DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, the cupboard alone is 25kg, and the wall is breeze block with a 50mm gap (yes 50!) between that and the plasterboard. Looking for suggestions as to what fixings to use here please...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:44 pm 

If there’s a 50mm gap that suggests the wall is framed with 50mm timber battens,highly unlikely it’s dot dabbed with that sort of gap.
What you need to do is cut out sections of the plasterboard and put solid dwangs/noggins in to take the fixings for the unit.
Don’t even think about using toggles or plasterboard fixings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
If there’s a 50mm gap that suggests the wall is framed with 50mm timber battens,highly unlikely it’s dot dabbed with that sort of gap.
What you need to do is cut out sections of the plasterboard and put solid dwangs/noggins in to take the fixings for the unit.

What would you recommend I use to fix the noggins? Something like frame fixings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:05 pm 

andyste1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

What would you recommend I use to fix the noggins? Something like frame fixings?

If the wall is framed with 50mm timbers they will be at regular intervals across the wall, fix the noggins horizontally in between two adjacent uprights with ordinary wood screws.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

A 50mm gap at still be a dot n dap wall.
If it's a brick wall behind then you can use 'corefix dot and dab fixings' from HPP. Another option is to use the grip it fixings available at screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-blue- ... pack/7518j
Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm 

Manc chippy wrote:
A 50mm gap at still be a dot n dap wall.
If it's a brick wall behind then you can use 'corefix dot and dab fixings' from HPP. Another option is to use the grip it fixings available at screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-blue- ... pack/7518j
Good luck

I’m not wanting to poo-poo you’re suggestions but corefix dot and dab fixings aren’t really suitable for kitchen unit brackets as the screws need to be 20-30mm next to each other on the bracket.
And grip it fixings are in no way suitable to hang kitchen units from.
Dwangs/noggins are the way to go here.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received thanks - 2: Job and Knock, Ktuludays
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:37 am 

This article from the site owner may help you
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-t ... ng-dot-dab
http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/

Mike

For this message the author London mike 61 has received thanks - 2: Cantseeitfrommyhouse, wine~o
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 am 

As long as it's minimum 12.5mm thick wallboard in good condition you'll be fine with these...

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73656

p*ssing about with noggins is seriously overkill for something as light as a kitchen cupboard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am 

Cantseeitfrommyhouse wrote:
As long as it's minimum 12.5mm thick wallboard in good condition you'll be fine with these...

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73656

p*ssing about with noggins is seriously overkill for something as light as a kitchen cupboard.

Fill it with dog food, bottles of booze or crockery (or many other common items) and it's no longer light.

For this message the author ayjay has received thanks - 2: Dave54, steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 am 

This is one of the growing problems with this forum now,people giving out bad advice. I’m sorry but anyone endorsing putting kitchen cabinets up with plasterboard fixings doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Fill it with plates,tins etc and it’s really heavy. Take a look at the brackets they hang off....you’re relying on a board fixing 30mm of plasterboard then another board fixing. The plasterboard will fail,that’s a given.
That’s my final say on the matter.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received thanks - 2: Dave54, Job and Knock
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Personally I wouldn't hang kitchen cabinets with plasterboard fixings. Even if they don't break, they can start to loosen and pull through as I have seen in my brothers house. Problem is when you fill it to the brim with plates and start putting things on top of cabinets the weight starts to build.

I do wonder if you could use several larger frame fixings (M10 or so) and a furniture spacer (between plasterboard and wall) to hold the brackets but others can advise if suitable or not. Just a thought

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm 

The important issue here is that the cabinet might be light but it gets stuffed with heavy things so the fixing is important. I know it will be a pain to cut the plasterboard back and insert a support batten but it is the way to go. the gap is likely to be 50mm plus 12.5mm to get it level with the existing wall surface so you may have to make this width up by laminations. A good timber yard will cut it up for you.

Good luck with doing it :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 pm 

London mike 61 wrote:

:withstupid: Perfect for the job - I have put up 8 kitchen wall cabinets in a similar circumstance with them, and they are good and solid with crockery and other heavy stuff in them. Forget any plasterboard fixings.

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:20 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
This is one of the growing problems with this forum now,people giving out bad advice. I’m sorry but anyone endorsing putting kitchen cabinets up with plasterboard fixings doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Fill it with plates,tins etc and it’s really heavy. Take a look at the brackets they hang off....you’re relying on a board fixing 30mm of plasterboard then another board fixing. The plasterboard will fail,that’s a given.

Yeah; you being one of them. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 pm 

Cantseeitfrommyhouse wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Yeah; you being one of them. :roll:

Anybody advocating using toggle fixings to hang kitchen units from is a complete amateur and would be sacked on the spot if caught doing this on site. I’ve taken the bait and responded to you,you’ll feel much better now.
Please enlighten the forum and tell us what you do for a living?