DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm 

I managed to land a pair of 4x6-step telescopic/combination ladders by Werner.

First impressions go something like Good grief.... they weigh a bl@@dy ton! Well 27kg - which I knew on paper, but hadn't fully thought what that would feel like when 2m long and manoeuvring through houses. I've only had basic/traditional stepladder types before so its a bit of a shock.

On the other hand, they're not (quite) unmanageable and are 'considerably' more stable than I'm used to. Which was the main point - I typically work alone, and recent threads elsewhere have reminded me what a bloke's health is worth. The other reason is that they give me the most height/flexibility from something that'll fit inside the van, under domestic ceilings and in my small storage unit. They're a bit wide at 2' 7", but except with unusually low ceilings and narrow stairs, they should do pretty much everything I need.

I should mention that 'little giant' do a better version at this size too, which are both a bit lighter and EN131 rated (the larger two sizes of the werners are only american ANSI to 300lb/136kg). But sadly LGs almost never come up used nearby, and even the classic versions are too expensive for me, new. Though i now understand why people would pay for a saving in weight!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Kev888 has received gratitude : Argyll
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-75M-Multi-Purpose-Aluminium-Ladder-Platform-Step-With-2PLATES-New-UK-STOCK-/183018847051

I picked up these at the beginning of the year which I ended up getting for free :-)

I've found them excellent so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 pm 

Thats good to know, I haven't tried that kind before :thumbright:

I've been testing the werner extending combination doodahs today. I mostly got them to be big and stable a-frame/step ladders yet also fit vertically in the storage unit and flat in the back of the van. In this respect I'm thoroughly pleased; as steps, they will go to a working height of about 4.5m, which is much higher and more flexible than my last ones, and yet they feel more stable too.

In extension mode, they extend to about 7m tall; the plan had been to sell my traditional extension ladders (which only go to 7.4m). But.. not so sure now.. the werners weigh an extra 5kg and you're supposed to extend them on the ground (i.e. up to 7m) then 'walk' them up to raise them (I've always preferred to raise and then extend). Maybe I could go half way by making them 5.5m long on the ground and then extending the lower portion after raising. More testing needed, but I would keep the traditional extension ladders if storage space/length was no problem.

The werners are obviously far bigger than sensible for most domestic uses indoors, but I tried them as step-ladders on the stairs to reach the high ceiling above and they were fab. Though at nearly 0.8m wide they won't fit in the stair-wells of quite a lot of older houses, so i wouldn't really choose them for this purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:17 pm 

A bit more testing this weekend. I'm again impressed by how stable these ladders are as a-frame stepladders (including on stairs & steps, where wide enough), but increasingly of the opinion that this configuration is their main thing.

They may technically also be used as extension ladders. But 4m is their minimum height, and IMO perhaps also their only truly usable height unless you have someone to help you put them up. They're just too unwieldy for me to safely 'walk' them up if pre-extended to greater length, it feels dangerously uncontrolled, and dangerous on my back too trying to keep them shoved into the corner of the wall/ground. It was more controlled raising them at only 4m and then extending the lower portion (which is the only one in reach) to a total of about 5.5m, but its still much more awkward than proper extension ladders.

I won these used, but if buying new ones with free choice, I'd seriously suggest considering if the shorter versions would do. These are really great for use outside, but really too heavy and bulky to use in customer's houses or as extension ladders, unless desperate.