DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

I know this may be down to personal preference but I was just wondering people thoughts are. Or maybe there is a rule?

I've got white interior walls with Grey anchorite windows (some upvc, some aluminium) What colour silicone do I use around the windows. Grey are white?

Attachments:
window_grey.JPG
window_grey.JPG [ 98.64 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 pm 

Don't use silicone where you might want to paint in the future, use decorators caulk (if you decide on white) or a water based frame sealant which is available in different colours, both can be painted over.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : deanomc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:44 pm 

^+1 Don't use silicone.

For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : deanomc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
Don't use silicone where you might want to paint in the future, use decorators caulk (if you decide on white) or a water based frame sealant which is available in different colours, both can be painted over.

Thanks for that. That saves me a mistake.

Something like this?

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/Adshead-ratcliffe-arbomeric-mp10-lm-modified-polymer-sealant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 pm 

Per your link, which I have not opened but reads "modified polymer sealant", products like CT1 and Soudall Fixall are much stronger than decorators caulk, and can be painted over. That's what I would use, but with care, experience & careful cleaning up to get a good final finish. As above, not silicone though.

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : deanomc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 pm 

I feel that a polymer sealant is a bit of an over-kill for just cosmetic use, decorators caulk would be fine and easier
to tool to a tidy finish but it's a problem finding one that doesn't crack when over painted* - Screwfix mighty nemesis, Dunlop or Geocel seems to be OK so I read but no personal experience and you'll get many many different opinions from nothing wrong with the 99p one to they're all crap.

*And it'll depend on what paint too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm 
Newly registered Member

As to colour. Is it a nicer finish on the eye to match the caulk/sealant to to the window frame or does everyone just use white. I want the cleanest looking finish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 am 

Your photograph does not show much (at all) why/what you need to caulk. Anyhow, are you intending to redecorate the room(s) or you just want to apply caulk?

If the grey does not exactly match your windows forget it. If you use grey, it will smear on the white walls. All in all, you need to achieve the most straight line between wall and window, and the frame of the window can give you that straight line. So white, and then you overpaint the caulk with the same paint as on the walls when you decorate. Caulk is meant to be painted unlike silicone used in bathrooms etc.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : deanomc
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 am 

I think I can see a small gap between the frame and wall but then again the frame looks brown to me...

Anyway, I had this idea ~ never tried it, don't know if it's feasible, get some water based caulk, squeeze some
out in to a dish, mix in some emulsion used on the wall (or the frame colour) and then spatula it in (or the finger), wipe down with damp cloth to make it as flush as possible.
Obviously it would be lighter shade and there might be a problem with it cracking or failing like not 'set' might take an age too, have to try it - but it's an idea...

For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 am 

Quote:
it's a problem finding one that doesn't crack when over painted

I found Polycell Decorator's Caulk to be dreadful to paint over. Evostick caulk is better but takes a while to dry properly.

I have found Wickes caulk the best so far: best for application, quick drying, and painting over.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : deanomc
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am 

jaeger wrote:
I think I can see a small gap between the frame and wall but then again the frame looks brown to me...
Very dark brown (dark chocolate colour) here, the walls anything but white, I can guess where the gap is but I have to admit I can't see it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
Your photograph does not show much (at all) why/what you need to caulk. Anyhow, are you intending to redecorate the room(s) or you just want to apply caulk?

If the grey does not exactly match your windows forget it. If you use grey, it will smear on the white walls. All in all, you need to achieve the most straight line between wall and window, and the frame of the window can give you that straight line. So white, and then you overpaint the caulk with the same paint as on the walls when you decorate. Caulk is meant to be painted unlike silicone used in bathrooms etc.

Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. The reason what I am asking it that the window was plastered up to the window which looked great when it was first done but some of the plaster has now fell out leaving a gap. I was going to fill it in with filler but I guess this will crack and fall out again in a year or so. As for decorating, yes, the room is due to be decorated.

Looks like to me that a simple caulk bead around it then a paint over.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
jaeger wrote:
Very dark brown (dark chocolate colour) here, the walls anything but white, I can guess where the gap is but I have to admit I can't see it.

the colour in the pictures aren't great. The wall is actually white and the frame is anthracite grey. The plaster has fell out between the drywall and window frame so I am looking for a fix. Its only a few mm so looks like the obvious fix would be to use a caulk then paint over.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 pm 

deanomc wrote:
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. The reason what I am asking it that the window was plastered up to the window which looked great when it was first done but some of the plaster has now fell out leaving a gap. I was going to fill it in with filler but I guess this will crack and fall out again in a year or so. As for decorating, yes, the room is due to be decorated.

If the issue is exactly where the plaster touches the frame, yes something will have to give as the window frame will expand and contract, so the joint will crack. Caulk is the answer.

If plaster has fallen off a bit further away from the frame, say 5mm (less in practice) you should remove any crumbling plaster if it is ready to fall off, and fill with filler up to just before the frame. [Difficult to say what is what without seeing].

The idea with caulk is to have a small gap (say 1mm or a bit more 3mm?) and fill the gap with caulk. It can fill surface cracks but ... Find the least visible part of a window frame to start with, apply a bead of caulk. If you use a moist cloth or sponge (I prefer a thin moist cloth) you can run it over the bead, partly to press the caulk in the crack and partly to wipe off the excess. [EDIT. Run your finger over the bead first to push the caulk in the crack]. You have to get the idea of how much caulk to remove when you wipe it off, but you must not leave any on the frame. If you over do it, you might end up wiping off the emulsion off the wall :-( and also make the crack visible again. The caulk can be washed off with water.

For caulk I used to use Everbuild 125, I have used the Geocel stuff sold by toolstation and I thought it was very good but only used it once albeit a few tubes of it. You pays your money, you takes your choice :-)

If it helps a little.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
deanomc wrote:

If the issue is exactly where the plaster touches the frame, yes something will have to give as the window frame will expand and contract, so the joint will crack. Caulk is the answer.

If plaster has fallen off a bit further away from the frame, say 5mm (less in practice) you should remove any crumbling plaster if it is ready to fall off, and fill with filler up to just before the frame. [Difficult to say what is what without seeing].

The idea with caulk is to have a small gap (say 1mm or a bit more 3mm?) and fill the gap with caulk. It can fill surface cracks but ... Find the least visible part of a window frame to start with, apply a bead of caulk. If you use a moist cloth or sponge (I prefer a thin moist cloth) you can run it over the bead, partly to press the caulk in the crack and partly to wipe off the excess. [EDIT. Run your finger over the bead first to push the caulk in the crack]. You have to get the idea of how much caulk to remove when you wipe it off, but you must not leave any on the frame. If you over do it, you might end up wiping off the emulsion off the wall :-( and also make the crack visible again. The caulk can be washed off with water.

For caulk I used to use Everbuild 125, I have used the Geocel stuff sold by toolstation and I thought it was very good but only used it once albeit a few tubes of it. You pays your money, you takes your choice :-)

If it helps a little.

OchAye, really appreciate that answer. Really good stuff. This is my weekend work sorted! :)

Have a good one.