DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

I want to refresh the wooden floor in the upstairs bedroom of my 1920s semi detached house, remove the carpets and repair and sand the floorboards. I've just pulled up the carpets and have an issue where the fireplace and chimney used to be. In front of the old fireplace was a stone or concrete slab. Where the fireplace was is a hole that's been filled with what seems to be MDF or chipboard. The whole lot has been concreted into place (see photo).

So I figure I need to lift the slabs out to see what's underneath and if the situation is a simple case of getting rid of what's there and laying new floorboards. However, as its concreted in, once I pull it out I'm committed to doing some sort of repair with it (backout plan of carpeting the room instead is shot at that point, would at least need to re-concrete it before doing so).

Any advice or guidance on what to do here, or previous experience of these things? What would you do in this situation? Is any of this likely to end up with expensive repairs if I do the wrong thing? Anything else I could do with the floor that might look good for less effort/risk?

Many thanks in advance for any responses!

Attachment:
IMG_1207[1].JPG
IMG_1207[1].JPG [ 109.78 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_1208[1].JPG
IMG_1208[1].JPG [ 106.7 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

Hi

The constructional hearth in front of the fireplace is just poured into a shallow wooden tray in the thickness of the floor, this will easily come out.

Like you said, it really is a simple as taking out what id there and laying floorboards over. Take the timber board up over the fireplace you can lay new floorboards over the top. We don't know if the chimney breast is still in in the room below, but actually it doesn't really affect what you want to do.

http://www.marcuswhitehead.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/joinerbuilder

For this message the author marcusjkw has received gratitude : Prometheus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Marcus, that's enough to give me the confidence to give it a go! There chimney stack has been removed from the room below also.

I'm going to finish all the wall/ceiling painting before creating a hole in the floor, but once done I'll get that stuff up and post a few pictures of what's underneath + finished job if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am 

You'll almost certainly have to put a bit of joisting in the hole.

I can't remember ever pulling one of these out without having to do a bit of work to the hole before boarding it over.

Nothing complicated required, just cut to length and fix with 4" galvanised nails, (this was always good enough before Jiffy hangers were invented).

Quote:
I'm going to finish all the wall/ceiling painting before creating a hole in the floor

If that includes below the fireplace, then I'd do the fireplace before I finished the ceiling below - you never know what's going to happen once you start pulling things apart.

That pretty much applies anywhere with any renovations: demolition first.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Prometheus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks ayjay, no work planned in the room below at present.

I guess I was planning on replacing the full length of floorboards where they are cut off at the fireplace (its not a particularly wide room) but its good to know there's alternatives such as what you suggested, which may save me a bit of work, and also good to learn what a jiffy hanger is :mrgreen: