DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: What wall plugs?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Before I begin, let me start by saying that I am completely useless at DIY. Everything I attempt to do goes horrifically wrong so I need more help than the average Jo.

I'm decorating the boys bedroom and need to hang the 32inch TV on the wall. I have the bracket already but the wall that I'm drilling in to is a hollow 4inch wall which seems to be built with a very slim brick. I have bought M4 anchor wall plugs but am not sure if these are the correct fixings to use. I have hung the TV on the wall with success, but one anchor plug moves around in the wall, and when trying to tighten it, it just moves deeper.

Also drilling... why is it that when I'm attempting to drill, the masonary bit slips against the brick behind the plaster, creating not a nice neat hole, but a line in the plaster. What am I doing wrong? What can I use to stop the drill bit from penatrating the gap on the wall resulting in the bit of the drill that clamps the bit in place hitting the plaster creating a bigger hole that I want in the plaster? And why is it that when I measure holes that need to be drilled, measure and and again one more time to make sure everything is going to be straight, when the job is done, it seems more pissed than Paul Gascoigne?

Laugh by all means, I am not and have never been a DIY man and deserve being ripped, but please someone help me with some good advice.

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: What wall plugs?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 pm 

Hello Jimmy
Probably need a bit more information
What type of drill are you using, is it on hammer action and what speed is it running at
I take it you are sure its a masonary drill bit, if it is how old is, it is it a new one or a knackered one.

You say it is a hollow wall built with 4" brick, is it a cavity wall made of brick . Have you checked that you aren't hitting concrete/steel or engineering bricks or similar under where you are drilling. Usually masonary drills go through brick easy

It could be sliding off of metal cable conduit or gas or water pipe so you sure that you aren't hitting those

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 am 

i bet its a house with the upstairs walls made out of those damn spanish brick things. where the wall is bult with hollow clay brick things.... they have a bout a 20mm thick side to each block. seems to be very common in 50's- 60's council houses.

theyre a b*stard to hang anything on to be fair

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

boxedin wrote:
Hello Jimmy
What type of drill are you using, is it on hammer action and what speed is it running at
I take it you are sure its a masonary drill bit, if it is how old is, it is it a new one or a knackered one.

You say it is a hollow wall built with 4" brick, is it a cavity wall made of brick . Have you checked that you aren't hitting concrete/steel or engineering bricks or similar under where you are drilling. Usually masonary drills go through brick easy

It could be sliding off of metal cable conduit or gas or water pipe so you sure that you aren't hitting those

I'm using a black and decker hammer drill but in all fairness, it's a good few years old, so are the bits I'm using, but the 8mm bit has never been used before, B&Q brand. The wall is definitely a brick wall with a cavity, but there seems to be a good half inch of plaster covering it which just crumbles when I try inserting a wall plug.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

fin wrote:
i bet its a house with the upstairs walls made out of those damn spanish brick things. where the wall is bult with hollow clay brick things.... they have a bout a 20mm thick side to each block. seems to be very common in 50's- 60's council houses.

theyre a b*stard to hang anything on to be fair

You're right about the build. It's a 70's ground floor flat. The bricks that I have seem to match what you're explaining. Would anchor plugs we the right ones to use or are there other options out there which are specifically for these types of walls?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 pm 

Jimmie1978 wrote:
boxedin wrote:
Hello Jimmy

I'm using a black and decker hammer drill but in all fairness, it's a good few years old, so are the bits I'm using, but the 8mm bit has never been used before, B&Q brand. The wall is definitely a brick wall with a cavity, but there seems to be a good half inch of plaster covering it which just crumbles when I try inserting a wall plug.

You say that you are using a 8mm bit, well the right size drill bit for a brown wall plug is 7mm so that is probably why the plugs are turning in the hole.
One way to get a secure fixing is to get a piece of 18mm ply and drill several holes for fixings around the board then screw the board to the wall using the correct size plugs and screws then fix the tv bracket to the ply board. This will spread the weight of the TVs over a greater area and the board can be hidden by the telly and painted if necessary.

Mike

For this message the author London mike 61 has received thanks - 2: Fancy_Dan, multiman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 pm 

This https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8 is the sort of set up I think would be best for you.

Mike

For this message the author London mike 61 has received gratitude : Jimmie1978
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

I use these bad boys! My utility cupboards are held up by these, although I think mine were the red ones. My TVs are all held up by these too

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-blue-p ... Gwod2DUEhA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this message the author lee.beresford84 has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm 

If the bricks are those horrible hollow things, the best fixing will be a cavity anchor.

Standard nylon plugs are of very little use at all unless you can guarantee exactly where you are drilling, and even then, for a TV bracket you'll probably only have the odd fixing in the right place.

It's difficult to give sound advice without knowing more of the wall's construction.

Hollow Brick.
Attachment:
hollow brick.jpg
hollow brick.jpg [ 15.12 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:47 am 
BANNED

Another trick for hollow cavity walls is to use long drill tip and drill into brick wall then using screw/bolt I place plug onto screw / bolt and turn one or two turns then using hammer I tap into wall and tighten up.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:03 pm 

ayjay wrote:
If the bricks are those horrible hollow things, the best fixing will be a cavity anchor.

Standard nylon plugs are of very little use at all unless you can guarantee exactly where you are drilling, and even then, for a TV bracket you'll probably only have the odd fixing in the right place.

It's difficult to give sound advice without knowing more of the wall's construction.

Hollow Brick.
Attachment:
hollow brick.jpg

thats what i mean by those stupid spanish brick things. propper pain when ya gotta fit door frames to walls built with them. bloody things should be banned :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : multiman