DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 am 
Newly registered Member

It seems that I need a 3 core cable to my hot water cylinder stat. The only 3 core I can find in the shops has live neutral and earth wires. I know with light switches the neutral can be used for live and should have a red sleeve on it but I am reluctant to use the earth wire with a sleeve. Is there a 3 core cable made that does not contain an earth or is it acceptable put a red sleeve on the earth wire of a cylinder stat?

thanks

Glassescase

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if the cylinder stat requires an earth or not, but you can get three core and earth-

dead link removed

It is also heat resistant, which is a good idea when wiring near a cylinder etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 pm 

You need a 4core Com-1-2-E

Com-1 make on fall.

Com-2 make on rise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi thescruff,
4 core? The instructions only show 3 terminals, 1, 2 and C. Is E earth? If using 4 core would I just leave the earth disconected?

Glassescase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:37 pm 
BANNED

0.75mm 3 core flex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 pm 

glassescase wrote:
Hi thescruff,
4 core? The instructions only show 3 terminals, 1, 2 and C. Is E earth? If using 4 core would I just leave the earth disconected?

Glassescase

You need 4 core because you shouldn't use the earth, some stats have an earth terminal you can use.

Brown-Com

Yellow-2.

Blue (sleeved)-1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 am 
Newly registered Member

4 core it is. Was surprised chap in the shop said use 3 core and sleeve the earth. .75 flex?.
This whole job has turned out to be more of a headache then I'd expected it to be.
Nothing has been "easy" and my set up does seem to match the norm and so the instrctions I have with all the products have come up short.

Everyones help and advise is appreciated. A trip to the shops for cable is on the cards for sometime this week.

Glassescase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 am 
BANNED

shouldn't he check to see if his valves are spring loaded to off before wasting money on 4 core ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:28 am 

glassescase wrote:
4 core it is. Was surprised chap in the shop said use 3 core and sleeve the earth. .75 flex?.
This whole job has turned out to be more of a headache then I'd expected it to be.
Nothing has been "easy" and my set up does seem to match the norm and so the instrctions I have with all the products have come up short.

Everyones help and advise is appreciated. A trip to the shops for cable is on the cards for sometime this week.

Glassescase

If you are having problems with wiring, post what you are trying to do, and with what, and we can help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 pm 

sean_ork wrote:
shouldn't he check to see if his valves are spring loaded to off before wasting money on 4 core ?

Its considered good practice to run an earth to all electrical parts of a central heating system. Even if the stat is double insulated , the cable needs to be protected by incorporating an earth conductor.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:13 pm 
BANNED

sparkydude wrote:
sean_ork wrote:

Its considered good practice to run an earth to all electrical parts of a central heating system. Even if the stat is double insulated , the cable needs to be protected by incorporating an earth conductor.

Nick

my point was that if the stat is just making and breaking why would it need 3 conducting cores ?

whilst it may be a change over switch it's possibly not going to be used as one, hence 3 core will do the job

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:43 pm 

As Scruff jas said the cable needed is a 3 conductor PLUS earth as the connections are COM and 1 make on fall of temperature
COM and 2 Make on rise of temperature

As the OP has stated he needs three cores we are to take it he is wiring a Y plan type of heating system where this is normal wiring practice .

Not saying your wrong, but if he does need three live conductors then your way would see him using the earth as a live conductor and this is prohibited in the wiring regulations.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:57 pm 
BANNED

groan ....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm 

:wtf: is that meant to mean ????

If you cannot contribute constructive help then whats the point in posting at all ???