DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

Those liquorice sticks that looked like twigs.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Gadget has received gratitude : EJJ150847
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:03 pm 

Gadget wrote:

Afaik they looked like twigs cos they were: underground twigs, i.e. roots

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : EJJ150847
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

We used to chew them for so long they were totally tasteless by the time we were finished... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

And still available it seems,
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/p ... Aj2A8P8HAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm 

Grendel wrote:
What we no longer see ( well I don't see in regards to other people :oops: )
Slotted steel screws ,
Sharpenable non hardpoint screws ,
Pump action screwdrivers ( they were the dog's when I started work but I can't remember the last one I saw)
Bike clips for the ends of your trousers,
Brown paper bags,
Sideboards,
China cabinets ,
Big wide champagne glasses ...

I've just been sorting through some of the stuff we packed up when we moved house 18 months ago ( I know, but it takes time to find a place for everything) and I found my pump action screwdriver minus the pozi screw bit .
And the best bit, it still works!! :thumbright:
Happy days

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:25 pm 

London mike 61 wrote:
I've just been sorting through some of the stuff we packed up when we moved house 18 months ago ( I know, but it takes time to find a place for everything) and I found my pump action screwdriver minus the pozi screw bit .
Happy days

Mike

One thing about the old pump actions drivers was you never had to worry about the battery going flat.
Although once or twice it's felt like it when I've had a lot of big screws to put in! :lol:

Still got mine as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

London mike 61 wrote:
Grendel wrote:
What we no longer see ( well I don't see in regards to other people :oops: )
Slotted steel screws ,
Sharpenable non hardpoint screws ,
Pump action screwdrivers ( they were the dog's when I started work but I can't remember the last one I saw)
Bike clips for the ends of your trousers,
Brown paper bags,
Sideboards,
China cabinets ,
Big wide champagne glasses ...

Happy days

Mike

Ah the good old Stanley Yankee you can still buy them and the bits but iirc the stopped making them in 2007-8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm 

I haven't worked on a "proper" site for several years now which might explain why I haven't really seen one for a while and even when I was on site they had become increasingly rare. I now only have my medium size one that I use my larger one having stopped working properly in that it slips rather than turns when pushed :cb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 pm 

"I haven't worked on a "proper" site for several years now which might explain why I haven't really seen one for a while and even when I was on site they had become increasingly rare. I now only have my medium size one that I use my larger one having stopped working properly in that it slips rather than turns when pushed :cb "

I still have mine, although I too have not used it for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm 

Caddy-Matic loose tea dispenser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm 

Squirty sauce plastic tomato, and the brown one. (I think there was an orange one too)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm 

.........Going into a factory toilet and you wash your hands in a big round "communal" sink. (Big round thing with a pillar in the centre and either several taps or spouts. I seem to think one place had a "wheel" on the floor that went around the central support and to operate the water outlet you tread on the "wheel)

Does any one remember such a thing?

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 pm 

joinerjohn wrote:
Filling up the hot water bottle on a clod winters night. :wink:

Still do that - we don't have central heating, but we have a far fewer colds each year as a result, I feel These days, though, we have sufficient air circulation and insulation not to have wringing wet walls every winter's morning (or the attendant black mould)

Morbius wrote:
Local shops on every other street.

We live in a village where both our local shop, the chippie and the sub-post office have survived, although we did lose our petrol station about 20 years ago and we're now down to just two pubs these day (was 5 some 20 years back)

We no longer get doorstep milk delivery but at leat the local shop still sells milkman's orange - in pint bottles (now there's nostalgia!)

dewaltdisney wrote:
Cleveland Discol petrol. When I was a lad I worked cleaning cars and pumping gas (hmm a snappy line for a song) It was a National Benzole garage, that has gone.

Or for that matter Mobil stations with their big red winged Pegasus logo. No such thing as an independant petrol supplier like Gainsborough these days, either. Anyone remember the petrol pumps mounted on the wall of the garage building with big glass 1 gallon measure containers and a long arm which swung out across the pavement and from which hung the rubber delivery hose and brass nozzle? The village I grew up in still had one of those in the late 1950s, although granted the garage was a converted farm barn

And whilst on the subject of motoring, it's been years since I saw a garage which had a Land-Rover or ex-army bonneted Bedford with the ubiquitous hand-cranked Harvey-Frost crane mounted on the rear (and an orange Tangye-Epco trolley jack stowed in the back)

Timllfixit wrote:
That toilet paper that used to be like tracing paper in council bogs. Council bogs for that matter.

That takes me back - I had a job at the old BT HQ building in London in the mid-80s - every sheet of Izal (the brand) was printed with the words, "Property of H M Post Master General". I kid you not! We used to take in our own toilet rolls or it was murder on the piles

ayjay wrote:
Loose butter - patted into shape with two wooden paddles and wrapped in greaseproof paper.

The local Liptons in Lanark used to do it that way in the early 1960s - it brings back memories of the smells of various shops at the time: Lipons smelled of roasting coffee and bacon, the ironmongers smelled of paraffin (which everyone used) and beeswax and had sawdust on the planked floor, as did most of the butchers shops, although they always smelled of either the half lamb or half steer which would be hanging on a rail on the wall at the back of the shop, Woolworths always smelled of roasting cashews to me - sold hot and salted by the ounce from a counter near the middle near the pick and mix (two ounces was my mother's Saturday treat). Does anyone else remember cheap cream cakes after 3pm on a Saturday when the bakers wanted to sell-off overstock so they could close-up for the week?

Dave54 wrote:
Proper ironmonger's shops. With a lots of little drawers on the wall behind the counter.
The last one I knew of hasn't long shut down here. Sad to see that go.

Did yours have the little old lady sitting in a wood and glass booth? You'd get your goods (wrapped in brown paper or in stout brown kraft paper bags. of coarse) and a "chitty" and be trusted to take it to the cashier on your way out to pay for your goods. Last shop we had like that where I live now closed 20-odd years back, sadly. The amazing thing was that every part of the shop smelled different with areas smelling of beeswax, oil, pine (he sold a bit of timber as well), lavender (furniture polish), etc

steviejoiner74 wrote:
One of the chippys in my town still serves fish and chips etc in paper. Hate the boxes you usually get nowadays.

Good for him. Do you take your own newspaper, like we used to? Or does he send a lad round with a hand cart to collect them? More to the point does he still fry in dripping or lard? Bad for the arteries but tastes fantastic - and the smell of a chip van frying on Kylie dripping is something to be experienced. I believe that they still do quite a lot of their chips that way in Ireland, even today

Gadget wrote:

I still buy liquorice root from the health foods shop in the next town. At one time every Boots sold them

Other memories for me includes the weekly vans, or more often time-expired coaches with wheezy petrol engines (groceroes, butchers, fish, chippie, etc), which cam to our hamlet in the days before we had a local shop (this was late 1950s). there was still a costermonger's van (actually a converted 29-seater coach) working the outer hamlets up here until the mid-1990s.

Or how about the once a week market bus service we had on a Friday (we lived a biyt off the beaten track).

Anyone else old enough to remember somebody coming to the door to tell you that your aunt Nancy was ringing you on the one and only phone in the hamlet - the public call box?

This all makes me realise that I'm perhaps gettinbg a bit old

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:59 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
Anyone else old enough to remember somebody coming to the door to tell you that your aunt Nancy was ringing you on the one and only phone in the hamlet - the public call box?

Being born in London I've not experienced that, but we had a "party line" when i was a nipper - a party line was a telephone line shared with another house, (but different numbers), if the other party was on the phone when you picked it up to make a call you could listen in to their conversation.

Hello Christine Johnston!! :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 pm 

someone-else wrote:
.........Going into a factory toilet and you wash your hands in a big round "communal" sink. (Big round thing with a pillar in the centre and either several taps or spouts. I seem to think one place had a "wheel" on the floor that went around the central support and to operate the water outlet you tread on the "wheel)

Does any one remember such a thing?

I don't believe what I saw.........

Attachment:
sink.jpg
sink.jpg [ 254.22 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]

No wheel on the floor, but its a communal sink, its in a big building that is now lots of different companies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7