DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am 

I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:

The shower design itself though left a fair bit to be desired.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm 

You get what you pay for (or your customer in this instance)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm 

I have always had mira showers all the parts seem good quality for a reasonable price, on the other hand triton put out some dross

you know its high end when in comes in a padded case with white cotton gloves and the head and hose have there own velvet bags

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 pm 

Bob225 wrote:

you know its high end when in comes in a padded case with white cotton gloves and the head and hose have there own velvet bags

Mine came in an Asda bag and I had to source the head/hose separately!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 am 

Rorschach wrote:
I just don't understand. I fitted an electric shower this morning the fixings it came with were......... decent! :shock: :lol:

Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Don't worry , this week I had some blinds to put up , the plugs supplied were tiny misormed bits of plastic and the screws were small and made off cheese , normality has been resumed...

Ah those "special steel" screws.
Softer than zinc alloy. Less tensile strength then a toothpick.
Somewhere there is a factory actually churning them out. :roll:
I've never bought any separately though, they always come with something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 am 

I've usually found that the fixings supplied with any product are those that will suit a perfectly simple installation, once you move way from that (which is surely the norm), you have to supply your own.

On the subject of crap screws etc, I was once supplied with a large bag of ringshank nails to put down the ply on a flat roof. Holding the nail between finger and thumb to give it an initial starting tap, at least 40% of the nails were breaking up, there were large hollow portions of the nails with no apparent rhyme or reason as to where that hollow part would be. :shock:

I deemed this to be dangerous to my personal health and welfare, as a slightly harder tap could see the top half of the nail being driven through my finger or thumb. I threw the lot in the skip and went and bought some proper ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:02 pm 

When was that ayjay? Sometime around the 70s-80s?
There was some right rubbish about back then.
I remember buying a tub of nails somewhere, and the guy assuring me (without me asking) that they were good quality.
I've got some Far Eastern chisels somewhere I was bought way back. They're mild steel. They didn't look bad until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!

Makes you wonder what the Chinese are capable of 'falsifying' these days.

You can purchase wire from them that is often copper-coated aluminium or, if you are not careful, just plain aluminium! Might be ok for some applications but when you want to solder it........ :?

And have you seen the quality of their mains leads!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

it has to have been either the late 90s or more likely the early noughties. They were a strange company I was subbing to at the time, all very dedicated God Botherers, (a more extreme offshoot from the Plymouth Brethren), the father and four sons ran the company, one son was a complete arsewipe and it was he that supplied the nails, always trying to save a few coppers, he wasn't impressed when I gave him the invoice for the new ones, :lol: but I did save a few of the crap ones for him as proof.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
until I tried to sharpen them and use them. I thought they'd missed hardening, so tried to harden one.
It wouldn't!

Makes you wonder what the Chinese are capable of 'falsifying' these days.

You can purchase wire from them that is often copper-coated aluminium or, if you are not careful, just plain aluminium! Might be ok for some applications but when you want to solder it........ :?

And have you seen the quality of their mains leads!!! :shock:

Tools do seem to have got better. These were the common set of chisels you'd see in cheap shops at the time. I was doing some work for MIL, and she saw the chisels somewhere when she was out and bought them for me.
The thought was a good one!

Mains leads are dire. Quite expensive battery charger stopped working here after a short time.
It was the plug in mains lead. Really thin nasty wire. Fitted with a 13A fuse as well when I looked.

As an aside, we were shown how to solder aluminium on a cable course long ago. Big conductors, probably 100 sq mm or something. Special solder that was abrasive, and was rubbed on the work to tin it. Only seen it once. No use for small stuff though.

ayjay wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

it has to have been either the late 90s or more likely the early noughties. They were a strange company I was subbing to at the time, all very dedicated God Botherers, (a more extreme offshoot from the Plymouth Brethren), the father and four sons ran the company, one son was a complete arsewipe and it was he that supplied the nails, always trying to save a few coppers, he wasn't impressed when I gave him the invoice for the new ones, :lol: but I did save a few of the crap ones for him as proof.

None so strange as folk.
Cheap always comes dear. . .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 am 

Dave54 wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Going back a while the firm I worked for brought a load of Chinese screws , supposedly slotted but in reality more like scratched as the slot was so shallow they were impossible to screw in with anything less than a hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm 

Grendel wrote:
Dave54 wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Going back a while the firm I worked for brought a load of Chinese screws , supposedly slotted but in reality more like scratched as the slot was so shallow they were impossible to screw in with anything less than a hammer.

I've been taking out some "raised heads" that are just like that. You can get most of them started with a decent screwdriver, but then it's down to mole grips once there's enough to grip.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:24 pm 

Grendel wrote:

I can remember getting quite a lot of brass screws like that for a time, I was told that they came from India. They were pretty useless wherever they came from.