DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi,

I have been trying to change the colour of my laminate kitchen. I am stuck on my first door! I want want a nice smooth gloss finish. I thought that spraying would be the best way forward with a Wagner W100 paint sprayer. I have primed with Zinsser 123 and then thrown multiple coats of Ronseal cupboard paint on. The finish seems to have strange patterns in it no matter how deep I sand. I've tried going back to 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, applying a cutting compound and polishing but I can't seem to sort it. Please advise!

Thanks.

Attachment:
20180720_150756hg.jpg
20180720_150756hg.jpg [ 195.57 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:20 pm
Posts: 50
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Looks like the paint doesn’t want to stick to the edging of that cupboard at the recess, it’s bubbled a little?

My guess is that it had some grease on the cupboard door or something similar and doesn’t want to stick.

With kitchen cupboards I go dulux trade super grip, undercoat, undercoat, topcoat, topcoat.

You’re never going to get the best finish on melamine mind but, with the sanding you’re doing you should be getting a nice finish.

Try degreasing, sanding wipe wash degrease then go back at it with the ronseal paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:35 am
Posts: 684
Location: West Sussex
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 155 times
i always put a coat of zinsser Bin before painting kitchen cupboards.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
dubman2 wrote:
i always put a coat of zinsser Bin before painting kitchen cupboards.


I did put a coat of that on, that's what I should've said. The primer went on great, was considering leaving it! but I wanted the blue.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
dandecor wrote:
Looks like the paint doesn’t want to stick to the edging of that cupboard at the recess, it’s bubbled a little?

My guess is that it had some grease on the cupboard door or something similar and doesn’t want to stick.

With kitchen cupboards I go dulux trade super grip, undercoat, undercoat, topcoat, topcoat.

You’re never going to get the best finish on melamine mind but, with the sanding you’re doing you should be getting a nice finish.

Try degreasing, sanding wipe wash degrease then go back at it with the ronseal paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The Primer went on great so I don't think there should be any issues with grease etc. Each time I sprayed the top coat the finish was a bit rough. I just thought I had to flat it then polish it but as in the pic that's not working for me. Do you sand between every coat? if so to what grit?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:20 pm
Posts: 50
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Like I said I suspect it’s grease, I’ve had a similar problem before but a bit worse.

All I can suggest is do a second cupboard door but properly degrease it and see if it happens again.

123 and super grip are fairly identical, not sure about using BIN on cupboard doors but we all stick to what we know works!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
dandecor wrote:
Like I said I suspect it’s grease, I’ve had a similar problem before but a bit worse.

All I can suggest is do a second cupboard door but properly degrease it and see if it happens again.

123 and super grip are fairly identical, not sure about using BIN on cupboard doors but we all stick to what we know works!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Ok, I'm starting again, wish me luck. :cb Thanks for the advice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2600
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 530 times
It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?

edit. is it a metallic paint ? it looks like mottling, iirc that a issue with what your thinning out the paint with or its still wet when your recoating it


Last edited by Bob225 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Posts: 8098
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 574 times
Been thanked: 1685 times
Did you do two coats of BIN? I find that the second coat gets it all nice and level and it allows you to gently sand it flat but watch the thinning on edges. Another cause can be atmospheric was it really hot and humid when you did it? I must admit it does look paint reaction, try meths to wash down.

Good luck on door two :thumbright:

DWD

_________________
Painting with BIN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Bob225 wrote:
It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?


I just flushed it with some white spirit, which I also used to thin down the paint before spraying.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
dewaltdisney wrote:
Did you do two coats of BIN? I find that the second coat gets it all nice and level and it allows you to gently sand it flat but watch the thinning on edges. Another cause can be atmospheric was it really hot and humid when you did it? I must admit it does look paint reaction, try meths to wash down.

Good luck on door two :thumbright:

DWD


I did use 2 coats of bin. The spray finish was even but stippled though. I sanded this to 600 before the paint went on. My garage was pretty cool when I created this mess. Is meths better than white spirit then? I didn't think that mattered. I'm not risking another door until I have a clue what I'm doing! I've already starting sand this one back. :huray:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Posts: 8098
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 574 times
Been thanked: 1685 times
I think methylated spirits is a good clean down. I always use it and I have had no failures. I think it has better degreasing capability. I think white spirit leaves a residue and this could have reacted with the paint. Sugar soap is also a good degreaser but you would need to wash that off well after. Try meths, if it goes wrong you can always have a good slug to lessen the pain :lol:

DWD

_________________
Painting with BIN



For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : OchAye
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Bob225 wrote:
It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?

edit. is it a metallic paint ? it looks like mottling, iirc that a issue with what your thinning out the paint with or its still wet when your recoating it


No, it's not metallic paint, just grey/blue ronseal cupboard paint.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Posts: 12
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
dewaltdisney wrote:
I think methylated spirits is a good clean down. I always use it and I have had no failures. I think it has better degreasing capability. I think white spirit leaves a residue and this could have reacted with the paint. Sugar soap is also a good degreaser but you would need to wash that off well after. Try meths, if it goes wrong you can always have a good slug to lessen the pain :lol:

DWD


Ok, I'll give that a try. TBH I did think white spirits was hard work when cleaning, didn't seem to be as good as turps if i remember. Thanks for the help.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:24 pm
Posts: 876
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 228 times
It's got to be the white spirit, just oily residue as above.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO