DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 am


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
I know this may be down to personal preference but I was just wondering people thoughts are. Or maybe there is a rule?

I've got white interior walls with Grey anchorite windows (some upvc, some aluminium) What colour silicone do I use around the windows. Grey are white?


Attachments:
window_grey.JPG
window_grey.JPG [ 98.64 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 8270
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 1565 times
Don't use silicone where you might want to paint in the future, use decorators caulk (if you decide on white) or a water based frame sealant which is available in different colours, both can be painted over.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.



For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : deanomc
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:44 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Wales
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 50 times
^+1 Don't use silicone.



For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : deanomc
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
ayjay wrote:
Don't use silicone where you might want to paint in the future, use decorators caulk (if you decide on white) or a water based frame sealant which is available in different colours, both can be painted over.


Thanks for that. That saves me a mistake.


Something like this?

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/Adshead-ratcliffe-arbomeric-mp10-lm-modified-polymer-sealant


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 845
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 197 times
Per your link, which I have not opened but reads "modified polymer sealant", products like CT1 and Soudall Fixall are much stronger than decorators caulk, and can be painted over. That's what I would use, but with care, experience & careful cleaning up to get a good final finish. As above, not silicone though.



For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : deanomc
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Wales
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 50 times
I feel that a polymer sealant is a bit of an over-kill for just cosmetic use, decorators caulk would be fine and easier
to tool to a tidy finish but it's a problem finding one that doesn't crack when over painted* - Screwfix mighty nemesis, Dunlop or Geocel seems to be OK so I read but no personal experience and you'll get many many different opinions from nothing wrong with the 99p one to they're all crap.

*And it'll depend on what paint too.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
As to colour. Is it a nicer finish on the eye to match the caulk/sealant to to the window frame or does everyone just use white. I want the cleanest looking finish.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 795 times
Been thanked: 895 times
Your photograph does not show much (at all) why/what you need to caulk. Anyhow, are you intending to redecorate the room(s) or you just want to apply caulk?

If the grey does not exactly match your windows forget it. If you use grey, it will smear on the white walls. All in all, you need to achieve the most straight line between wall and window, and the frame of the window can give you that straight line. So white, and then you overpaint the caulk with the same paint as on the walls when you decorate. Caulk is meant to be painted unlike silicone used in bathrooms etc.



For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : deanomc
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Wales
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 50 times
I think I can see a small gap between the frame and wall but then again the frame looks brown to me...

Anyway, I had this idea ~ never tried it, don't know if it's feasible, get some water based caulk, squeeze some
out in to a dish, mix in some emulsion used on the wall (or the frame colour) and then spatula it in (or the finger), wipe down with damp cloth to make it as flush as possible.
Obviously it would be lighter shade and there might be a problem with it cracking or failing like not 'set' might take an age too, have to try it - but it's an idea...



For this message the author jaeger has received gratitude : OchAye
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:18 am
Posts: 3516
Has thanked: 920 times
Been thanked: 488 times
Quote:
it's a problem finding one that doesn't crack when over painted


I found Polycell Decorator's Caulk to be dreadful to paint over. Evostick caulk is better but takes a while to dry properly.

I have found Wickes caulk the best so far: best for application, quick drying, and painting over.



For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : deanomc
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 795 times
Been thanked: 895 times
jaeger wrote:
I think I can see a small gap between the frame and wall but then again the frame looks brown to me...
Very dark brown (dark chocolate colour) here, the walls anything but white, I can guess where the gap is but I have to admit I can't see it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
OchAye wrote:
Your photograph does not show much (at all) why/what you need to caulk. Anyhow, are you intending to redecorate the room(s) or you just want to apply caulk?

If the grey does not exactly match your windows forget it. If you use grey, it will smear on the white walls. All in all, you need to achieve the most straight line between wall and window, and the frame of the window can give you that straight line. So white, and then you overpaint the caulk with the same paint as on the walls when you decorate. Caulk is meant to be painted unlike silicone used in bathrooms etc.



Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. The reason what I am asking it that the window was plastered up to the window which looked great when it was first done but some of the plaster has now fell out leaving a gap. I was going to fill it in with filler but I guess this will crack and fall out again in a year or so. As for decorating, yes, the room is due to be decorated.

Looks like to me that a simple caulk bead around it then a paint over.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
OchAye wrote:
jaeger wrote:
I think I can see a small gap between the frame and wall but then again the frame looks brown to me...
Very dark brown (dark chocolate colour) here, the walls anything but white, I can guess where the gap is but I have to admit I can't see it.


the colour in the pictures aren't great. The wall is actually white and the frame is anthracite grey. The plaster has fell out between the drywall and window frame so I am looking for a fix. Its only a few mm so looks like the obvious fix would be to use a caulk then paint over.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 795 times
Been thanked: 895 times
deanomc wrote:
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. The reason what I am asking it that the window was plastered up to the window which looked great when it was first done but some of the plaster has now fell out leaving a gap. I was going to fill it in with filler but I guess this will crack and fall out again in a year or so. As for decorating, yes, the room is due to be decorated.

Looks like to me that a simple caulk bead around it then a paint over.


If the issue is exactly where the plaster touches the frame, yes something will have to give as the window frame will expand and contract, so the joint will crack. Caulk is the answer.

If plaster has fallen off a bit further away from the frame, say 5mm (less in practice) you should remove any crumbling plaster if it is ready to fall off, and fill with filler up to just before the frame. [Difficult to say what is what without seeing].

The idea with caulk is to have a small gap (say 1mm or a bit more 3mm?) and fill the gap with caulk. It can fill surface cracks but ... Find the least visible part of a window frame to start with, apply a bead of caulk. If you use a moist cloth or sponge (I prefer a thin moist cloth) you can run it over the bead, partly to press the caulk in the crack and partly to wipe off the excess. [EDIT. Run your finger over the bead first to push the caulk in the crack]. You have to get the idea of how much caulk to remove when you wipe it off, but you must not leave any on the frame. If you over do it, you might end up wiping off the emulsion off the wall :-( and also make the crack visible again. The caulk can be washed off with water.

For caulk I used to use Everbuild 125, I have used the Geocel stuff sold by toolstation and I thought it was very good but only used it once albeit a few tubes of it. You pays your money, you takes your choice :-)

If it helps a little.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 pm
Posts: 9
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times
OchAye wrote:
deanomc wrote:
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. The reason what I am asking it that the window was plastered up to the window which looked great when it was first done but some of the plaster has now fell out leaving a gap. I was going to fill it in with filler but I guess this will crack and fall out again in a year or so. As for decorating, yes, the room is due to be decorated.

Looks like to me that a simple caulk bead around it then a paint over.


If the issue is exactly where the plaster touches the frame, yes something will have to give as the window frame will expand and contract, so the joint will crack. Caulk is the answer.

If plaster has fallen off a bit further away from the frame, say 5mm (less in practice) you should remove any crumbling plaster if it is ready to fall off, and fill with filler up to just before the frame. [Difficult to say what is what without seeing].

The idea with caulk is to have a small gap (say 1mm or a bit more 3mm?) and fill the gap with caulk. It can fill surface cracks but ... Find the least visible part of a window frame to start with, apply a bead of caulk. If you use a moist cloth or sponge (I prefer a thin moist cloth) you can run it over the bead, partly to press the caulk in the crack and partly to wipe off the excess. [EDIT. Run your finger over the bead first to push the caulk in the crack]. You have to get the idea of how much caulk to remove when you wipe it off, but you must not leave any on the frame. If you over do it, you might end up wiping off the emulsion off the wall :-( and also make the crack visible again. The caulk can be washed off with water.

For caulk I used to use Everbuild 125, I have used the Geocel stuff sold by toolstation and I thought it was very good but only used it once albeit a few tubes of it. You pays your money, you takes your choice :-)

If it helps a little.



OchAye, really appreciate that answer. Really good stuff. This is my weekend work sorted! :)

Have a good one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO