is in the machine ? I may have some spare in my box of parts if needed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hmmm, the RAM isn't as good as it could be, that's for sure. It has two sticks of 1Gb and one stick of 2Gb but DDR3 :roll: so that certainly one area it could do with assistance.

Linux was a consideration but since I already have a lapdog running Ubuntu I was working on setting this one up as a Windows machine for my workshop - some light Google Sketchup, PCB design, Electronic Sim and PIC programming task mainly.

TBH I failed to notice that this PC was 64-bit capable :lol: so that opens it up to a bit more usefulness than I originally imagined!

It has 1Tb (SATA) and 250Gb (IDE) HDDs fitted so could even make a decent server based system.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

I'd add extra RAM and an SSD to run Win 10 on. Wouldn't be that expensive and can be used for any upgrade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 pm 

The machine was donated to me for recycling (non working at that time) and not really worth spending a lot on it but, then again, I have no real (comparative) idea as to how fast or useful it could be if time, money and effort were spent on it.

I fixed a re-booting issue (poor processor heat sink compound and same again when the graphics card wasn't recognised) before wiping the HDDs - and without looking at the contents too! - ready for whatever OS suits. The PSU also needed a new capacitor in the 5V STBY circuit as it wouldn't even switch on at first.

It's one of those 'see what you can screw out of it with what you've got' moments - on the understanding that any real expense would be better off going towards something more up-to-date.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 pm 

I have enough parts on the shelf to build something up, tbh I cant be bothered these days, and no real use for yet another pc

A few years ago I had boxes of pc hardware most of it went for recycling, as you do you end up with more

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:57 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Bob225 wrote:
I have enough parts on the shelf to build something up, tbh I cant be bothered these days, and no real use for yet another pc

A few years ago I had boxes of pc hardware most of it went for recycling, as you do you end up with more

apart from RAM and an SSD I see no value really in upgrading PC's.

I use to do it a lot in the past but just not cost effective now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 pm 

when I upgraded current laptop from w7 to w10 the boot time was noticeably quicker. That's all I know.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 pm 

DIY_Johnny wrote:

apart from RAM and an SSD I see no value really in upgrading PC's.

I agree completely but even the cost of RAM and an SSD would make any upgrade too costly (middle name = tightarse)! I'll be having a scrounge around my parts bin and see what I can find to make improvements otherwise just go with what's fitted and see how that pans out.

Looking more like it will end up as a 64-bit Linux box....