DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 am
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 3139
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 683 times
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:

The shower design itself though left a fair bit to be desired.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 3773
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 714 times
Been thanked: 795 times
You get what you pay for (or your customer in this instance)?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2709
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 544 times
I have always had mira showers all the parts seem good quality for a reasonable price, on the other hand triton put out some dross

you know its high end when in comes in a padded case with white cotton gloves and the head and hose have there own velvet bags


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 10001
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 1768 times
Bob225 wrote:

you know its high end when in comes in a padded case with white cotton gloves and the head and hose have there own velvet bags

Mine came in an Asda bag and I had to source the head/hose separately!

_________________
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:08 pm
Posts: 1249
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 224 times
Rorschach wrote:
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:
.


Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3607
Has thanked: 1119 times
Been thanked: 1034 times
Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:
.


Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...


Ah those "special steel" screws.
Softer than zinc alloy. Less tensile strength then a toothpick.
Somewhere there is a factory actually churning them out. :roll:
I've never bought any separately though, they always come with something.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7838
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 1445 times
I've usually found that the fixings supplied with any product are those that will suit a perfectly simple installation, once you move way from that (which is surely the norm), you have to supply your own.

On the subject of crap screws etc, I was once supplied with a large bag of ringshank nails to put down the ply on a flat roof. Holding the nail between finger and thumb to give it an initial starting tap, at least 40% of the nails were breaking up, there were large hollow portions of the nails with no apparent rhyme or reason as to where that hollow part would be. :shock:

I deemed this to be dangerous to my personal health and welfare, as a slightly harder tap could see the top half of the nail being driven through my finger or thumb. I threw the lot in the skip and went and bought some proper ones.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3607
Has thanked: 1119 times
Been thanked: 1034 times
When was that ayjay? Sometime around the 70s-80s?
There was some right rubbish about back then.
I remember buying a tub of nails somewhere, and the guy assuring me (without me asking) that they were good quality.
I've got some Far Eastern chisels somewhere I was bought way back. They're mild steel. They didn't look bad until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 10001
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 1768 times
Dave54 wrote:
until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!

Makes you wonder what the Chinese are capable of 'falsifying' these days.

You can purchase wire from them that is often copper-coated aluminium or, if you are not careful, just plain aluminium! Might be ok for some applications but when you want to solder it........ :?

And have you seen the quality of their mains leads!!! :shock:

_________________
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7838
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 1445 times
Dave54 wrote:
When was that ayjay? Sometime around the 70s-80s?


it has to have been either the late 90s or more likely the early noughties. They were a strange company I was subbing to at the time, all very dedicated God Botherers, (a more extreme offshoot from the Plymouth Brethren), the father and four sons ran the company, one son was a complete arsewipe and it was he that supplied the nails, always trying to save a few coppers, he wasn't impressed when I gave him the invoice for the new ones, :lol: but I did save a few of the crap ones for him as proof.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3607
Has thanked: 1119 times
Been thanked: 1034 times
kellys_eye wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!

Makes you wonder what the Chinese are capable of 'falsifying' these days.

You can purchase wire from them that is often copper-coated aluminium or, if you are not careful, just plain aluminium! Might be ok for some applications but when you want to solder it........ :?

And have you seen the quality of their mains leads!!! :shock:


Tools do seem to have got better. These were the common set of chisels you'd see in cheap shops at the time. I was doing some work for MIL, and she saw the chisels somewhere when she was out and bought them for me.
The thought was a good one!

Mains leads are dire. Quite expensive battery charger stopped working here after a short time.
It was the plug in mains lead. Really thin nasty wire. Fitted with a 13A fuse as well when I looked.

As an aside, we were shown how to solder aluminium on a cable course long ago. Big conductors, probably 100 sq mm or something. Special solder that was abrasive, and was rubbed on the work to tin it. Only seen it once. No use for small stuff though.

ayjay wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
When was that ayjay? Sometime around the 70s-80s?


it has to have been either the late 90s or more likely the early noughties. They were a strange company I was subbing to at the time, all very dedicated God Botherers, (a more extreme offshoot from the Plymouth Brethren), the father and four sons ran the company, one son was a complete arsewipe and it was he that supplied the nails, always trying to save a few coppers, he wasn't impressed when I gave him the invoice for the new ones, :lol: but I did save a few of the crap ones for him as proof.

None so strange as folk.
Cheap always comes dear. . .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:08 pm
Posts: 1249
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 224 times
Dave54 wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:
.


Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...


Ah those "special steel" screws.
Softer than zinc alloy. Less tensile strength then a toothpick.
Somewhere there is a factory actually churning them out. :roll:
I've never bought any separately though, they always come with something.


Going back a while the firm I worked for brought a load of Chinese screws , supposedly slotted but in reality more like scratched as the slot was so shallow they were impossible to screw in with anything less than a hammer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3607
Has thanked: 1119 times
Been thanked: 1034 times
Grendel wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:
.


Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...


Ah those "special steel" screws.
Softer than zinc alloy. Less tensile strength then a toothpick.
Somewhere there is a factory actually churning them out. :roll:
I've never bought any separately though, they always come with something.


Going back a while the firm I worked for brought a load of Chinese screws , supposedly slotted but in reality more like scratched as the slot was so shallow they were impossible to screw in with anything less than a hammer.

I've been taking out some "raised heads" that are just like that. You can get most of them started with a decent screwdriver, but then it's down to mole grips once there's enough to grip.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7838
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 1445 times
Grendel wrote:

Going back a while the firm I worked for brought a load of Chinese screws , supposedly slotted but in reality more like scratched as the slot was so shallow they were impossible to screw in with anything less than a hammer.


I can remember getting quite a lot of brass screws like that for a time, I was told that they came from India. They were pretty useless wherever they came from.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO